Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lunchbox amp shootout with 12 amps! (Mesa, Orange, EVH, Peavey etc)

Default Re: Lunchbox amp shootout with 12 amps! (Mesa, Orange, EVH, Peavey etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    Well, ****... On the one hand, this couldn't have come at a more opportune time, as I just sold my Jim Root Terror and am trying to decide on a new amp. On the other hand, you actually manage to make the JRT sound good, so I know for a fact I can't trust your vidoes
    Haha! Well, the Jim Root is a very simple amp like most Orange amps. I didn't do any sneaky or secret stuff. What you're hearing is just the guitar into the amp and an IR. NO effects or additional eq etc except for a noise gate after the amp to clear out some hiss. But the amp sounds great through my real cab too. It does have that Orange sound of course so that may not be your thing. What are you looking for in a new amp? Maybe I can help you to decide?
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjon View Post
    Haha! Well, the Jim Root is a very simple amp like most Orange amps. I didn't do any sneaky or secret stuff. What you're hearing is just the guitar into the amp and an IR. NO effects or additional eq etc except for a noise gate after the amp to clear out some hiss. But the amp sounds great through my real cab too. It does have that Orange sound of course so that may not be your thing. What are you looking for in a new amp? Maybe I can help you to decide?
    I kinda like the Orange sound, but I could never get it sound like it had any actual presence, even with treble cranked and 10-band EQ in the FX loop. Played it through a PPC412 loaded with V30s and still sounded dull to me. And it gets really fizzy once you go past 2 o'clock on the gain knob. Great if you play Monster Magnet, terrible if you play Megadeth.

Tried a Mesa mini recto, liked it, but way out of my price range until a used one comes along.
    Tried a PRS MT15, couldn't get it to mellow out - has tons of gain on tap and doesn't really seem to give you the option of not-ALL-of-the-gain-please-and-thank-you.
    Thought about the EVH LBX II, but I already own the 100w head, and I worry it might be a disappointment. Esp since the full size one sounds awful through V30s. No store here carries it, so can't try it out.

TBH, most of those amps sound very good in your demo, but they also sound way more similar to one another than in my IRL experience with them. Could of course be my very forgiving and warm speakers, though.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    I kinda like the Orange sound, but I could never get it sound like it had any actual presence, even with treble cranked and 10-band EQ in the FX loop. Played it through a PPC412 loaded with V30s and still sounded dull to me. And it gets really fizzy once you go past 2 o'clock on the gain knob. Great if you play Monster Magnet, terrible if you play Megadeth.

Tried a Mesa mini recto, liked it, but way out of my price range until a used one comes along.
    Tried a PRS MT15, couldn't get it to mellow out - has tons of gain on tap and doesn't really seem to give you the option of not-ALL-of-the-gain-please-and-thank-you.
    Thought about the EVH LBX II, but I already own the 100w head, and I worry it might be a disappointment. Esp since the full size one sounds awful through V30s. No store here carries it, so can't try it out.

TBH, most of those amps sound very good in your demo, but they also sound way more similar to one another than in my IRL experience with them. Could of course be my very forgiving and warm speakers, though.
    Yeah, the speaker you play them through makes all the difference indeed.
    About the Orange amps: I was actually thinking of buying a Depth Finder by amptweaker. Just to have depth and presence for my amps that don't have these features... Seems kinda cool!

OwnHammer.com

Going to pick up a Micro Dark with the 8” cab in a few hours. $200, includes a Tube Screamer mini.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Going to pick up a Micro Dark with the 8” cab in a few hours. $200, includes a Tube Screamer mini.
    Great! Let us know how it sounds!

OwnHammer.com

The 8" speaker is pretty much what you'd expect from that. With my POD XT in the loop for the EQ, I can get a lot of different sounds out of it. The TS in front makes it more metal-y for sure.

Overall, I'm happy. Can't wait to get a 4X12 to go with it.

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Great collection of amps! And cool video.

Of course, I agree that the HK is missing.

I'm sort of LOL though - they all sound very similar. I mean, there are clearly notable differences. I like the EVH 5150III way better than the Peavey for example. But it really seemed that most of those were really in the same ballpark. I really liked a lot of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

The 8" speaker is pretty much what you'd expect from that. With my POD XT in the loop for the EQ, I can get a lot of different sounds out of it. The TS in front makes it more metal-y for sure.

Overall, I'm happy. Can't wait to get a 4X12 to go with it.
    Awesome! How's the low end on that 8 inch cab?

OwnHammer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Great collection of amps! And cool video.

Of course, I agree that the HK is missing.

I'm sort of LOL though - they all sound very similar. I mean, there are clearly notable differences. I like the EVH 5150III way better than the Peavey for example. But it really seemed that most of those were really in the same ballpark. I really liked a lot of them.
    Thanks, I appreciate it!
    You guys have definitely convinced me that I need a H&K one day!

In other news: it looks like I'll finally be getting an Orange Tiny Terror soon! Can't wait to start including that in my videos.

