Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Guitar You Wish Youd Bought Earlier

Default The Guitar You Wish Youd Bought Earlier

I started playing in the early 90s. Not long after learning about SGs, Les Pauls, Strats, and Teles, I discovered Paul Reed Smith. Loads of bands I loved were using them, and the magazines were teeming with ads picturing these classic but modern looking guitars.

Every so often Id encounter one in person, and they looked and played great. Started jonesing for one, and a quarter of a century later, I finally got one. Id wanted to hold out for a real one, but stumbled onto a good trade deal for an SE. Loved it enough that it kicked me into gear, and I just got an S2 a week ago.

This guitar is everything Ive been chasing for the last hundred plus guitars Ive bought, sold, and traded. I cant help but feel a little dumb for waiting this long to make it happen.

Anybody else take 25 years to get the one?

Default Re: The Guitar You Wish Youd Bought Earlier

When I started playing I was all about the Stratocaster and Strat tones. It seemed like every player I was into was playing them. For years I owned Strats exclusively, but I did buy a tele at one point. Then after years, decades really, I started getting the itch for a Gibson guitar with humbuckers. I couldn't really afford one at the time, so I swapped the Tele for a Studio faded. It checked off all of my boxes, I wanted the 50's neck profile, affordable, and because it was a bottom of the totem pole sort of Gibson; I wouldn't think twice about modding it. I played it stock for about a year, then overhauled it with 50's wiring, PIO caps, Pearly Gates pickups, and Grover lockers. The only issue the guitar had left was the factory nut was cut wrong, and binded and caused tuning issues; that was an easy fix.

Owning a humbucker guitar and playing something with a different scale was a revelation to me. I really enjoyed it, and eventually upgraded and now two Les Pauls that are both keepers. I still prefer the feel and overall experience of playing a Strat, I guess because it's what I'm most used to. However, the tone and feel of the Gibsons are pretty cool too. I wish instead of waiting I had made the move sooner. I am starting to really like the tones that you can get out of a Les Paul. It's crazy how versatile they are, it just takes a bit of learning how to get different tones out of one.

I used a stock Strat for the first 20 years of playing, and I wished I'd gotten started on humbuckers earlier. Now, humbuckers mixed with the ergonomics of a strat-like body is my favorite.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

The more I think about it, maybe it's better I got it now rather than before. Kind of like when you experience a life changing book or movie, it probably has a lot to do with where you are at that point, and maybe wouldn't have been as impactful at another time.

Whatever, got the one I've been after, so I'm happy. It'll be nice going to music stores, trying out the higher end stuff, and not coming home pissed off

Now, on to obsessing about amps...

I wanted a strat when I first started out but for various reasons ended up with a 335. Which I learned to love . . . so it took me nearly 20 years until I got a strat. Strats are amazing! Between the single coils, the trem, and longer scale, it just plays radically differently, much better for a lot of the sounds I had been trying to get.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

See, I just got a 335-style (Eastman T59/v) and wished I had been exposed to these earlier. I mean, I was aware of 335s but I never used one through my rig. Now I know what I was missing.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    See, I just got a 335-style (Eastman T59/v) and wished I had been exposed to these earlier. I mean, I was aware of 335s but I never used one through my rig. Now I know what I was missing.
    They're great guitars! I'd take a 335 over a Les Paul any day of the week.

I like my strat better for playing with effects (specifically phaser, vibe, and wah), upper fret access, fast funk strumming, and using the trem. I like my 335 better for double stop bends, thick/gorgeous lead sounds, and jazzy comping. With just the 335 there was a huge annoying hole . . . but together they cover pretty much all the guitar sounds that I can see myself needing.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Toneologist

Not a specific guitar, but I wish I’d gone high-quality earlier.

I spent a lot of time, and money, buying low-end and low/mid end guitars and adding pickups to improve them a bit (that’s how I ended up on this forum!).

Then when I played some Suhr, Vigier, Musicman, etc, guitars... I understood that every single aspect of those guitars was just amazing and contributed to a completely different (better) playing experience.

I can’t afford a Suhr, but I did splash out of some really nice parts and built a Warmoth, then I spent a chuck of change on having a pro assemble it and make the frets nice. I was also able to choose neck dimensions that suit me perfectly (narrow nut width, tall frets, asymmetric profile, compound radius). Glad I did it.

^ I love the Facebook guitar groups with an army of people claiming they went to Guitar Center for a Custom Shop Strat but all the Squier Bullets played better. I’m not making fun of people who can’t afford expensive gear. All my new stuff comes from selling old stuff and occasionally lucking out on a trade. Don’t say some dumb crap to explain why you’re playing a $100 guitar, though.

Like 16 years to get my Charvel SoCal after using my Fender Strat. I am not a pro player and my strat is great too but I wish I had it when I had more time to play daily, radius and frets and bridge make a big difference.
    Who took my guitar?

