Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incoming: NVD

Default Re: Incoming: NVD

I think he just threw up some old stock for a hot minute. All the PG peeps were all over it.

I've been getting used to the guitar for a couple of days.

The pickups are better than I initially thought. Still a little too thick (overwound) for me, but I can tell they're actually pretty decent quality. I might swap their positions and see what it's like (for a thinner/brighter bridge pickup and juicier neck pickup).

The fret work is also better than I thought at first. A couple days of playing knocked some of the crap off. The end bevels are actually halfway decent for an Epi. Still will be going to skinny frets, though. Will give me an opportunity to add some more radius to the board and replace the fretboard dots with period-correct ones while I'm at it. The savings I got off of regular sticker price will pay for a re-fret.

The nut is bad, and so are the tuners. Intonation is abysmal. I will be fixing this myself at the next string change.

I am learning not to care about the slight cheesiness of the hard case hardware and tolex. It looks OK from a distance, and it just needs to be able to get the thing from point A to point B with some semblance of style.

Hard not to think about the Custom Shop Amos set for this guitar! If only the stock ones weren't so decent already. Also considering PAF Masters or PAF '59s (or some combination of the two) instead of Seths.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-13-2019 at 11:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Out of Stock!

I wanted to get a V kit from them a few years ago and Phil told me they stopped making it and the X.
    PG is going to do the Explorer & V full time again. I know everyone was dying for that update

Quote Originally Posted by blakejcan View Post
    PG is going to do the Explorer & V full time again. I know everyone was dying for that update
    That's cool. They must've gotten some sort of licensing agreement or something. I'm itching to do another kit from them but looking at the LP Junior this time. I play my SG Junior that I did in 2011 all the time. Recently replaced the bridge though for one with individual saddles.

I have considered, and inquired about, those kits a few times, but he doesn't offer an alternate fretboard or frets. If I'm going to do a build from that stage up, I want to be able to specify a curvier board and skinny frets, and also work with someone who is more open to doing work outside of the boxes they have established. A Gibson style guitar with old-school Fender radius and frets is a dream of mine, but it's hard to find a way there outside of a complete scratch build.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Well, the final word: I kept the thing. I mentioned some of the issues to my Sweetwater salesman, and we agreed that I would keep the guitar if he refunded enough money to get a new nut put in by my tech. And I am growing to like the pickups now that I've got them going through my better amps at real volumes; I might be able to avoid a pickup swap with a little tweaking. I really think that swapping their positions, while it might seem counterintuitive, might have some promise. I find the bridge one a little too thick, and the neck one a little too stiff. And the way these are wound, the neck pickup should have plenty enough juice in it to be able to serve as a bridge pickup. Either that, or maybe I'll try them in parallel. Or do the swap, but just run the neck (formerly bridge) pickup in parallel. Maybe do a little dewaxing and some mag swapping along the way. But in regards to the pickups, I think "the bones" are good enough to work with, at least for now.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; Yesterday at 03:34 PM.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

still gonna go for the new bridge & refinish and whatever else?

still gonna go for the new bridge & refinish and whatever else?
    Yes indeed. Proper '50s V parts (brass tailpiece, sunken ferrules, etc.) from that German supplier. All the hardware, guards, plates, ferrules, etc. off of this one will get sold off to someone who wants to make their '58 into an Amos. I might let the case go too, as I am starting not to dig it's shape when it comes to transport.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    Well, the final word: I kept the thing. I mentioned some of the issues to my Sweetwater salesman, and we agreed that I would keep the guitar if he refunded enough money to get a new nut put in by my tech. And I am growing to like the pickups now that I've got them going through my better amps at real volumes; I might be able to avoid a pickup swap with a little tweaking. I really think that swapping their positions, while it might seem counterintuitive, might have some promise. I find the bridge one a little too thick, and the neck one a little too stiff. And the way these are wound, the neck pickup should have plenty enough juice in it to be able to serve as a bridge pickup. Either that, or maybe I'll try them in parallel. Or do the swap, but just run the neck (formerly bridge) pickup in parallel. Maybe do a little dewaxing and some mag swapping along the way. But in regards to the pickups, I think "the bones" are good enough to work with, at least for now.
    I find de-waxing and a magnet swap fixes a lot of the Epi pickup woes

looks like PG just included custom orders for V's and explorers again.

You can pick your fret size & fretboard and just about everything else except neck profile which is wonky

https://precisionguitarkits.com/product/v-type-custom

You can pick your fret size & fretboard and just about everything else except neck profile which is wonky

You cannot pick your radius, and they don't have 6230 (skinny) frets as an option.

I've been over this multiple times with him. He's not interested in accommodating anything outside of his CNC programs, or outside of materials that he already stocks. I'd have to get slots only (no frets) and have someone else radius and fret the board.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Man, I'd be happy with that the way it is. Glad he is offering this again.

Now, V or LP Jr DC? I've been pretty set on doing a LP Jr DC in Army Drab Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Wattage View Post
    I find de-waxing and a magnet swap fixes a lot of the Epi pickup woes
    Yup. I dewaxxed a few some years ago and there was a TON of wax. Once I got the outside wax gone, it opened the pickup right up, like taking a blanket off a speaker cabinet.

Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out.