Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone with "good ears" tell me this overdrive is doing different? (Video)

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Default Can someone with "good ears" tell me this overdrive is doing different? (Video)

https://youtu.be/nhSw6fbK2N0

I have watched this video several times and the Rocktron Austin Gold catches my attention every time. What is it doing differently than all the others? Boosting or cutting a frequency range that the other pedals aren't?

It comes in around 2:30 and again around 9:20.

I do not have any studio or engineering experience so I do not know exactly what I am hearing or what one would need to do to cop a similar sound.

Default Re: Can someone with "good ears" tell me this overdrive is doing different? (Video)

to my ears it has more emphasis in the low mids and a lot less gain than most of the other pedals, so you're not getting the fizzy top end some of the other pedals give you. With less gain you're also getting less compression. It has a lot more natural sound than a lot of those pedals.

Ultimate Tone Slacker ICTGoober's Avatar

Default Re: Can someone with "good ears" tell me this overdrive is doing different? (Video)

Ah, Johan Segeborn always has good comparo vids...

I'd say the Rocktron Austin Gold simply has less overdrive. The Metal Zone sounds like ****.

So more of a boost than an overdrive? Is that all?

Mojo's Minions

I don't know what this pedal sounds like under any other setting, but it sounds like a pedal where the scoop and treble boost are narrow bandwidth ranges -like putting a graphic EQ after an overdrive.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

A couple of comments:

#1 - That guy is totally an Ace Frehley fan! Hahahahahaha

#2 Austin Gold is an under-rated Rocktron Pedal. Back when it arrived on the scene it got a lot of love.

#3 Yeah - I think it is the 'less gain' factor. At least one of the issues. The guys does a fairly ok job of leveling out the pedals, but there is a mysterious "sameness" in the settings too....rough call.

#3 That Rocktron series of pedals has a lot of cool pedals - check some out.

#4 Example of his approach - WTF did he do to the Tube Screamer????? Sounded like crap.

#5 Metal Zone. DID NOT BELONG IN THERE. But he left the sticker on because he is gonna return it. Hahahahahahah
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Ultimate Tone Member

I rate the Way Huge Overrated Special as the best sounding. I don't know who makes it, but the MultiDrive is unique sounding. The AC Booster is a great pedal. The rest... meh. He wish he would have included the Zendrive 2. The worst? The BOSS Metal Zone, of course.

Mojo's Minions

I think this video is a miss. his mic'ing of the Marshall isn't very good IMO, and he didn't try very hard on pedal settings either.

That said, I dug the Analog Man, Keely, Wampler, and MXR distortion III the highest as far as tone, OCD is good on the second clip but weak on first.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I don't know what this pedal sounds like under any other setting, but it sounds like a pedal where the scoop and treble boost are narrow bandwidth ranges -like putting a graphic EQ after an overdrive.
    It doesn't really have any eq controls other than a "pre bass" knob, which (I gather from reviews) adjusts the bass content before it hits the gain. But no treble or tone knob, just volume & gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    A couple of comments:

#1 - That guy is totally an Ace Frehley fan! Hahahahahaha

#2 Austin Gold is an under-rated Rocktron Pedal. Back when it arrived on the scene it got a lot of love.

#3 Yeah - I think it is the 'less gain' factor. At least one of the issues. The guys does a fairly ok job of leveling out the pedals, but there is a mysterious "sameness" in the settings too....rough call.
    1. Isn't everyone a huge Ace Frehley fan??
    2. I never heard of it before this video. Looked around, found some reviews, but several claim the newer version isn't as good? Don't know if that is true or hype.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    It doesn't really have any eq controls other than a "pre bass" knob, which (I gather from reviews) adjusts the bass content before it hits the gain. But no treble or tone knob, just volume & gain.
    Understood completely, but the pedal is "voiced" this way -with heavy narrow bands accentuated and dropped. -or at least it sounds that way to me.

