Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with EQ

Default Need help with EQ

Hi guys, I need some help with getting eq on my amp right. So basically I have line 6 spider 4 30 (I know kinda trash amp, but I have only this right now) which have this “insane red” channel that modeled after Mesa dual rectifier and I’m trying to make it sound decent. The tone I want to be close to is tone of The Gazette j-rock/metal band (examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tSlgn1zi-A, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOWmzMzaQk4). I have Gibson LP studio with SD sh-14 custom 5 in bridge and phat cat in neck, if it matters. How should I dial all these knobs on amp to sound close to them and what settings can you recommend for good distortion?

Default Re: Need help with EQ

One thing I've learned is that the more gain you run, the louder the amp needs to be to handle it without a bunch of fizz. When you run the amp lower, a bit less gain helps to make the whole tone more clear. If you really pay attention to the true guitar sounds you hear on records, there is sometimes less distortion than you might first think. The chunk comes from how loud the amp was set during recording.

Other than that, don't be afraid to run the mids up a bit, and be careful of the bass if it starts to get flabby.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

What the guy above said. Less gain, bring up the mids a bit. If you have a little money to spare, and your amp has an FX loop, you can buy a used EQ pedal and put that in the loop, then try to dial out the fizz that way. Not a guarantee to work, but it might do the trick.
    Last edited by Coma; 08-22-2019 at 03:17 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Thank you guys, currently I set up amp with drive at 1-2 o'clock, bass at 12 o'clock, mid at 1 o'clock and treble at 3 o'clock with channel volume at 2 o'clock. It sounds decent at about 25% of volume, but I'm concerned did I put too much treble? Should I dial treble down a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Utsu View Post
    Thank you guys, currently I set up amp with drive at 1-2 o'clock, bass at 12 o'clock, mid at 1 o'clock and treble at 3 o'clock with channel volume at 2 o'clock. It sounds decent at about 25% of volume, but I'm concerned did I put too much treble? Should I dial treble down a bit?
    Adjust with your ears, not your eyes. There's nothing wrong with any setting of a dial if the sound is good.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Whats your presence set at? Ive been playing with the presence setting lately and right now, my Marshall sounds really good with it set between 4 and 5. But I do agree w setting the knobs to your ears, not your eyes.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550
    Guild D4 acoustic

When I am dialing in my amp I use a 20-foot cord. It allows me to move away from the amp and really hear the sound in the room. If you dial in a sound move back a bit close your eyes and listen to the sound of the room. Is the sound bouncing off the walls, or is it dead? Play to the room as much as you play to the amp. If you are playing in a bedroom go stand in the hallway and bang out a few chords. Also, play with the angle of the amp. Is it pointed at a bed or a brick finished wall? Does it sound better tilted back or on a chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    When I am dialing in my amp I use a 20-foot cord. It allows me to move away from the amp and really hear the sound in the room. If you dial in a sound move back a bit close your eyes and listen to the sound of the room. Is the sound bouncing off the walls, or is it dead? Play to the room as much as you play to the amp. If you are playing in a bedroom go stand in the hallway and bang out a few chords. Also, play with the angle of the amp. Is it pointed at a bed or a brick finished wall? Does it sound better tilted back or on a chair?
    I do this, too. Especially important when playing in a new place. It is hard to get an idea of how things sound when standing right in front of an amp.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    This is why a decent digital stereo recorder is useful. You can crank it up and record a track, and then play it back to get an idea of how you sound in the room.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Is the amp on the floor pointing at your legs, or up so it’s pointing directly at your head? If it’s on the floor, there’s a good chance you have more treble than you need. As others have said: Less gain, dial in the mids.

