Thread: Randall RG80-112SC : Decent Choice?

Default Randall RG80-112SC : Decent Choice?

I'm looking for a 12" solid state combo with an effects loop - ideally with a clean channel that likes pedals, and a dirty channel that can accomplish stoner/doom sounds.

Found an RG80 identical to below I may pick up (non-Celestion, tolex rather than carpet etc.) Will this do the above, can it do more, and will it do it well?

Quote Originally Posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Default Re: Randall RG80-112SC : Decent Choice?

I remember plugging into an RG75 at a local shop in the early 2000s and being really into the variety of metal tones it had on tap. Obviously, that was awhile back and a different generation, but people typically have good things to say about Randall.

That said, a 1x12 solid state amp isn’t the typical go-to for stoner/doom, but who cares, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    I remember plugging into an RG75 at a local shop in the early 2000s and being really into the variety of metal tones it had on tap. Obviously, that was awhile back and a different generation, but people typically have good things to say about Randall.

That said, a 1x12 solid state amp isn’t the typical go-to for stoner/doom, but who cares, right?
    I want a combo; figure can plug it into my cab if more is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

In the 80s George Lynch used to have one of those on a folding chair with a mic on it behind his wall of Marshalls, guess which he was playing through.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Kid View Post
    I want a combo; figure can plug it into my cab if more is needed.
    I finished my 1x12 cab build today. I’m using a 20 watt Orange Micro Dark, and after an hour of that, I retract my previous statement. Heavy tones through that thing will probably be awesome.