Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can you ID these Strat pickups?

Default Can you ID these Strat pickups?

Picked this purple/blue (indigo?) 1995/1999 MIM Strat a couple of weekends ago. Looks like all of the electronics have been changed by a previous owner. The middle and neck pickups sound pretty good, the bridge not so much. None look like any MIM pickups I've seen. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190921_195152560.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	101252
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Can you ID these Strat pickups?

alnico rod magnet single coils but the neck/middle are different from the bridge. there isnt much to go on as to what they are from those pics but the n/m have cloth wiring and forbon bobbins while the bridge looks to have a molded plastic bobbin and poly coated wire

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    alnico rod magnet single coils but the neck/middle are different from the bridge. there isnt much to go on as to what they are from those pics but the n/m have cloth wiring and forbon bobbins while the bridge looks to have a molded plastic bobbin and poly coated wire
    Agreed on all points. I'm hoping someone will recognize the "m" on the neck and middle. They sound pretty good. The bridge, not so much.

I had my favorite tech change some things around, moving the generic looking pickup to the middle position and adding a Dunlop super pot for the volume control (disappointing). His shop is a Fender dealer and he believes the pickups pictured in the middle and neck positions in the photos above to be Texas Specials. Thoughts?

what color is the coil wire? what do they read on a meter?