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Ibanez RG. After decades of recommending it for folks probably several hundred times and recording these even more so with great tones and a smile on my face when the band gone restin' for the day and I tested the gear a little, I realised just recently that I've actually never had one. I had basses, Artist, AX and a couple of other Ibanez models but never an RG. It must be fixed some time soon.

Squier '51. I bought mine relatively late for its production era, somewhere around 2007 in a local shop where the sales guy knew me well for ages and also knew that Strats and me, and me and Strats... Don't really glue well. He gave me the '51 saying, "Now finally this is a hardtail Strat that was made for you". It was an understatement. I was totally blown away. I wish I had something like that around 1990.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 09-20-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Not quite the answer for this thread, but I wish I had sold my telecaster sooner because for a long time it was my only guitar and I really didn't like it. I didn't play much those years.

I also wish I could've bought a Helix 15 years ago. EZ Drummer is another tool that has really pushed me to play guitar more, write my own songs, improve my timing, etc.

But I never bought a guitar that changed everything for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

My first PRS literally changed the way I approach music when I bought it in '87.
    By that time I'd already been playing guitar for twenty years, and making my living at it for more than ten.
    I still love Strats & LPs. And Teles & korinas and McNaughts and my other PRSs, especially the DGT.
    But that first PRS remains my #1 32 years later.
    "Brains have been washed. Wheels have been greased. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory."

My RG1570 that I bought last year. It's the perfect guitar for me in every single way. And it's also the very first guitar I ever lusted after, some 15 years ago as a kid in high school flipping through a catalogue.

The instant I saw it I knew I had to have it, something just jumped out of the pages at me. I had pored over Jackson and Ibanez catalogs but this was the one!!! but that was when I had just gotten my first Squier and was already hungry to upgrade , and it was just a dream. Kid with no money.

By the time I got money enough to buy real quality instruments, I sort of forgot about it . The first real quality instrument I ended up buying was an American Stratocaster instead. From there I moved on to Les Pauls, SGs, Flying Vs, various USA Jacksons, ESPs, Deans, pretty much everything but never did go back and try an Ibanez. But now I finally have it and it's like it was built exactly for my body, and my hands. It's the PERFECT guitar and I wish I'd bought it all those years ago.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

A Stratocaster : I bought mine in 1996 (a Jeff Beck signature, the first official Fender HSS Strat).
    But I should really have bought one before.
    Last edited by Francois; 09-23-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I used a stock Strat for the first 20 years of playing, and I wished I'd gotten started on humbuckers earlier. Now, humbuckers mixed with the ergonomics of a strat-like body is my favorite.
    ^ This.

When I bought my first guitar back in 2000 I knew literally nothing. Just went to 2-3 shops, saw a few guitars (didn't have the money at the time) and finally, went to a single shop and got the one guitar I thought I liked the best.

I got an MiM Fender Strat, which for the most part I loved and ended up spending a small fortune trying to make it sound the way I wanted it to, until this forum gave birth to the Crazy 8 (remember that?) and finally decided to put a full-sized humbucker in the bridge instead of the SC-sized mini ones.

It. Was. A Revelation. 7 years too late...

Most people say Leo got it right, I respectfully disagree.

A Strat was meant to have a Humbucker in the bridge...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay View Post
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by That90'sGuy View Post
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeperOS View Post

Most people say Leo got it right, I respectfully disagree.

A Strat was meant to have a Humbucker in the bridge...
    Same here... except they should also be made of mahogany, have set necks, 3 on a side tuners, and dual humbuckers with really slick coil-split wiring.

Just kidding, I love Strats, provided the bridge pickup has its own tone control and the bridge is floating.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Guess I'm lucky I got my perfect guitar at the start. Then I added a pair of custom-wound A4 SIN pickups & it went right over the top. Love all my others, but nothing feels like my 25+ year old Ibby S-540 Ltd. It's like a comfortable old pair of well worn jeans..

Tone for days ..so resonant it literally comes alive in my hands....

And the neck is greased lightning ..anything I play fast on other guitars, I play faster on this one

The truth is nothing else I've played (Gibson's, Fender's, Soloist's, RG's, SE's & even a few high end custom jobs ....Anderson's, fancy djenter's etc other people's stuff that I've only played on briefly ..not my own) even come close. The comfort & mojo can't be matched

I think my other two faves to play are my Jackson DK2 & lately my Charvel (wouldn't have minded getting it earlier) ..both absolutely killer axes, but they still are'nt my S-540..
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

A Jazz Bass. Wanted one since the late '80s. Never got one. Ended up playing Ps instead. Finally got my first J last year. I don't love it as much as a P, but I do wish I had owned one earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

My Jap Tokai 335, 750 used, my Gibson LP just gathers dust now.

A telecaster comes close second