OwnHammer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjon View Post
    Awesome! How's the low end on that 8 inch cab?
    Not much to speak of. It’s definitely a practice amp/novelty (the cabinet, not the amp). It’ll get LOUD, though.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Van Noord's Avatar

Yup, definitely need some H&K representation, as well as some Engl. For some added tonal variety if nothing else. (Too many Orange amps for my liking and the other amps are all kind of share the same tone foundation all being drawn from the SLO/Recto/5150 vein)

I have two lunchbox heads, a PRS MT15 and an Engl Gigmaster 15. I feel I'm pretty set with those two, but you never know. Maybe I'll try an Orange, but it would have to have a full eq, and I would likely be boosting the front end with something for my main sound. Nothing too small either.

Mojo's Minions

I have the Mark V:25 head with the two V30 Mini-Recto cab stack, and the Mark V:35 combo. I love how versatile these amps are...far more than you demonstrated in the video. Not a slam...a full demo of these amps takes at least an hour. And I don't typically use the gain that most guys use these days. I also need CLEAN cleans.

I will point out one other characteristic of the smaller Mark amps. My DC-3 and my Maverick 212 combo both have that EL84 "chime". But to me, the EL84s in the little Mark Vs sound more like a big bottle amp...and the chime is still there if you want it.

I enjoyed the video very much, but the Mark amps are my choice. Terrific amps; expensive, but worth it. YMMV.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

Love the demo! You dialed in great tones, IMO. I really like the MT15 here. Those big bottles definitely make that amp stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Love the demo! You dialed in great tones, IMO. I really like the MT15 here. Those big bottles definitely make that amp stand out.
    Thanks!

I got a Tiny Terror today. Used but in great shape! The pilot light isn't working so I ordered one from Orange.
    I'm planning a couple of great videos with this amp... Should be fun!

OwnHammer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Thanks!

I got a Tiny Terror today. Used but in great shape! The pilot light isn't working so I ordered one from Orange.
    I'm planning a couple of great videos with this amp... Should be fun!

OwnHammer.com

I put my POD XT Live in the Dark Terror's loop to use the EQ. It's only a 4-band, cut 9 & 10k completely, jacked 150 all the way up, and cut 1db at 850. This thing sounds super mean now, especially with my Schecter with two EMG 81s in drop C. Also have a TS-mini in front, level & tone cranked, drive nearly off.

It's not like there are nuts-shaking lows or anything, but it sounds much fuller now, with none of the fizz it had.

Not much to speak of. It’s definitely a practice amp/novelty (the cabinet, not the amp). It’ll get LOUD, though.
    I play a Micro Dark into a 212 with Cannabis Rex speakers, and it can get ridiculously loud. I'm in a Sabbath tribute, and it can easily carry the onstage sound of that band, no matter how loud we play.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

Finally got to listen. Great job! Nice playing and I love that you played the same riffs on each amp and didnt load up effects like so many demos do. Its always hard to actually get a guage of what the amp or pickup (for pickup demos) really sound like when they are effects laden.

Which one is your favorite? I dont believe you said.
    I had a hard time picking. To my ears, (Im hearing impaired so my ears are not keen) there was not a ton of difference. Just small nuances. I really dont understand why there are so many different Orange minis. ? Are they notably different in person, or to a keen ear? They sounded very similar to me.. I thought the Brent Hinds had the best clean of the oranges, and the Root the best gain. But Ill put hearing aids in and give another listen.. haha

Anyhow, Nice Job!!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Quote Originally Posted by BloodRose View Post
    Finally got to listen. Great job! Nice playing and I love that you played the same riffs on each amp and didnt load up effects like so many demos do. Its always hard to actually get a guage of what the amp or pickup (for pickup demos) really sound like when they are effects laden.

Which one is your favorite? I dont believe you said.
    I had a hard time picking. To my ears, (Im hearing impaired so my ears are not keen) there was not a ton of difference. Just small nuances. I really dont understand why there are so many different Orange minis. ? Are they notably different in person, or to a keen ear? They sounded very similar to me.. I thought the Brent Hinds had the best clean of the oranges, and the Root the best gain. But Ill put hearing aids in and give another listen.. haha

Anyhow, Nice Job!!
    Thank you!

Abou the Orange amps, I made this new video after I did the Lunchbox amp comparison. Mainly because I finally got the Tiny Terror to round off the collection:

This video is a bit more detailed. I definitely hear significant differences with all the Oranges. They all work well for different things. For example, I really dig the clean tones on the Dual Terror but I prefer the gain sounds of the Tiny Terror. The Brent Hinds sounds like a cranked Marshall whilst the Rocker 15 has a more classic Orange sound. The Dark Terror sounds vastly different than the similar looking Jim Root imho mainly because the Jim Root has much more present mids, which I prefer. The OR15 is also a little scooped with high gain, so with less present mids (attack) so that amp works a bit better for lower gain genres than for example the Jim Root (which has the same pcb but with different values). Especially at the A/B section at the end you'll hear the differences quite well.

As far as the other amps goes it's hard to make a choice since they all have cool characteristics to them. I love the MT15 a lot for a great overall rock/metal sound with very nice cleans but I also love the mini Recto a lot since I'm just such a fan of that raw Recto sound. The Laney is amazing in it's own right and has a tonne of features. For a tight and aggressive metal sound the EVH is hard to beat. The Mark V 35 is amazing but much more pricey than the others. If you're really into the Peavey 5150/6505, the 6505 MH is hard to beat.

So as you can see they're all good in their own right... I love them all.

OwnHammer.com