Thread: Finally Just Starting a ‘Doom Combo’ Thread

Default Finally Just Starting a ‘Doom Combo’ Thread

For anyone sick of me scattering my amp thoughts everywhere - my goal is: 12” (min) combo, with an effects loop, a doomy/stoner dirt channel, and a clean that takes pedals well. Aiming ~$400 max.

Two options I’m looking at right now:

-Orange Crush 60/120 : These are pricey for solid state amps, but seems like they will ‘do it.’ My only other choice from Orange as a combo is the Terror, but it has no loop for one thing. These are not as common or cheap either.

-Marshall JCM2000 DSL/TSL (401?) : These seem to be DIRT cheap, but I know most Marshall aficionados don’t like them, and I associate them with a tight, scooped or nu-metal sound. Having trouble figuring out if these are amenable to a stoner metal sort of sound (Melvins, Sleep, Kyuss etc.) They really seem like a better deal with more value/features, but not if they can’t touch the looser, foggier tones. Or can they?

-So far I talked myself out of a Randall RG80 and a Fender M80 .
    Last edited by Silence Kid; 09-17-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Default Re: Finally Just Starting a ‘Doom Combo’ Thread

Can't you turn the mids up on the Marshall?
    And you talked yourself out of the Randall? Why?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Are you using it for a band, or just goofing around? I ask because the rig I just built is very similar to what you’re looking for.

Orange Micro Dark (20 watts @ 8ohms)
    1x12 homemade cab w/ Eminence Legend in series with Orange 8” Micro cab.

Got the Orange amp & cab for $150 used, $50 for the Legend, used wood I already had. I don’t know how it will do in a band setting, but it’s awfully loud and does all the things you’re asking for. In addition, the amp practically fits in a cargo shorts pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Can't you turn the mids up on the Marshall?
    And you talked yourself out of the Randall? Why?

The condition of the particular Randall turned me off primarily; the shop had two for sale for the same price, but the ‘good’ one was gone by the time I got there. I could still probably grab the other for a fair price and address its issues, but didn’t jump right on it for that reason.

Not sure how the 2000 would fare with knob-twisting just because I haven’t tried one in years. I plan to test drive, but in advance of that appreciate any advise on settings beforehand to maximize the experience before I decide against it for whatever reason. Some amps won’t do the stonerish smooth, loose, slow attack thing even if you dial in the EQ, so I guess I’m asking if the JCM2000 is one of those amps - Is it really that one trick it’s known for, or is it only because that’s how everyone who plays it dials it to sound?

Pretty much just goofing around at the moment, but hoping that might change and I find some people to play with so I want something more substantial than my present small amps. I thought about the Dark Terror; maybe I need to give it more thought.
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Maybe one of the Jet City 20 watt combos? I think that they have effects loops and probably can get a saggy attack.
    Anyone out there who has one care to chime in?

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Kid View Post
    Pretty much just goofing around at the moment, but hoping that might change and I find some people to play with so I want something more substantial than my present small amps. I thought about the Dark Terror; maybe I need to give it more thought.
    If you haven't played the Orange lunch box amps, you really need to check them out with a real cabinet.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Combo version of my T2HL head (Hybrid with tube pre/SS power)

It can get very loose & flubby with the "density" & two mid knobs (level & sweep) ...or it can sound super tight & punchy like a Dimebag amp depending on how you dial it in. I bought mine new (open box) from Sweetwater for $350 about 6-7 years ago. They're discontinued & don't come up for sale much though....but they can bring the DOOM for sure
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Nice!

Does it have to be a combo? The Orange heads will get you what you want for a good price and leave you room to upgrade to a bigger cab if you start to play with others. 1x12 for at home and 4x12 for the stage.

