Thread: Bucker splitting.. neck to screw, bridge to slug

Ultimate Tone Member rainsong86's Avatar

Default Bucker splitting.. neck to screw, bridge to slug

Is there any issue splitting to the screw coil of the neck bucker and slug coil of the bridge bucker in a les paul? Will the middle position be hum cancelling? Any phase issues? I'll be using duncan pickups (custom 5 and alnico ii pro) with a miniswitch to split.

Default Re: Bucker splitting.. neck to screw, bridge to slug

Quote Originally Posted by rainsong86 View Post
    Is there any issue splitting to the screw coil of the neck bucker and slug coil of the bridge bucker in a les paul? Will the middle position be hum cancelling? Any phase issues? I'll be using duncan pickups (custom 5 and alnico ii pro) with a miniswitch to split.
    No issues. I have my Explorer wired that way and it works great with a hum-canceling middle position. I'm planning on re-wiring my LP that way the next time I take the cavity cover off. For the Explorer, I used this diagram, but flipped the bridge and neck pickups. (the top pickup in the diagram splits to the slug coil, bottom pickup to the screw coil)
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

That how my Carvin DC 400 with their active module splits the Sentient in the neck and 59 Custom Hybrid in the bridge and it sounds great.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

I just installed a set of Fishman Fluence Moderns on an old Ibanez Artist. We installed every option. It allows you to choose which coil you want to hear, and I was quite surprised in what a different it makes.

Iím not sure Iím sold on the pickups in general. They do something most pickups donít, but they are also missing something too.