Thread: P-90 Options

Default P-90 Options

Is the Vintage P-90 available with the dog ear cover and plate or only as a soapbar? I can't believe the Antiquity is the only one shown in the standard catalog with a dog ear cover. And the cover on the Antiquity isn't even attractive. The smooth tabs dog ear looks much better, IMO. Yeah, buying a different cover is always an option but come on, it should be offered as standard fare. Why not offer the Vintage P-90 as soap bar or dog ear? There's not even an option without going custom shop and IMO, there are plenty of other options out there with the smooth dog ears for a lot less. I would love to go Seymour Duncan when it comes to a dog ear P-90 but the standard production options are severely limited. Am I alone here?

Default Re: P-90 Options

I think you can swap covers. The pickup underneath does not change. I like the look of dog ears but Ive heard they are not easily adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimate Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    I think you can swap covers. The pickup underneath does not change. I like the look of dog ears but I’ve heard they are not easily adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The pickups ARE different, the Dog Ear style has a bottom plate with mounting tabs (ears) on it, the Soapbar doesn't have the ears/tabs.
    Al

Yes, they are different because of the baseplate and cover. Adjusting dog ears is done with shims and needs to be done during installation. Once done, it shouldn't need adjustment any further. I don't mind that though. On a Jr style (SG Junior, LP Junior), they are the pickup. Sure, a soap bar could be put in but IMO, it would look weird.

Hmmm. I must be alone in this.

Oh well. Lots of people make P-90's.

you can swap dog ear covers on the antiquity. a buddy had a es-something with two dog ear p90s that i swapped for antiquitys (which sound freakin awesome on this guitar) but used the stock covers with no issue

Oh, I know I can swap the cover on the Antiquity. That's not the issue. The issue is the Antiquity is the only one offered in the standard P-90 line as a dog ear. That is crazy! Why not offer the others with a dog ear option? (without having to go Custom Shop) I would much rather have the Vintage P-90 in dog ear format but I'm not shelling out Custom Shop prices for one when there are lots of other dog ear options out there. That's why I went with a Lollar on my SG Junior build. I would love to go with a Duncan in my next build (LP Jr DC) but the choices are severely limited in my budget in the Duncan offerings.
    Last edited by ErikH; 09-11-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Phat Cats ???
    Thank you Jessie Albano "And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make "Lennon & McCartney "Imagine all the people living in the world in peace " John Lennon !

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzamort View Post
    Phat Cats ???
    Phat Cats are humbucker sized P-90's. This next build will require a full-sized P-90 dog ear.

I emailed Customer Service and the only dog ear P-90 available in the standard production line is the Antiquity. Anything else is Custom Shop.

So, looks like I'll be going another route then. I have a Lollar in my SG Junior build and will probably get another for this upcoming LP Junior DC build. Custom Shop prices are not in the budget.

Sorry, Seymour Duncan. You gotta expand the dog ear offerings to be more than just Antiquities.