The Dark Terror is a good starting point. I have one so I can vouch for the fuzzy sludgy tones. You might also like the OR15 - I haven't played one but have listened to a million demos and it sounds like a smoother, looser, more vintage-voiced Dark Terror.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)

Jet City 20w combo or double your budget and get a Rockerverb 50. Honestly the Rockerverb is the most useful and flexible tube amp on the market to me. Good clean, good dirty, reverb, FX loop. Go play.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Unpacking myself:

• RE: the above, yes. Part of me thinks I ought to either expand my budget and grab the freaking setup I want at this point (whether a Rockerverb or Sunn Beta Lead combo, or possibly an OR15/Dark Terror) - or else in the meantime just hold on buying any other thing that's an 'excuse' on some level, at least until I feel 'comfortable' taking that dive. After all this speculating on cheap things, I prob. just need to try amps when I see them and make a decision based on that
    • So in the spirit of '****ting on the pot or playing what I've got,' I forgot while checking out these smaller, newer amps that I have a fat, ugly, broken down old wife of an amp laying in bed in the other room. Recalling all the amps idolized for what I want were only used because they were initially cheap/undesirable, I grabbed my 1969 Fender Libra out of storage (4x12" solid state combo with just two cheap-ass Celestion Rocket 50s installed at present.) Not played it in several years; my last recollection was it had a decent clean sound, but no dirt channel/master and any pedal made it sound like a broken radio (in a bad way.) I didn't hope for much plugging in, using what also may be my worst dirt pedal in the spirit of things (Fulldrive Dist. Pro) but...

DAMN. Maybe it's just been too long since I played through a 2x12" ; I know Rocket 50s are supposed to be terrible, and I didn't turn it up - but clean or distorted, I like this more than using my Warehouse 1x12" or the Peavey 4x12" I just got sick of and sold. Maybe I had a goofy setup before, but even barely tweaking knobs I get a heavy, smooth, creamy sound that is 'stoner.' Enormous bass. The Libra has a 'bright' switch on each channel that adds a lot of fizz, and I'm having luck jumping the vibrato and regular channels (since it has four holes) to blend some of fuzzy edge from one bright-switched channel with the other dark. It's dumb to say it, but it sounds freaking solid as hell.

Looking for at least new speakers now since enjoying Rocket 50s is embarrassing - thinking Cannabis Rex to keep some of the rolled-off treble? Or who knows, maybe the Rocket 50s are home. The amp does have issues - the vibrato is barely noticeable (clouded optical roach? Not that I need to use it) and the EQ knobs on the vibrato channel don't seem to work - but the reverb is glorious. May take it to a tech. The downside is, a 4x12" combo is not really practical to haul around for me.
    • Looks like T2Cs aren't too common anywhere right now, good suggestion though. I do want a combo for 'luggability,' I have a place out in the desert I can practice and turn up, but I don't always have room in my car to pack up my cab etc. as well as an amp; 1x12" combo fits that need; then again as mentioned so would a Micro & cab. I'm still *sorta* looking out for deals on say a smaller Orange Crush 35 if one shows up for nothing. We'll see I guess

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

I think a lot of cheap/stock speakers just get a bad rap 'cause they're cheap/stock speakers. Most stock speakers aren't so bad they're unusable &/or absolutely terrible. They may need some different EQ adjustment on your amp occasionally. But if you dial stuff in with your ears & not your eyes they usually end up sounding decent enough ...even fantastic sometimes.

My DIY SS amp sounds really awesome through a cheapo line 6 10" speaker I got off ebay. I like it best with that one..perfect round sweet punchy sound
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

use the OK amp you own and save your money until you can buy the sweet amp you want without stressing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    use the OK amp you own and save your money until you can buy the sweet amp you want without stressing about it.
    ^ this makes sense.

Yeah - think that's where I'm going. As for the Rocket 50s; listening to a lot of YouTube clips would lead me to believe these are the bottom-of-barrel speakers that they are priced as, despite the fact that I don't actually think they sound so bad in this application.

Taking the amp to a tech to try to sort out its issues and do a general service, then might try some Mod-12 35s (this is still not a valuable amp, so I don't want to put rims on it that are more pricey than the car so to speak.)

If it sounds okay with the speakers in it I wouldn't spend the money on new speakers.