Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microphones for amps/cabs when gigging

Default Microphones for amps/cabs when gigging

Hi all,

As a bit of background, my band are taking that step to mic everything up, and make more use of our newly upgraded PA.

I have read some historic threads on this going back a while, and whilst I can see there are some clear favourites, as I am brand new to this area I thought I would double check before buying stuff.

What's microphones would you recommend for micing up amps for live use?

A favourite is evidently the Shure sm57, but the Sennheiser e609 gets some love, as does the shure 57a.

For info I play in a wedding band, mostly with a rock focus, but we dabble in funk, 50s rock and roll, pop as well. I mostly use a mesa boogie f30 with a celestian v30 if it matters.

What microphone, or microphones do you do you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Microphones for amps/cabs when gigging

57 or 609 is all it takes for most local setups - start there and get to know where it sounds best on your speaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VinceT View Post
    57 or 609 is all it takes for most local setups - start there and get to know where it sounds best on your speaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks Vince. It may be hair splitting territory, but how would you compare the two from each other? Are there any major differences to consider?

Thanks

Jeff

The SM57 is an industry standard for a reason. It sounds great for electric guitar, is cheap, and it's very tough and reliable. It's also a great drum mic. The e609 doesn't need a mic stand so setup can be a lot easier, you can just hang it from the amp handle. It's also great at rejecting other noise, I find it easier to use when a band is playing loud . . . there's less bleed from other instruments. I don't think it sounds as good as an SM57 though it's bassier.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

I use a Cab Grabber and a Sennheiser e906.

Mojo's Minions

I use both SM57 and a bunch of Sennheisers

609s and 906s are cool because of the ease of use due to there flat arrangement -probably easier to put and keep on cabs live -you dont need a stand or clamp.

Honestly, I don't see a reason to use anything but SM57s and Sennheisers -as most every other live dynamic mic is an imitation of the Shure SM57 capsule and circuit.

My favorite dynamics for sound is Sennheiser 421 and Shure SM7 -but they are too expensive to have at regular gigs IMO -it will eventually get stolen
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    Hi all,

As a bit of background, my band are taking that step to mic everything up, and make more use of our newly upgraded PA.

I have read some historic threads on this going back a while, and whilst I can see there are some clear favourites, as I am brand new to this area I thought I would double check before buying stuff.

What's microphones would you recommend for micing up amps for live use?

A favourite is evidently the Shure sm57, but the Sennheiser e609 gets some love, as does the shure 57a.

For info I play in a wedding band, mostly with a rock focus, but we dabble in funk, 50s rock and roll, pop as well. I mostly use a mesa boogie f30 with a celestian v30 if it matters.

What microphone, or microphones do you do you recommend?

Thanks in advance

I carry a Sure Beta 57 in my bag when I'm playing out and a stand. LOVE the tones!!
    My little 1/10 20 watt Mesa Subway Rocket loaded with a WGS ET 10 live miced with the Beta 57 at super low stage levels running only a Digitec Polara verb and a Boss DD7 in the loop and a Wah in the front.
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-28-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Same rig same mic check out these tones!! Swear by the Beta 57 for guitar micing!
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-28-2019 at 09:51 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Same rig same mic check out these tones!! Swear by the Beta 57 for guitar micing!
    Mr Wolf, the Beta 57 is a great mic, it has slightly more bass and high end whereas the 57 is more mid range. So it depends on your guitar sound and the overall band mix whether a Beta 57 is a good choice or not for you.

Also, a Beta 57 has slightly better feedback rejection than a regular 57 and is tougher -so great choice for road and stage IF YOU LIKE THE EXTENDED FIDELITY or sound of a Beta 57
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I carry a Sure Beta 57 in my bag when I'm playing out and a stand. LOVE the tones!!
    My little 1/10 20 watt Mesa Subway Rocket loaded with a WGS ET 10 live miced with the Beta 57 at super low stage levels running only a Digitec Polara verb and a Boss DD7 in the loop and a Wah in the front.
    I assume that your drummer is a beast . . . and that's why you keep him in a plexiglass cage. Poor guy. At least give him one of those hampster water straw thingies on the wall . . .
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

given a choice id use a 421 almost every time but 90% of the time its a sm57 or e609 and they sound just fine. i dont love the beta57 most of the time but its a great mic for male vocals

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

I have a Beta 57A, and I don't like it nearly as much as my SM57's.

If you go Sennheiser, I feel the 906 is well worth it over the 609. The 609 has a tendency to be slightly fizzy with gain and with a weird midrange, IME.

You might also consider a system that uses IRs and can go direct. It will be faster, and it will be easier to mix out front.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I really like a 57 and Audix i5 in combination. Either works fine alone, and the combo sounds huge

+1 for Sennheiser e906

The 'bright' setting sounds like an e609, while the 'flat' setting is about 80% of MD421 tone at about half the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Considering the best balance of price, value, dependability, roadworthiness and sound, it is very hard to beat the good old SM57. That was my choice, just like forever. At least, until switching to cab sim live a couple of years ago.

I still use them in the studio when reamping. Two of them in different positions, or one of them with a different character mic, depending on the style of the band, their tone and the sound I'm after.

With a well-placed pop filter, for recording vocals they can also make a 98% sound approximation to the cherished SM7B, for the fracture of the price.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 08-30-2019 at 04:56 AM.

Thank you all for the info. It seems amongst the popular choices discussed I get the impression it is probably tough to go really really wrong.

I must admit, right now I am most drawn to the Sennheisers. No need for a stand is a small plus, but talk of them being relatively easy to position is good with my lack of mic experience, and in my band if it saves time setting up... Big plus.

All in all, I am seriously considering going for the e906 as I was budgeting for something like an sm57 + a half decent stand. Those costs take me most of the way there, but even then the e609 seems like a decent choice all the same.

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    You might also consider a system that uses IRs and can go direct. It will be faster, and it will be easier to mix out front.
    Funny you mention that, I am actively considering a Line 6 hx-stomp...

A) to replace my delays and one or two lesser used pedals.

B) to have to go direct as a backup to my amp if that went down. Or if results are decent, for use when travelling light.

If I do, I will read up and/or start a thread to find out what these IRs actually are that people keep mentioning!!! (some sort of cab sim???)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    Funny you mention that, I am actively considering a Line 6 hx-stomp...

A) to replace my delays and one or two lesser used pedals.

B) to have to go direct as a backup to my amp if that went down. Or if results are decent, for use when travelling light.

If I do, I will read up and/or start a thread to find out what these IRs actually are that people keep mentioning!!! (some sort of cab sim???)

Cheers

Essentially, an IR is a recording of a very specific miked cabinet that imparts its sound on your signal. This is a good article explaining it.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by chadd View Post
    I really like a 57 and Audix i5 in combination. Either works fine alone, and the combo sounds huge
    Just FYI -I A/B'd . an Audix drum pack (5 dynamics) in the studio about 10 years ago. They were great -basically 57 clones with better ergonomics for clamping or booming on a drum set.

That's a great budget option OP.