Thread: Mod help

Default Mod help

Hello out there. I am in need of some assistance with a wiring issue. I have modded a few guitars in the past couple of years but nothing on this level. I'm currently building an hsh strand trying to implement the following mods. I have three push pulls and three toggles as well as a 5way blade. Two toggles are for coil select on the humbuckers and two push pulls are to switch between series and parallel. My issue is I cannot find a schematic that shows how to wire these in to work together with each other. Anyone out there have any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Mod help

Welcome to the forum!
    This sort of wiring is easily and elegantly achievable with Triple Shot rings.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

I agree. One Triple Shot for each pup will allow you to select either coil, series or parallel on each pup without the need for p/p pots or need to drill holes for extra mini toggles. Simple. Clean.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    This sort of wiring is easily and elegantly achievable with Triple Shot rings.
    I've never seen triple shots on a Strat. I am familiar with them. I have all the switches installed and attempted twice with two different schematics but to no avail. The toggles I was using were on/on/on. The Seymour Duncan diagram for Prails (which I have and love) says to use on/off/on. I can't wrap my head around this. And I still need to run the signal through the push pulls for the series/parallel switching.

if you have on/on/on switches you could wire one to each pup for series/split/parallel then maybe a phase switch to select the different coils with a on/on switch? never tried it but i think it could work.

you have three on/on/on switches and three push/pull (on/on) pots? you should be able to do most anything but that is a wiring/switching nightmare you are getting yourself into

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    if you have on/on/on switches you could wire one to each pup for series/split/parallel then maybe a phase switch to select the different coils with a on/on switch? never tried it but i think it could work.

you have three on/on/on switches and three push/pull (on/on) pots? you should be able to do most anything but that is a wiring/switching nightmare you are getting yourself into
    Agreed. This has been a nightmare. The problem is the diagrams are there for what I want to do, but not all together on the same guitar. The first diagram had all of it there but it used slide switches for the coil select and they are not the same function. I just need to link the toggles and push pulls to work together. This has become my nemesis.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

This is dirt simple. Wire up your push-pull for normal series/parallel switching. Then, just run a jumper from the series link to a switch for splitting. Parallel overrides split.

Name:  Ser_par_split.png
Views: 37
Size:  48.4 KB

That's upside down. I took it from Duncan. Hold on a sec.

Add this translation:

Name:  Ser_par_split2.png
Views: 32
Size:  17.9 KB
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 09-18-2019 at 06:11 AM.

bare ground should always go to ground, not with the green. no idea why its that way in the diagram

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

I think because it's easier for the artist to draw. As long as it's hardwired to ground, somewhere, it's not critical where it physically happens.

Awesome guys. Thanks a billion. Been working on this for over two months. I'll be glad to actually be able to play it.