Thread: Looking for suggestions for 2007 Reverend Volcano

Default Looking for suggestions for 2007 Reverend Volcano

I own a Reverend Volcano (Limba/Korina pretty sure), not sure if it's a 2006 or 2007 model, bought it from a local small shop in summer 2007.

I believe the stock pickups are Rev Special H, or whatever came in them at the time. In fact the guitar is completely stock still I haven't done any work on it. I hadn't played it for a long time, was in storage for many years, but I'm getting back into playing regularly again. I'm not super displeased with them, just looking for some upgrade suggestions. I play pretty much exclusively metal. Think thrashy/deathy/groovy maybe a little fuzz on rare occasion (think clutch/sword) sometimes, not really so much djenty.

I'm not opposed to going active, just not sure changing the battery would be very convenient unless I did some major risky work to add a battery compartment or some type of simple plug to be able to rip apart a charger to construct a custom charger for a rechargeable one. I'm very skilled at electronics, not so much woodworking. A good pair of passives is probably a better idea though in the end.

Sorry if this is a common/repeat/spammy question but after reading too much about tone wood this and matching pickups to tone wood and if that's even a thing or a myth, especially in high-gain situations, I ended up with so many recommendations to consider from so many pickup manufacturers it was overwhelming.

Thanks! \m/

EDIT: Oh, I kind of don't like the position of the volume pot in relation to the bridge pup, I end up hitting it a lot (probably because I suck) so I was also considering just removing the bass contour (I KNOW IT'S THEIR SIGNATURE THING..) and the tone pot as I usually just leave them both cranked. Not sure if that changes anything. I might just leave that alone as well but if I'm in there changing pickups anyway I might consider removing one or both of them and moving the volume pot down to one of the other mounting holes.
    Last edited by odin; 09-14-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Default Re: Looking for suggestions for 2007 Reverend Volcano

Before you decide on pickups, I'd try and describe/name the issues you are currently having, or what you would like to change. This makes it easier to suggest something that won't end up as a sideways step- more like a giant leap forward. As far as getting rid of their bass ontour thing, if you don't use it or like it, get rid of it, or work on technique so you don't hit the volume.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm mainly looking to tighten up the low end a little and get a tad more gain. After continuing to research, I'm thinking perhaps of trying out the Railhammer chisel and anvil. Seems fitting as Reverend now drop those into their RA series guitars. Continuing to investigate though.

Yeah, I have larger hands and my picking style my fingers sometimes hit the volume pot. Probably bad habits learned from teaching myself. I should probably take lessons. It's not the end of the world it only happens once in a great while but when I accidentally turn the pot a tad on one of those it's annoying.

I usually have the same issue of turning the volume knob on strats and superstrats, so I swap the volume for the tone pot (Always on 10 anyway) and just use the pot as a push/pull for series/parallel on the neck pickup).
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD MH-1000HS (Pegasus/HRn), ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HX FX & Stomp, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

Ultimate Tone Slacker zionstrat's Avatar

I'm a railhammer hyper vintage freak. Extremely tight bass with soft highs. But I play more rock and you may need higher output and higher compression for metal.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

For those styles, if you decide on a pickup swap, I suggest the Custom / 59 set.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD MH-1000HS (Pegasus/HRn), ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HX FX & Stomp, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

Railhammers rock. The Anvil may be a good match here.

I like my Chisel bridge; it's wound a little lighter than the Anvil - mine's a hair over 13K. Aside from the Duncan Custom, the Chisel's the only ceramic humbucker that I've really bonded with. It's fat & tight but might have a little too much upper-mid push to do well in korina, which has some natural mid emphasis of its own.
    usually

I agree about the HyperVintage set, BTW. Stellar pickups, probably not hot enough for the OP.
    "Brains have been washed. Wheels have been greased. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory."