Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Shop or Boutique PAF?

Default Custom Shop or Boutique PAF?

So I'm hankering for a set of PAFs for my way-too-middy LP and have been doing some research, and all signs kinda point to a low wind PAF that can help take the blanket off my tone. I'm desperately wanting a set that has much better string definition, tighter bass, and a push on the high mids and treble.

My search has led me to look at lower wind pickups, and there's a number of more boutique winders like ReWind and Lollar. Of course, that comes with the $300+ pricetag, a lot of marketing info about using original materials, and wire spun directly from the pubes of a unicorn.

Now I'm not saying they aren't great pickups, but sometimes you need to step back and cut though the jargon.

So my question is, considering that they're similarly priced, would you go for a boutique PAF maker, or SD Custom Shop, and why?
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Default Re: Custom Shop or Boutique PAF?

Antiquities would be what you need. Amazing boutique pickups under that price. They are clean, clear, dynamic, and about as good of a pedigree to old PAF design as you can get.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

At antiquities and boutique. really you're just picking your favorite recipe of a good gumbo. Everyone's is a little different. I believe the law of diminishing returns kicks in at some ppint.
    Could be totally happy with the SD catalog, but I do like trying different things ala Wolfetone, Jim Wagner, etc. Lollars never floated my boat.

I'd try a used set of antiquities first. If those don't do it for you, it gives you a good baseline
    Playing:
    Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
    Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
    Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
    Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

i love the antiquitys and use em in a few guitars but i dont know if the stock aged a2 magnets are the best for what you are looking for. luckily, its really easy to swap em. as far as boutique or duncan cs, id almost always go cs since you can have what you want. i bet an a4 loaded antiquity set would be sweet in that guitar. do you have 500k pots in there or 300k?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    i love the antiquitys and use em in a few guitars but i dont know if the stock aged a2 magnets are the best for what you are looking for. luckily, its really easy to swap em. as far as boutique or duncan cs, id almost always go cs since you can have what you want. i bet an a4 loaded antiquity set would be sweet in that guitar. do you have 500k pots in there or 300k?
    Or an Eclair set.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Ultimate Tone Slacker Archer250's Avatar

I would go for a local custom winder who has worked on those pickups.

Why? A set is around half of an SD custom shop PAF set.

But if I had to choose, I'd also go with SD custom shops. The people there have had extensive experience with pickups AND the price is totally reasonable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

I'm equally happy with my boutique Fralins and custom shop Duncans. They're both outstanding. You'll get the stock ones quicker, but it's fun creating your own pup.
    Maniac - Blasphemer - Necrobutcher - Hellhammer

Mojo's Minions

Both Zhangbucker and Vineham wind great pickups at less than Custom Shop prices......in fact less than regular Duncan prices sometimes. And they will listen to you and wind what you want (or recommend a stock wind that will do what you want).

The more expensive boutiques go all out getting every aspect of a vintage PAF right. There is a lot of small run fabrication going on, which inflates the price more than somewhat. But of course if you want to get as close to the vintage tone - tone specific aspects like wire, magnets and other metal parts do have to be taken care of.
    The above recommendations aren't trying to dot every 'i' and cross every 't'. So they are a lot cheaper for a lot of pickup.

I would say if your LP is too "middy", and you want tighter bass, get a PAF clone that utilizes an A5 magnet.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

Ultimate Tone Slacker Archer250's Avatar

Tbh, having played A4, A3, A2 and A5 PAFs, I'd say that a good winder will be able to wind you something good with the magnets' weak and strong points in mind regardless.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

An Antiquity or Seth Lover set with some sortiment of magnets go a really long way, tonewise.

/Peter
    Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
    Kolding, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    500k. INteresting...I've never had a A4 loaded pickup before. I was always under the impression A2s would tighten the bass and give a bit more highs?

A2 is the darkest, wooliest mag... so no haha.
    Maniac - Blasphemer - Necrobutcher - Hellhammer

a2 tends to have a softer, rounder high end with a spongy bottom. i LOVE them in humbuckers, i dont know if i have anything else in my bridge buckers. a4 tends to have a flatter eq profile with a little sharper high end than a2, tighter bottom, and cleaner mids. a5 has a bigger bottom, scooped mids, and strong clear top end. the wind of the antiquitys is fantastic and takes mag swaps very well

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphial View Post
    So I'm hankering for a set of PAFs for my way-too-middy LP and have been doing some research, and all signs kinda point to a low wind PAF that can help take the blanket off my tone.

I'm desperately wanting a set that has much better string definition, tighter bass, and a push on the high mids and treble.
    What pickups are in there now? (why hasn't anyone asked this question? ha ha!)

A2 mags are not always "wooly", particularly when it comes to low-output winds. In fact, in really low output winds, they work well to keep the sound balanced and not overly scooped or thin.

That said, A2 is not the "tightest" of mag options. A5 will generally tighten up the bottom, clean up the mids and boost the treble.

As has been mentioned, the Antiquities are easily among the best PAF type pickups out there and a really good starting point. But I'm curious what's already in your guitar...do you have any experience with low-wind PAFs or any PAF type pickups at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphial View Post
    I'm desperately wanting a set that has much better string definition, tighter bass, and a push on the high mids and treble 500k. Interesting...I've never had a A4 loaded pickup before. I was always under the impression A2s would tighten the bass and give a bit more highs?

Tight lows rules out A2 pickups, like Ant's & Seth's. For tight, bright & clear in a middy LP, you're best off with A5 & A4 magnets. Have you looked at Duncan's like the '59/Custom hybrid with a Jazz in the neck slot?

Also, check out spin-a-split (diagram on this site) for the neck PU, it gives added clarity and thins out mids, by giving all the great unbalanced tones of the Original PAF's. No parts needed, just rewire the neck tone pot. No cost.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Ultimate Tone Member

Have you thought about 'bucker sized p90s?

Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    What pickups are in there now? (why hasn't anyone asked this question? ha ha!)

A2 mags are not always "wooly", particularly when it comes to low-output winds. In fact, in really low output winds, they work well to keep the sound balanced and not overly scooped or thin.

That said, A2 is not the "tightest" of mag options. A5 will generally tighten up the bottom, clean up the mids and boost the treble.

As has been mentioned, the Antiquities are easily among the best PAF type pickups out there and a really good starting point. But I'm curious what's already in your guitar...do you have any experience with low-wind PAFs or any PAF type pickups at all?
    They're A5 Marshallheads from Wolfetone. More on the hotter PAF side of the spectrum. Experience has been 59s (too much wooly bottom), 57 and 57+ (good cut, but uneven across the spectrum and the plus can be a touch harsh), Burstbucker Pros (not actually that bad), Seth Lover neck only (good, only needed a touch more treble, stored away in another country).

I have. I'm actually really tempted on it tbh...also considering a wide range hummy, but the version I have (Creamery) is a little too far from the PAF sound.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    I would say if your LP is too "middy", and you want tighter bass, get a PAF clone that utilizes an A5 magnet.
    This is my vote as well. I'd be less concerned about boutique/custom shop and more concerned with the eq curve. A5 pickups are where you should start, though I guess you shouldn't limit it to that. Stock Whole Lotta Humbuckers might do the trick, and they're not all that expensive.