Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Demon neck magnet swap?

  1. #1
    Ultimate Tone Member audiocheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South NJ
    Posts
    533

    Default Demon neck magnet swap?

    For those who like and use the Screamin' Demon in a neck position, ever done a magnet swap for it?

    I have a pair of Demons in a LP and like it very much. But in my constant insatiable quest for tone, I was wondering what an A3 version might bring to the neck position.

  2. #2
    Bacteriaolgoist GuitarDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calif
    Age
    72
    Posts
    13,267

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    Certainly it will work in the Demon, but to me it seems rather lifeless. I like A2 or a UOA5 better if you're after a warmer tone.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

  3. #3
    Ultimate Tone Member audiocheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South NJ
    Posts
    533

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Certainly it will work in the Demon, but to me it seems rather lifeless. I like A2 or a UOA5 better if you're after a warmer tone.

    Good to know, thanks. I wasn't looking for more warmth, actually looking for less output and even more clarity for the neck position. So more bite or treble would be cool, but lifeless is not going in a good direction. Kind of a quest for the perfect neck pairing for the Demon in the bridge. I might just leave this guitar alone and go with an A3-FSn and a Demon in a different LP.

  4. #4
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    6,603

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    If you want more bite and clarity try A9.
    That when I tell you that I love you
    You're gonna say you love me too

  5. #5
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    Isn’t a9 really strong for the neck though?

    I still don’t know what it’s supposed to sound like.

  6. #6
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    6,603

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    It's not as strong as A8 but has mids like A8 but isn't dark and has treble like A5. It's the best alnico option for neck cut.
    That when I tell you that I love you
    You're gonna say you love me too

  7. #7
    Bacteriaolgoist GuitarDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calif
    Age
    72
    Posts
    13,267

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    A9 might be stronger than what you're after. If you want more clarity and less output, the first thing I would try is lowering the pup very low and raising the screws way up. The A4 mag may also be useful for lowering the output.

    Or to increase the relative difference in output between the two pups, put an A8 or A9 in the bridge pup and keep it fairly high. Put an A4 mag in the neck pup and keep it low with the screws high. Adjust your amp to the bridge pup.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

  8. #8
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    6,603

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    A9 neck, double thick A8 bridge is my jam.
    That when I tell you that I love you
    You're gonna say you love me too

  9. #9
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    I wonder if an a9 is the answer to my issues. I want the a5/ceramic combined sound. The a8 I have does have an A2 sounding high end so maybe the a9 would work. I just don’t want a stiff load of sterility. I guess I keep talking myself into trying the a5 center with a ceramic flank.

  10. #10
    Mojo's Minions masta' c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tone Heaven, USA
    Posts
    3,630

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    A9 is the wrong direction for the OP.

    Lower output and more top end = A3

    Could also stick with the A5 and try doing a "half-air" mod to the Demon.

  11. #11
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    6,603

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtomecha View Post
    I wonder if an a9 is the answer to my issues. I want the a5/ceramic combined sound. The a8 I have does have an A2 sounding high end so maybe the a9 would work. I just don’t want a stiff load of sterility. I guess I keep talking myself into trying the a5 center with a ceramic flank.
    That's why I use A9, because it's brighter and more organic than A8. If you want the A5 and ceranic sound though, use that.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 10-04-2019 at 03:43 AM.
    That when I tell you that I love you
    You're gonna say you love me too

  12. #12
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    6,603

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    A9 is the wrong direction for the OP.
    Not if he wants bite like he said. The uo mags are all tamer than A5. A9 is grittier. Then a double thick mag could be used in the bridge to balance outputs (and fill out the Demon bridge.) Anything besides A5, A8 and the uo mags freaks you guys out though.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 10-04-2019 at 03:39 AM.
    That when I tell you that I love you
    You're gonna say you love me too

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    If a demon is bothering you, you need a priest, not magnets!

  14. #14
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    6,603

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    Quote Originally Posted by audiocheck View Post
    My constant insatiable quest for tone.
    A9 neck, double thick A8 or A6 bridge god damn it!!
    That when I tell you that I love you
    You're gonna say you love me too

  15. #15
    Ultimate Tone Member audiocheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South NJ
    Posts
    533

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    Not if he wants bite like he said. The uo mags are all tamer than A5. A9 is grittier. Then a double thick mag could be used in the bridge to balance outputs (and fill out the Demon bridge.) Anything besides A5, A8 and the uo mags freaks you guys out though.
    So the Demon in the bridge is probably my favorite bridge pickup in my Les Pauls. So I don't want to change that. I will look into an A9, where can you buy those online?

  16. #16
    Ultimate Tone Member audiocheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South NJ
    Posts
    533

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    A9 is the wrong direction for the OP.

    Lower output and more top end = A3

    Could also stick with the A5 and try doing a "half-air" mod to the Demon.
    What is the "Half Air" mod??

  17. #17
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    6,603
    That when I tell you that I love you
    You're gonna say you love me too

  18. #18
    Ultimate Tone Member audiocheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South NJ
    Posts
    533

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    A9 might be stronger than what you're after. If you want more clarity and less output, the first thing I would try is lowering the pup very low and raising the screws way up. The A4 mag may also be useful for lowering the output.

    Or to increase the relative difference in output between the two pups, put an A8 or A9 in the bridge pup and keep it fairly high. Put an A4 mag in the neck pup and keep it low with the screws high. Adjust your amp to the bridge pup.
    That is exactly how my neck Demon sits. Low with the Hex poles Raised pretty high and the screw poles raised to the radius of the strings. Don't get me wrong, this works pretty well. In fact I have been satisfied with it for the past 2 years, over the Jazz I had in there before. I was just wondering if I could take it that extra 10% and make it perfect. Do you think the A4 would just lower the output? Or would it flatten the EQ too much as to make it have less bite? I am also concerned that an A4 might be too sterile sounding in a Demon.

  19. #19
    Ultimate Tone Member audiocheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South NJ
    Posts
    533

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    just an FYI, I am a fan of lower output pickups. The demon is on the border and as compressed as I would ever go. High output pups just don't mesh with my playing style. The Demon is pushed just enough and it's EQ curve is awesome. It's the sound thats always been in my head.

  20. #20
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    6,603

    Default Re: Demon neck magnet swap?

    To me you can do slight height adjustments in the neck to compensate for your mag. The uos (A4) will give you a more vintage sound, while A9 would give you a more biting sound. Whatever you're after.
    That when I tell you that I love you
    You're gonna say you love me too

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •