Thread: Pedal renders my pickup selectors useless?!

Default Pedal renders my pickup selectors useless?!

Name:  IMG_20190805_223533.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  69.4 KB

Here's my current setup: Guitar > tuner > Wah > DOD envelope filter > compressor > TS clone > Big Muff Green Russian > Phaser > Flashback X4

The problem is when I have the big muff on it seems as though nothing changes when I change my pickup selector. It's the same on different guitars, 3 single coils on my strat, humbuckers on a hollow body, split coils, and out of phase switch, nothing changes the tone through the big muff. Is this normal??

Default Re: Pedal renders my pickup selectors useless?!

Put the big muff first in chain. It wants to "see" the pickup.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Really? I've never seen any overdrive or distortion/fuzz places before a wah or envelope filter...

Fuzz pedals are kinda special, though. Their classic 'sound' is the pedal first in the chain.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

A big muff, especially at higher gain settings has a particular sound. Depending on how you've set the tone knob (which is really a kinda mid scoop) this sound can overpower the difference between pickup selections.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    A big muff, especially at higher gain settings has a particular sound. Depending on how you've set the tone knob (which is really a kinda mid scoop) this sound can overpower the difference between pickup selections.
    I completely agree. When I saw the pic I knew it was going to be the Big Muff.

Muffs don’t need to be first for the most part, but it wouldn’t hurt to try it by itself to confirm.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

I completely agree. When I saw the pic I knew it was going to be the Big Muff.

Muffs don’t need to be first for the most part, but it wouldn’t hurt to try it by itself to confirm.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

#fact

I call it “the great equalizer” because it makes most guitars sound the same: like a guitar through a big muff

I wouldn't say it makes everything same. At least mine doesn't (little big muff).

Certainly it does sound the similar, but there is noticeable difference between different pickups still. Mainly how thick and/or growly it is.

Then again I run mine on low settings to overdriven amp for brighter, more wailing sound. Rather than for wooly growl. If you keep sustain past noon I can see everything sounding the same.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Default Pedal renders my pickup selectors useless?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    If you keep sustain past noon I can see everything sounding the same.
    Yup. Guilty.

Also I’m sure it depends on the version like you point out.

If the first pedal before a fuzz is TB, will the bypassed pedal mess with the fuzz?
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD MH-1000HS (Pegasus/HRn), ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HX FX & Stomp, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

Quote Originally Posted by Synapsys View Post
    If the first pedal before a fuzz is TB, will the bypassed pedal mess with the fuzz?
    Only when it’s on. But a Muff isn’t a Fuzz Face/Tonebender/Treble Booster/Maestro/etc. where a change in impedance will affect the tone. It acts more like a Distortion.

Another interesting thing is that Eric Johnson, one of the kings of Fuzz Face, prefers his after a buffered pedal.... so always try all combinations.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!