Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom shop SH-6 Distortion? Anyone ever?

Default Custom shop SH-6 Distortion? Anyone ever?

For high powered metal pickups I looooove the Duncan Distortion. Iím looking for something with that same screaming tonality and EQ with maybe a little less compression, more harmonics, a little more clarity, slightly less hot (not alot), and maybe just a touch brighter (it will have a cover and I prefer the brighter more aggressive sound of my uncovered ones vs the covered I have)

Iím thinking of calling the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop and having MJ wind me one. So I donít sound like an idiot as Iím not an expert in pickup design, what would you suggest I ask for? Only real requirement is it must retain the same basic EQ balance and tight response, and it must have gold covers and screws.

This will be going in a Flying V Custom with a Richlite fretboard, itís slightly darker sounding. Tuning will be D standard/ drop C.

Iím thinking I want to ask for slightly underwound in the 15.5 - 16k range, same double thick ceramic, maybe degaussed a bit if thatís do-able in a ceramic? Does this make sense for what Iím looking for? I know theyíre the experts and will shed some light and probably come up with what I want but still curious as to what those who know more have to say.

Thought about the George Lynch Hunter, but not sure if itís got a double thick magnet, looks like standard and I believe itís probably just a Dokkenbucker with a new name. Not opposed, thereís just not a lot of info about it out there or demos.

Any other suggestions for brands or models Iím all ears, Iíve been through BKP Nailbombs in both alnico and ceramic and they didnít do it for me, neither did the Holy Diver. I donít care for the JB either, or the 498T that came in it.

Default Re: Custom shop SH-6 Distortion? Anyone ever?

Ask for a "Black Winter". j/k...well, sort of

You can get a "shop floor custom" BW with a Gold cover and poles for probably $120 shipped from BanjoMikez if you're in the US. If you like the Distortion, but haven't tried the BW, you should make it a point to.

The Hunter is a good choice for approximating an underwound Distortion and the added brightness should offset the impacts of a cover nicely, so there's that...

Or, just tell give them an overview of what you want, like you posted above...

I looooove the Duncan Distortion. I’m looking for something with that same screaming tonality and EQ with maybe a little less compression, more harmonics, a little more clarity, slightly less hot (not alot), and maybe just a touch brighter
    ...and let MJ work her magic!

A 13k Distortion neck in the bridge is an underwound Distortion and will be less hot and compressed, and brighter and clearer.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 10-09-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    I'm on vaca!!

Toneologist

Maybe try a Distortion (or JB) with a regular ceramic magnet first.

I recommend saying what you said in the first paragraph, and let MJ decide the specs. If you say, "I want a blah-blah kohm with blah-blah wire and blah-blah magnet," there's a really good chance it's not going to sound like you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    I recommend saying what you said in the first paragraph, and let MJ decide the specs. If you say, "I want a blah-blah kohm with blah-blah wire and blah-blah magnet," there's a really good chance it's not going to sound like you expect.
    Aaaaaand, that’s I guess all there is, folks. Probably best advice, and I thought so going in. Thank you all. ��

Well, something that is really close to a Distortion seems slightly silly to go to the Custom Shop for...if you are not getting something like a completely weird color, or different poles, I would suggest getting something really unique. An underwound Distortion seems interesting, though. I'd love to try it with 2 big rails.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by RyeDaddy View Post
    For high powered metal pickups I looooove the Duncan Distortion. Iím looking for something with that same screaming tonality and EQ with maybe a little less compression, more harmonics, a little more clarity, slightly less hot (not alot), and maybe just a touch brighter (it will have a cover and I prefer the brighter more aggressive sound of my uncovered ones vs the covered I have)

Iím thinking of calling the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop and having MJ wind me one. So I donít sound like an idiot as Iím not an expert in pickup design, what would you suggest I ask for? Only real requirement is it must retain the same basic EQ balance and tight response, and it must have gold covers and screws.

This will be going in a Flying V Custom with a Richlite fretboard, itís slightly darker sounding. Tuning will be D standard/ drop C.

Iím thinking I want to ask for slightly underwound in the 15.5 - 16k range, same double thick ceramic, maybe degaussed a bit if thatís do-able in a ceramic? Does this make sense for what Iím looking for? I know theyíre the experts and will shed some light and probably come up with what I want but still curious as to what those who know more have to say.

Thought about the George Lynch Hunter, but not sure if itís got a double thick magnet, looks like standard and I believe itís probably just a Dokkenbucker with a new name. Not opposed, thereís just not a lot of info about it out there or demos.

