Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is the 4 conductor 59 neck so expensive?

Tone Member

Default Why is the 4 conductor 59 neck so expensive?

I want a 59 neck to go with the JB in my Charvel. It has the push/pull volume for coil splits. Why is the 4 conductor 59 so much more expensive than the 2 conductor?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Why is the 4 conductor 59 neck so expensive?

Cuz they're shady. A lot of stuff is more expensive that doesn't have anything to do with more expensive materials or more work. You can change the leads yourself if you want.
    I'm on vaca!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    Cuz they're shady.
    Was gonna tell you to chill, then looked and saw it’s a $26 up charge. That’s ridiculous.

I realized I always set people up to get their post liked like crazy while I get nothing lol.
    I'm on vaca!!

I realized I always set people up to get their post liked like crazy while I get nothing lol.
    We all love you Clint.

Aw thx
    I'm on vaca!!

You were the first one to like my post.

Well, they do have to disrupt the production line to make it special. I think it is ridiculous that the local music store charges $20 to restring a guitar. But if you don't want to do it yourself, you have to pay someone else to do it.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Well, they do have to disrupt the production line to make it special. I think it is ridiculous that the local music store charges $20 to restring a guitar. But if you don't want to do it yourself, you have to pay someone else to do it.
    Not to be that guy, but I do have a local place that will restring for free if you buy them from him.

Let me make another string comparison: I just got back into using SIT strings. Most companies make 11 sets with either a plain or wound third. SIT includes both a wound .020” and a plain .018” in the same set. They also give an extra high E in their .008” and .009” gauge sets. The price is the same as all the other standard string sets, even though you’re getting 7 rather than 6.

Yeah, I get that it takes a little extra time to make a 4 conductor ‘59, but a roughly 30% up charge is ridiculous.

You just don't know where to shop.

banjomikez has ACTUALLY IN STOCK a whole lot of Duncan Custom Floor p'ups. What about a 4-con, short-legged '59n for $ 89.00? Is that so crazy expensive?

I don't think so.

/Peter
    Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
    Kolding, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I'm of the opinion that all humbuckers should come stock with 4 conductors, and the single conductor with braided shield should be a custom order.

Maybe that's why I'm not a pickup maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Discharged View Post

banjomikez has ACTUALLY IN STOCK a whole lot of Duncan Custom Floor p'ups. What about a 4-con, short-legged '59n for $ 89.00? Is that so crazy expensive?

I don't think so.

/Peter
    This. You have to shop around, just like the best price on anything.

Tone Member

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Tone Meister View Post
    I'm of the opinion that all humbuckers should come stock with 4 conductors, and the single conductor with braided shield should be a custom order.

Maybe that's why I'm not a pickup maker.
    Im with you.

I don't think so.

/Peter
    LOL nothing like starting a post by dissing the OP. Strong start.

I don't think so.

/Peter
    Bought from Mike often and recommend him highly. Got one pickup from him that as sold as new with no evidence that the box had ever been opened off ebay but had been soldered in and the leads cut. The guy ran me down and personally called me to make things right after I informed him what happened on ebay. Some of the best after sale service I have ever gotten and he has a life time customer with me as a result.
    Keeps a lot of floor custom pickups in stock at very fair prices and really stands behind what he sells.
    Last edited by Ascension; 10-05-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

I bought a 4-conductor 59n in the Trading Post for $65 last year. That one had a gold cover no less. Just know what you are looking for in advance, be patient, and jump on a deal when you see one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Bought from Mike often and recommend him highly. Got one pickup from him that as sold as new with no evidence that the box had ever been opened off ebay but had been soldered in and the leads cut. The guy ran me down and personally called me to make things right after I informed him what happened on ebay. Some of the best after sale service I have ever gotten and he has a life time customer with me as a result.
    Keeps a lot of floor custom pickups in stock at very fair prices and really stands behind what he sells.
    This. I live in Portugal, Europe, and had some american friends who live over here buy me some picckups from him when they go home for the holidays. The most special thing I ordered was a reverse zebra TB-4 that noone carries in Europe. Same price as a regular black TB-4.

The amazing thing is the "case candy". One time I got a Seymour Duncan bottle opener keyring. This was about 6 years ago, and it has become since then the keyring for my car keys.

Awesome dealer, amazing prices, especially when compared to the european ones, and a truly varied offer, as Ascension already noted.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (TB4) & DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD MH-1000HS (Pegasus/HRn), ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB6/JazzN), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HX FX & Stomp, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

I believe there are some tutorials available out there for turning a 2 conductor into a 4 conductor, too.

Toneologist

Braided is stock on the 59'. That's just the way it is. When I ordered my first 59' about 25 years ago I had to pay the 4-conductor upcharge.

What I do now, is look for OEM versions that have been pulled out of stock guitars that come with Duncans. A LOT of guitars come stock with a 59' in the neck. And they are usually 4-conductor (and often have the logo on the bobbins whereas I believe the stock 59' has no logo).