Thread: Empress Buffer vs Boss Buffers

Default Empress Buffer vs Boss Buffers

Hi Guys,

How would a Empress Buffer(not the plus) compare to a Boss pedal? (specifically a TU-2 & SD-1w)
    Last edited by Skater; 08-06-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    Squire Custom Telecaster w/TB6
    Jackson DK2QM
    Marshall DSL40C w/V30
    Mogami
    Ernie Ball
    Dunlop
    BOSS

Default Re: Empress Buffer vs Boss Buffers

Generally, I'd say that Boss makes a pretty good buffer. The only Boss pedal that has ever given me a problem with the buffer was the old PSM-5 power supply/master switch. That thing noticeably did weird stuff to your tone.

I mean, don't get me wrong . . . Empress makes great stuff (I love their tremolo pedal on my board), but my ears aren't discerning enough to cork sniff between types of pedal buffers.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Default Re: Empress Buffer vs Boss Buffers

Here are my thoughts, not proven but just my theoretical ramblings...

We know buffers “preserve tone” by converting a high impedance signal from passive guitar pickups to a low impedance signal. The higher the input impedance, the better it should preserve the high end, at least to a point. When the TU-3 came out, players noticed it was brighter than the TU-2 it replaced. It turns out the input impedance of the TU-3 was higher (1.2M ohms) vs the TU-2 (1M ohms). In fact, the TU-3w tuner has a 1M ohm impedance along with the switch for true bypass.

The Empress Buffer also has a 1M ohm impedance. However, it also has a second buffer for the output side of the pedalboard. This means the amp is always being driven by the same output impedance and circuitry, and your drive pedals are driving a common input impedance (of the 2nd buffer). Also, you have a common location for pedalboard in/out.

I love nerdy stuff and my budget would allow for a stand alone buffer, but I still haven’t done it. $99 can get a really cool pedals that actually “does something” when you’ve already got a buffer in the tuner.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!