Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Output Humbucker

Default Re: Low Output Humbucker

lets start with the fact that dc resistance numbers dont tell you much unless you know and consider other factors. the ssl6 is wound with #43 wire, where the jazz is wound with #42. then consider that we are talking about a gibson style humbucker with two coils in series compared to a fender style single coil. the jazz buckers have similar output to the ssl6

Ultimate Tone Slacker KNUCKLHEAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    9k a4 sounds like a seth? interesting
    It IS Interesting + immediately one of my All-time Favorites Jeremy ( works insane with A5 Neck ( ASN 57 )

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    lets start with the fact that dc resistance numbers dont tell you much unless you know and consider other factors. the ssl6 is wound with #43 wire, where the jazz is wound with #42. then consider that we are talking about a gibson style humbucker with two coils in series compared to a fender style single coil. the jazz buckers have similar output to the ssl6
    Thanks for the insight.

Ultimate Tone Member

If you want to compare pickups, resistance figure is quite meaningless. Its better to look at inductance and resonance frequency. Humbuckers have some fundamental difference from single coils because the steel screws and slugs have different properties from Alnico 5.

Otherwise you can judge by listening to a wide variety of sound demos until you find something appealing. I suggest to listen to the pearly gates bidge humbucker because I think it could give some of the harmonic complexity that you are looking for. Another option is to use a single coil conversion ring so you can install a strat pickup in place of a humbucker. Although it might require you to remove some wood from the humbucker route.

Ultimate Tone Slacker zionstrat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    I agree with both of you.

The StagMag is two true single coils (magnet poles instead of screws and a bar magnet) together in a humbucker format. When split, it IS a single coil pup and sounds very good. I really love the split sound. To me it sounds fuller than most Strat pups but still has that bright, crisp, and spanky single coil sound. It also sounds very good in parallel. I happen to like it in series as well, but Mincer is correct that many find it a bit too heavy/thick sounding.

I'd have a lot more StagMags in my guitars if they weren't so expensive. Instead I use a lot of my favorite pups...P-90s and I'm happy.
    A little off topic, has anyone had experience wiring a stagmag parallel to self? And if so, did it solve the overpowrring humbucker tone?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zionstrat; 09-22-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Tone Member

Remember DCR isn't a true measure of output volume per se. As far as I know, most Filtertrons are considered to be louder than traditional single coils, and they usually have DCR lower than most singles at anywhere from 3k to 5k.
    Last edited by GreatOz; 09-21-2019 at 06:55 PM.