Thread: Proper tube disposal

Default Proper tube disposal

Iíve always just thrown old tubes in the trash, but lately Iíve been recycling more, and so I was wondering if thereís anybody recycling some of the materials in old tubes. Is there anything toxic in them that makes them a no-no for landfill?

Mojo's Minions

Default Re: Proper tube disposal

They should be treated as regular E-waste -just like other electronic stuff with heavy metals etc. Don't break them either -as the vapor could be bad for you. There could be lots of toxic things depending on the type, brand and year. Guitar tubes are generally a lot cleaner than medical and RF ones but still the filaments and vapor of all should be considered toxic to be on the safe side. Don't be freaked out though -it's likely your EL34 or 6L6 is relatively benign .

That said, I've never thrown any away. -I've got about a 100 old ones that I placed in a storage box for whatever reason -like emergencies

Your city and county should have an E-waste disposal site -that is free for taxpayers. there are also private Ewaste services that will pick it up -often for free or let you drop it off.

As a lifelong guitar player, a ask everyone be a good environmental citizen and dispose of this stuff correctly -the future is for someone innocent of our ignorance and actions.
    ďFor me, when everything goes wrong Ė thatís when adventure starts.Ē Yvonne Chouinard

Ultimate Tone Member

Toss them in the trash.

My city does a twice-a-year cleanup where they take TVs, batteries, etc. I bring any tubes there. There is lots of nasty stuff that I wouldn't want to end up in our (or our kids') water.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

In a sunny place for shady people, Central Ohio

Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Haz-mat disposal facility, like all my electronics (batteries, light bulbs, etc.), photo chemicals, paints, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.