Thread: Is it worth changing Epiphone Probuckers to JB and Jazz?

Default Is it worth changing Epiphone Probuckers to JB and Jazz?

Hey everyone, I own a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro with Epiphone Probucker pickups. I find the pickups do not have the sound of my taste. They sound very muddy, dark and they lack treble. I want to upgrade to a JB/Jazz set because I heard that those two SD pickups have much more treble and output, which I need for being able to play some high-gain stuff, along blues, rock etc. If some of you did this pickup swap, can you tell me your thoughts has the sound improved, does it sound better or worse and is it really worth it? Also it's worth mentioning that I tried everything to get the tone I like, I tried tweaking my amp, raising the pickup and all of those sorts of things and I haven't been able to dial in the tone I would like to play on. Any feedback is appreciated.

Default Re: Is it worth changing Epiphone Probuckers to JB and Jazz?

I think the JB/Jazz combo is wonderful but until you drop them into your guitar, there's no telling if you'll like it. The JB/59 combo is wonderful as well. Super Distortions...

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Good pickups are for sure worth the money and effort. The JB and Jazz is a good starting point but I'd recommend the 59 for the neck cuz it has more of a rock blues flavor while the Jazz is just clean clean cleans.
    Cuz I couldn't stand the pain
    And I would be sad if our new love
    Was in vain

The Jazz might not be much higher output than what you have in there...it might be clearer, though. It has a pretty big high end there. The JB & Jazz are certainly not muddy, dark, or lack treble, though.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Tone Member

I own your exact guitar (PlusTop Standard Pro) and I have two words for you: Black Winter. Dropped 'em into my LP instead of the ProBuckers and they have been life-changing. They will do every genre that you are looking for and more. They split insanely well.

The Jazz will increase clarity over the Probucker Neck. The JB will not increase clarity over the Probucker Bridge; it will give you even more mud and less high end.

I would consider a Whole Lotta Humbucker set. They are beefy and have strong output, but not so hotly wound that they get muddy or lose definition.

Also, just to make sure, have you tried turning the low end down dramatically on your amp, or using an e.q. unit with a high pass filter that you can dial in? The Epi Probuckers are actually quite decent in my recent experience with them. I didn't like them at first, but they were within adjustment range once I got them going through an amp with decent e.q. controls.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-18-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

A JB will not give you more clarity.

Probuckers are pretty tame, bright humbuckers. I suspect you can fix this one without a pickup swap. Maybe they're too close to the strings? You definitely DON'T want to raise them like you did. Have you changed strings recently? Have you tried a different guitar with better results through your rig?

I'm curious since I've owned two PlusTop Pros so I'm pretty familiar with those Epiphones.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Whole Lottta humbuckers set if your guitar is bright sounding. Otherwise 59 set works for me.

I don't like JB in a Les Paul.

Yes.

That was an easy one.

Ultimate Tone Member

I like the sound of JBs in Les Pauls

If you just want more output, the classic JB combo is great. Tried and true for decades and none of us would be here if it weren't for that pickup combo.

But to answer one of your questions, it is absolutely worth upgrading pickups from something you don't like to something you might like better.

Habitual pickup swapper here, so I'd say it's definitely worth it. There are tons of possibilities here, and that's before you get into magnet swapping. If it were me, which we all have different tastes, I'd go with the 59/Custom hybrid instead of the JB though. I had them in the same guitar and greatly prefer it. But that's just a suggestion. My guitar/amp/style/ears are all different than yours, so you might love the JB.

Quote Originally Posted by daenius View Post
    I like the sound of JBs in Les Pauls

You like the sound of JB's in some Les Pauls. I've been on the forum since the mid 2000's and seen many posts about JB's disappointing in warm woods like mahogany. Sometimes they're fine, but in other guitars they develop annoying tones, like the infamous ice pick spike, which has also been humorously likened to a dentist drill whine and a cheap old trumpet. The low end can get loose too. And some of these comments were from guys who love JB's in their Strats. JB's are not a slam drunk for every guitar and genre. I also play blues & rock like you do, and did not like JB's. Nowhere near the best choice for those genres. A '59/Custom hybrid is a better choice for you in the bridge: more treble, clarity, and output. Jazz is fine in the neck slot.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Ultimate Tone Member

If you haven't already, which I suspect, first try adjusting your pickup and polepiece heights with the current pickups. This can result in a big difference in sound, and may make a pickup swap unnecessary.
    Al

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

We can debate the ideal pickup combo.

But a well setup Epiphone Les Paul with some Duncans is a great guitar in general.

DEFINITELY worth it!

My suggestions:
    Pearly gates / Custom
    Jazz / Custom
    Jazz / Distortion
    Jazz / 59/Custom Hybrid
    Pearly Gates / 59/Custom Hybrid
    or if you want really loud neck and bridge - Black Winter set or Distortion set

But you can get a lot of metal/rock/blues out with a JB/Jazz if that is what you like too.
    Last edited by Aceman; 08-21-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    You like the sound of JB's in some Les Pauls. I've been on the forum since the mid 2000's and seen many posts about JB's disappointing in warm woods like mahogany. Sometimes they're fine, but in other guitars they develop annoying tones, like the infamous ice pick spike, which has also been humorously likened to a dentist drill whine and a cheap old trumpet. The low end can get loose too. And some of these comments were from guys who love JB's in their Strats. JB's are not a slam drunk for every guitar and genre. I also play blues & rock like you do, and did not like JB's. Nowhere near the best choice for those genres. A '59/Custom hybrid is a better choice for you in the bridge: more treble, clarity, and output. Jazz is fine in the neck slot.
    I keep hearing that. I know this, I have a JB/Jazz and I guess I got lucky, because for single note ripping a$$ leads, it is awesome. There is a reason its been around for a gazillion years and it probably sells more than all the other ones COMBINED. For the right application, frickin RIPS

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    We can debate the ideal pickup combo.

But a well setup Epiphone Les Paul with some Duncans is a great guitar in general.

DEFINITELY worth it!

My suggestions:
    Pearly gates / Custom
    Jazz / Custom
    Jazz / Distortion
    Jazz / 59/Custom Hybrid
    Pearly Gates / 59/Custom Hybrid
    or if you want really loud neck and bridge - Black Winter set or Distortion set

But you can get a lot of metal/rock/blues out with a JB/Jazz if that is what you like too.
    The Pegasus/Sentient is great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OLDERBUDWISER View Post
    I keep hearing that. I know this, I have a JB/Jazz and I guess I got lucky, because for single note ripping a$$ leads, it is awesome. There is a reason its been around for a gazillion years and it probably sells more than all the other ones COMBINED. For the right application, frickin RIPS

Right, JB's are great in the right application. They were one of Duncan's first, and Seymour's designed dozens of pickups in the decades after that as he's gained more experience. His efforts are worth checking out.

A big factor in JB's sales is that Duncan's probably promoted them more than all their other pickups combined. I'd expect there to be a correlation. The sales didn't just mysteriously happen on their own organically. When most players hear the name Duncan, they think of the ads they've seen for JB's.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Well, JBs have been around for so long, and they were so vastly different than stock pickups back then. Amps didn't have as much gain, so a powerful pickup pushed the amp more. It coincided with the kind of music that was getting popular, too.