Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need suggestions on a fat , dark sounding HB for my Yamaha SG

Default Re: Need suggestions on a fat , dark sounding HB for my Yamaha SG

How about a Dimarzio Gravity Storm? Have one in my Carvin ST 300 and it's a BIG warm chewie pickup but not muddy at all. Very articulate and also splits well.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

DiMarzio's The Breed is specifically designed for fattening a bright or thin guitar. An excellent bridge pickup. I got one for a slightly anemic sounding trem-equipped Tele and now it's a sweet beast.

They're discontinued except for the customshop but some of the big retailers still have them in stock, for now.
    "Brains have been washed. Wheels have been greased. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory."

Quote Originally Posted by orpheo View Post
    sorry man, but I'm afraid this is on you. the PATB3 is with the a5 already fairly warm, with an A8 it's like slinging mud in a pool of treacle, it's that rounded and fat
    Hi orpheo, I've personally used an A4-modded PATB1N with an A8-modded PATB3 in a Mayones Maestro guitar, with excellent results, tone-wise.

The A8-modded PATB3 was not muddy at all, it retained clarity even in complex chords with mild OD, which gave a pretty unique "liquid" quality that I hadn't heard before. That specific combination guitar/pickup was unique in a lot of ways.

It was pretty tricky to get the "sweet spot", though. That was an eye-opener as far as A8 magnets go, as it was the one combo that proved to me that an A8 mag could have "nuance" and even "touch-sensitivity", something it was not clear to me at the time. The effect of the "Parallel Axis" concept of the polepieces of sweetening the articulation by taking the actual pick attack out of the equation and dividing it by the two parts is pretty effective in its simplicity. Also making "cut-through" or "shine-through" so to speak, the inherent tone-footprint of the different magnets themselves (more fundamental, less harmonics concept) than in any other HB-based p'up design. I consider the PATB line the most underrated and overlooked of all Seymour Duncan p'up designs, bare none. Hats off to Kevin Beller, master mind of the design (and holder of the patent).

/Peter
    Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
    Kolding, Denmark

Yesterday I just ordered a bunch of magnets at https://www.cermagmagnets.co.uk/ after reading a lot through several posts. They are rather cheap (much cheaper than I've seen in other websites, at least for the euro customer)

I have ordered a bunch of A2, A3, A4, both polished and roughcast, UOA5 , and even some Neodynium magnets.

Apparently the UOA5 shoud cure the issue I have with the Custom V, giving it a bit more mids -which is what I need_. I will also install an A2 in my DD.

Then I will also try the A3 and A4 in my neck 490R to give it the slight push in the higher freqs.

I really appreciate your feedback !!! In the end, I came to the conclusion that the C5 is the closest in sound to my ideal, so let's see if the magnet swap helps ...

2 solid choices would be the Alternative 8 and the Black Winter as well. The EQ would seem to work with what you need.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    2 solid choices would be the Alternative 8 and the Black Winter as well. The EQ would seem to work with what you need.
    I haven't checked the Alt 8, but I had a set of Black Winters in my Solar A1.6C.....coming from a 59/DD set, i found the Black Winter set like a dirty version of the Mayhem set. I didn't like them at all. Like a much grainier ,oversaturated DD , undefined and shrill. One week later I reinstalled the 59/DD set.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    You might consider a Dimarzio Tone Zone. Definitely dark and thick and not too high output.
    +1

The tone zone is a great pickup for this application.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    You might consider a Dimarzio Tone Zone. Definitely dark and thick and not too high output.
    Have use the Zone in a number of old All Maple Carvins in the past. It's big fat and open but to me has a tendency to also be very loose sloppy and undefined. That said the Dimarzio I am infatuated with that is big fat and open sounding but also articulate and clear under gain is the Gravity Storm Bridge. Have one in the bridge on my Carvin ST 300 and the tone is HUGE but it still has real definition and articulation. LOVE that pickup but still looking for the right neck match.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

You could also install lower value pots to tame some of the brightness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
    PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.