Any other suggestions for brands or models Iím all ears, Iíve been through BKP Nailbombs in both alnico and ceramic and they didnít do it for me, neither did the Holy Diver. I donít care for the JB either, or the 498T that came in it.
    you're asking for:

same screaming tonality and EQ with maybe a little less compression, more harmonics, a little more clarity, slightly less hot (not alot), and maybe just a touch brighter

That's exactly what th SH6N is. It's not underwound, it just uses a different wire but still has the double thick ceramic magnet. It is a touch brighter, a bit more open, has amazing harmonics but the same growl and bite of the SH6 bridge.

I'd suggest you give that a go first before you dive headfirst into a customshop pickup. I'd strongly, strongly suggest going that route. It's a closer fit to your wishes tonally than the pegasus, nazgul or perpetual burn (if we're looking at standard offerings from SD) and it's not unlikely you'll find this pickup fairly cheap on ebay or craigslist IMHO it's one of the most underrated BRIDGE pickups SD makes and totally mismatched as a neck pickup. The SH6 and SH6N would be better served with a JazzB or Sentient.

SH-6n is a really good suggestion! Didn't think of that.

It was actually designed as a bridge pickup (originally called the SH-7 "Seymourizer") around the same time as the SH-6 and is just as Orpheo says!

Or what I said.
    I'm on vaca!!

True, you did say it first. Took my brain a while to come around, LOL!

Good suggestion

Mojo's Minions

yeah, no. not really, Sorry Clint. The SH6N isn't an underwound SH6 by any means. The SH6 has 44 awg wire, the SH6N has 43 awg wire. That's like saying that the Custom5 is an overwound '59, which isn't true.

The bridge model still has more output than the neck model. Underwound/overwound is more a synonym for output rather than getting all technical about wire gauge and turns (which I understand). It's going to be ok.
    I'm on vaca!!

The SH-6n looks like a great candidate. If it does not work out, the Custom Shop could be the backup plan.
    "The truth is that I have preserved my sanity, and, I sometimes think, my life, by not getting enmeshed in the turbulent world of rockaboogie music." - John Peel

Seymour Duncans currently in use - Duncan Custom(b)/Jazz(n), P-Rails(b)/Vintage Stack Tele(n), Duncan Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), 59(b)/59(n) w/A4 mag, Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n), Mag Mic, Brobucker(b), P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n)

Quote Originally Posted by orpheo View Post
    yeah, no. not really, Sorry Clint. The SH6N isn't an underwound SH6 by any means. The SH6 has 44 awg wire, the SH6N has 43 awg wire. That's like saying that the Custom5 is an overwound '59, which isn't true.
    I totally get where you're coming from, and you're correct from a purely technical standpoint, but the SH-6n (i.e. SH-7) is still a really solid recommendation for what the OP's after

Why not try the Custom?

I think everyone should at least try the Custom. I don't think it actually fits what the OP wants, but I really think that the Custom is one of those pickups that's really loved here but doesn't quite get the marketing love it should outside these forum walls. Everyone's heard of the JB and the Distortion, but when I heard Seymour Duncan Custom, I thought it was something expensive from the custom shop instead of one of the best regular-production pickups Seymour Duncan makes. I go back to it in some form or other at least once a year, often regretting pulling it in the first place.

The Custom is a great pickup, one of the most versatile and broadly appealing pickup out there, but it doesn't sound like what the OP wants. It's not the "same screaming tonality" as the Distortion at all.

The Distortion neck as a bridge pickup is an interesting idea. It isn't discussed that much on here so I'm really interested to hear how it works if you try it. You should have no problem finding a good deal on a used one.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

OP here, I have a Custom in another guitar and that’s not what I’m looking for. The Custom is definitely brighter, but lacks the screaming upper mids of the Distortion.

The suggestion of a Distortion Neck is viable, and easy to try as the guitar actually already has one in the neck. The Flying V I’m asking about has a Mayhem set in it with gold covers on both, I could easily swap the neck into the bridge and give it a whirl. If it doesn’t work out I think I’ll look into the George Lynch Hunter. It sounds like exactly what I’m after, and a little more bottom end which I like.

Mojo's Minions

I wonder how the Custom would sound with the double thick ceramic mag of the Distortion. I've got a drawer full of SH5's, ready to be butchered, so I'll likely do just that to give it a go one day.

If you don't like the SH6N in the neck, the Hunter is likely a great candidate.