Thread: Shout Out to Chris Carter (SIN Pickups)

Default Shout Out to Chris Carter (SIN Pickups)

In case you guys don't already know, Chris Carter of SIN Pickups fame has recently opened a Reverb store and he's currently offering some cool and truly custom pickups at unbelievable prices.

Here's a link to his shop: LINK

You can literally have a pickup made to your crazy specs for as little as $35-$40. Most of his standard designs are really great, as well.

I have yet to be disappointed by anything he has made for me.

He doesn't advertise them, but his Axis clones are killer (I own 3 sets). I also have an Evo Wolfgang bridge model he made that is like a perfected Custom Custom. I even purchased a custom twin-blade pickup from him recently and he made me a cool hex/blade hybrid to my specs that slays.

I don't know where you can get better sounding pickups for the money, especially if you have an oddball design or combo you've been wanting to try, but aren't ready to drop Custom Shop dollars to try it out.

He took a short hiatus from the scene, but I'm personally glad to see him back! For anyone looking to step up their pickup game on a budget, I say give him a try!

Default Re: Shout Out to Chris Carter (SIN Pickups)

That’s pretty cheap. You have to take advantage of sourcing and buying in bulk to handwind at those prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone dealt with him recently? I just googled Sin pickups, and there are a lot of complaints about orders and business practices going back to at least 2011.

It does sound like a great deal if they're quality pickups. No idea how he could make money hand winding pickups and selling for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by piblock View Post
    Has anyone dealt with him recently?
    See my post

Also, here's a fellow forum member's recent experience: LINK

Every one of the 60+ Reverb reviews he has racked up during the past 3 months have been completely positive. He seems to be in a much more stable position than in years past.

Plus, there's essentially zero risk purchasing through Reverb...if you don't get your pickup, you'll get your money back. Pretty simple.

That said, it may take him a week or so to get your order made up and shipped, so I recommend going in with a little patience.

Can't comment on his cost vs profit, but you can certainly make pickups very reasonably these days. Raw parts only amount to a few dollars for a complete pickup when you buy them in the quantities he does.

Ultimately, I can confirm that everything I've received from Chris has been spot-on to what I ordered and/or discussed with him.

tonewood instigator

I don't see anything on his shop suggesting it, does he do single coils as well?
    Once I had myself a million, now I've only got a dime.
    Difference don't seem quite as bad today.
    With a nickel or a million I was searchin' all the time
    For something that I never lost or left behind.

Tone Member

He may need to stop directly naming the pickups he's copying. Someone will eventually take issue with that.

Yep. Not to mention advertising double crème. although he's gotta be doing significant biz to piss off larry D.
    Playing:
    Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
    Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
    Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
    Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    I don't see anything on his shop suggesting it, does he do single coils as well?
    He had single coils listed on his old web page: LINK

Might be worth reaching out to him.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesIsBlood12 View Post
    He may need to stop directly naming the pickups he's copying. Someone will eventually take issue with that.
    Yeah, the naming part does seem risky, but he doesn't appear bothered

I do know that the internal designs usually have his own tweaks and are not exact copies unless ordered that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike Blues View Post
    Yep. Not to mention advertising double crème. although he's gotta be doing significant biz to piss off larry D.
    There are dozens of companies offering double cream. He's a small target compared to someone like SD in the market space

I ordered from him earlier in the year and they were sent promptly. No issues at all. Easy guy to work with.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Thanks MC. I may order something from him to see how it goes. Worst case scenario I'm out $40 and still looking.

Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post

There are dozens of companies offering double cream. He's a small target compared to someone like SD in the market space
    Like I said...which is BS in and of itself. Defend the trade mark or sod off.
    Playing:
    Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
    Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
    Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
    Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Ordered something from him off Reverb. Wrong item arrived.

He said to send it back for exchange with right item. He confirmed the item was returned, but it's been crickets since. No reply to emails.