As an aside, you’re never going to get a live amp to replicate a recorded guitar - so start from the position of “I’d like to get close” rather than “I will get it perfect”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for replies, 90% of time I'm playing in my shure se425 iems (often at 9-10 pm, so can't bother my family or neighbours). I read an interview and apparently both guitarist are using digital amplification on stage (at least in 2019 world tour), lead guitarist (uruha) is using line6 helix (iirc LT version) and rhythm (aoi) is using axe fx2. Also after playing with tracks in Logic Pro, I noticed that rhytm guitarist's tone is more bass heavy, while lead is using more treble and moderate bass, maybe that's why I couldn't get their tone . Now I want to buy some audio interface and use Logic Pro with some amp simulation plugins, can you reccomend something?

Quote Originally Posted by VinceT View Post
    As an aside, you’re never going to get a live amp to replicate a recorded guitar
    I'd agree with that statement... up until the last couple of years.

Gear like the Two Notes Torpedo (various flavors) allows you to "bring the studio with you" with virtual cabs, virtual speakers, virtual mics + mic placement, post-amp EQ, etc... as well as various load boxes iR loaders and combinations thereof.

Kemper, AXE FX, etc...

Even before then, using more advanced rig tricks, you could put your FX after the amp a la studio. Stereo cabs, W/D/W, etc...

So today, more than ever, with some studio knowledge, specific gear and advanced rig tricks, one can replicate what's on record live... on stage... as well as inject that signal right into FOH.
    Last edited by LLL; 08-23-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    I'd agree with that statement... up until the last couple of years.
    So true the game has changed drastically. Alex Lifeson has totally ditched his amp for a MacBook Pro. He has access to any VST plugin his heart desires. I do not see the traditional amp going anywhere soon. However, for those that want a more consistent signal path, advanced studio sounds and studio setting in their live rig, there are now a ton of options.

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrocks View Post
    Adjust with your ears, not your eyes. There's nothing wrong with any setting of a dial if the sound is good.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    The one caveat I'd add to this is "Adjust with your ears with a band playing". Stuff that sounds awesome soloed often disappears when the bass/kick eat all the low end and the hats eat all the highs. Stuff that sounds great with a band can often sound a little odd when soloed.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

^^
    I agree. Although I would say that one should adjust one's sound for the situation also. If you want to sound good to yourself while playing by yourself, adjust it accordingly. Just be prepared to change it if you ever do play along with others in a band setting.

+1 ^^

Especially when playing with another guitarist. My rhythm guitarist uses a polar opposite set up than mine. I am using Marshall, Gibson and alincos, he uses Fender, Fender and ceramics. We get a wider spectrum of sound and more separation in the guitar tones.

I think it gets difficult to adjust stuff in a band situation. If you get to rehearsal or the gig and find that your presets don't work at all, you are going to have an audience and band members losing patience with you quickly as you constantly tweak your sound.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I think it gets difficult to adjust stuff in a band situation. If you get to rehearsal or the gig and find that your presets don't work at all, you are going to have an audience and band members losing patience with you quickly as you constantly tweak your sound.
    Well, then the best thing would be to have two different sets of presets.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    There is a balance here. If you are being anal about your tone and have the world waiting on you to dial in the perfect sound people are going to be frustrated. If you plugin and are EQed wrong for the room people are going to be frustrated. The key and the goal is to dial in as close as you can to start off the set and tighten it up as the set evolves.

The biggest club in Boston back in the day was the Channel. It was a huge converted warehouse with a metal ceiling. You could dial in perfectly during soundcheck but the second the club filled up with people everything would change. I found the first thing I would adjust would be reverb. Empty just a bit of reverb would sound cavernous in the club once there were bodies in they would dissipate the reverb and rob my low-end. After a while, I learned to read the room. Are there large drapes on the walls, bricks, multiple rooms and hallways, is the ceiling acoustic tile or tin? After a while, you start to recognize typical issues and formulate plans to combat them. Walk the room and look around before you even plug in I will also whistle when I am doing this to get a feel for the sound refraction.

Last edited by Securb; 08-24-2019 at 08:29 AM.