Sure... here's my take on all of them; one listen through:

(note: "sloppy" means a good deal of compression is heard; giving sloppy compressed squishiness)

MultiDrive: kinda flat
    OCD: pretty good
    Overrated Special: not bad
    Raptor: good focused mids
    Austin Gold: good clean boost-ish
    Red Dirt: better than Raptor; really good focused mids
    Riot: really good clean boost-ish
    Supro Fuzz: it's sorta fuzzy
    Plexi Drive: just a little flat
    AC Booster: good w/ warm mids and bite
    Sweet Honey Overdrive: good w/ warm mids
    Dark Matter: good, but somewhat thin
    Power Screamer: decent & sloppy
    Vulture: good
    Fuzzface: good, slightly sloppy but somewhat thin
    Tubescreamer: warm mids but no bite at all and a bit thin
    Metal Zone: bite is too EQ focused in upper-upper hi-mids (4-8KHz?); extremely thin
    Woodpecker: good
    Distortion III: warm mids, good bite, slightly sloppy
    red box w/ 5 knobs: kinda flat and sloppy
    Brute Drive: good to really good

BTW, I hate how he vibratos.

If I were to buy one, it would be the Brute Drive.

EQ is perfect w/ the plexi, it's tight without being clinical, right amount of B/M/T, gain & compression.

Looks like Eric Gales digs 'em. Good ears.
    Last edited by LLL; 08-18-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

The Austin Gold seemed to have the least amount of gain (set) out of all of them.

That's the biggest difference.

Fastest ears in the West

Guitaramped.com

I hate his vibrato too! Dude does make some really interesting videos though.
    So the big difference really is just lower gain? I guess that's what I like about it then. I thought it was more about the eq.

I should mention I only listened to the 1st part (soloing)... didn't bother with the 2nd part (rhythm)

Fastest ears in the West

Guitaramped.com

I think there's more to it than just a slightly lower gain level.
    Most of the other pedals also had varying measures of "Q" in the tone where the Rocktron sounded much cleaner.
    I don't mean cleaner from a gain perspective but from a Q perspective.
    It was cleaner with regard to gain as well but I meant the Q.
    I think that is the biggest difference and the reason for superior tone.
    I realize not everyone understands Q but we all recognize it even if we don't all know how to describe it.
    Try a YouTube search for the MXR Q-Zone.
    Q is most often described as a "parked wah" but that's only a reasonable facsimile of Q because there are other aspects to Q.

My ears told me the Rocktron had the least amount of Q in this video and that's why I liked it the best.

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I think this video is a miss. his mic'ing of the Marshall isn't very good IMO, and he didn't try very hard on pedal settings either.

That said, I dug the Analog Man, Keely, Wampler, and MXR distortion III the highest as far as tone, OCD is good on the second clip but weak on first.
    I've watched plenty of his speaker comparisons. Regardless of speaker Segeborn always mic's them so they're really fizzy and flat sounding. I guess it's just the way he wants them in video.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I think there's more to it than just a slightly lower gain level.
    Most of the other pedals also had varying measures of "Q" in the tone where the Rocktron sounded much cleaner.
    I don't mean cleaner from a gain perspective but from a Q perspective.
    It was cleaner with regard to gain as well but I meant the Q.
    I think that is the biggest difference and the reason for superior tone.
    I realize not everyone understands Q but we all recognize it even if we don't all know how to describe it.
    Try a YouTube search for the MXR Q-Zone.
    Q is most often described as a "parked wah" but that's only a reasonable facsimile of Q because there are other aspects to Q.

My ears told me the Rocktron had the least amount of Q in this video and that's why I liked it the best.
    Name:  Q.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  6.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

"Least amount of Q" means it is boosting a wider range of frequencies?? (I have read about q and I thought hi q = affecting a narrow spectrum, lo q = wide spectrum? No matter how many old Star Trek episodes I watch I still don't fully understand Q!)

If you think of Q as being a parked wah then you understand it affects a narrow band of frequencies, which is a sweepable.
    That's what you're hearing when you rock the wah pedal.
    A narrow band of affected frequencies which is being swept up and down the spectrum.
    Remove the Q and you remove the effect and the signal returns to original.
    So it's not a matter of boosting a wider range.
    Its a matter of removing the boost.
    Well, that kind of boost anyway.
    It's an OD pedal so you're still getting clipping, which most people call gain because it comes bundled with a volume increase but that is a different sort of boost from Q.