Thread: Sparkle red TS808 in the house...

Ultimate Tone Slacker Red_Label's Avatar

Default Sparkle red TS808 in the house...

Just picked-up a limited edition SPARKLE RED TS808. I haven't been a huge fan of Tube Screamers for a while now. There are usually just so many better (more articulate/transparent) OD pedals these days. But this little sweetie (Friedman 1530 Platinum board, bottom row, third from left) is so clear and transparent. It really is pretty much just a "MORE" pedal. I've used it into the front of my Bad Cat 1x12 combo and Surreal LC100 head so far. Need to try it into my Retro King head at some point as well. Not really concerned with trying it into my Deluxe Reverb FSR, because that amp is just so clean. Low gain pedals like the 808 are always more satisfying into an amp that can produce a little more gain/compression by itself.

Last edited by Red_Label; 08-05-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Default Re: Sparkle red TS808 in the house...

Just saw that today in GC.

Never a TS808 guy - but I get why people dig them. Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

I love the finish on those pedals!

anything different on the inside than the normal ts808 they are selling? it looks great!

Ultimate Tone Slacker Red_Label's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    anything different on the inside than the normal ts808 they are selling? it looks great!

I'm not sure Jeremy. I think it's just cosmetic. I will say that the 808 seems a lot more transparent than the TS9s that I've had. They always seemed to muddy-up my tone. I even had one that I did the "ultimate mod" on.... which was basically all of the best known mods in one kit. I had liked that, but when I bought my first OCD (v1.4 I believe), it blew the TS9 out of the water for dynamics, etc running into the Bogner Shiva that I had at the time. But the 808s seem to be just a really clear boost. They'll add hair and sheen to the tone, but seem very transparent.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

cool. a buddy of mine has an old 808 that he uses all the time and it sounds great. i havent had a stock ts anything in a while. got an analogman silver modded vox valvetone, wh green rhino, and barber ltd. all are cool but not quite like my buddies 808.

That one sure looks outstanding, and I'm glad it's workin' for ya!
    "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

The classic TS808 is not muddy at all.
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

I've always preferred 808s to TS9s. When I finally retired the original I'd been using since 1980, I got a Maxon 808 to take its place in the stable. Very, very close in sound to the old one.

Still, by then I'd moved on to the more tweakable VFE Pale Horse, and now to a Valve Reamer which is Lovepedal's 808/SD9 hybrid. But I wouldn't feel complete without a TS variant.
    "Brains have been washed. Wheels have been greased. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory."

A couple of questions if I may,

I’m looking at these reissue 808s now. Are they made in Japan and do they say it on the pedal and or the box? Are they truly spec wise the same as the old style? I know Maxon don’t make them anymore. Individual jacks etc no surface mount technology? And does the reissue 808 have plenty of bite when called upon?
    And the Meek shall inherit the Earth