Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Amps

Default Re: Forgotten Amps

By coincidence I was googling Bogner/Line 6 yesterday (the primary result wa someone on this forum loving it.)

Still weird the MA series got concluded with little fanfare, but I guess there wasn’t any lament. I started listening to Segeborn videos on YouTube, he has the MG100 sounding fine (but if I had to be picky, it does lack bass and sound a bit fizzy. Could be his EQ but no other amp he dials in sounds that bass-less.)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Kid View Post
    By coincidence I was googling Bogner/Line 6 yesterday (the primary result wa someone on this forum loving it.)

Still weird the MA series got concluded with little fanfare, but I guess there wasn’t any lament. I started listening to Segeborn videos on YouTube, he has the MG100 sounding fine (but if I had to be picky, it does lack bass and sound a bit fizzy. Could be his EQ but no other amp he dials in sounds that bass-less.)
    I'm the one who loves the Spidervalve.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

The Spider Valves aren't terrible, for a Spider. The other one that's a forgotten amp is the Bogner Alchemist, which is what Bogner got out of their joint venture with Line 6.
    The Mode Four, Metalhead, and Warp 7 all came out around the end of the Nu-Metal era, and their sales suffered for it. I've heard good things about the Warp 7, bit never tried it or the Metalhead. The Mode Four was okay, just a higher powered AVT series, but the 4×12 cabs were pretty good.
    Last edited by allbutromeo; 10-11-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

The Marshall MAs were pretty hopeless. I remember those. MIC tube Marshalls for the price of a used DSL/TSL. Unreliable and flimsy.

Also I wouldn't call the following amps forgotten, but unknown maybe? The Marshall Astoria combos. Those things sound freaking great IMO yet there's not a word about them anywhere.

Egnaters are so irrelevant these days. No new releases, news, endorsements or anything at all, really. Nothing. Makes me wonder if they even exist at all at this point.

Traynors were great amps in the 90s that nobody knows about these days.

Ibanez had a tube head with a built-in Tubescreamer. Thermion I think it was called?

Blackheart had some sweet tiny combos in the past decade.

And whatever that Dime solid-state head was. Was it a Dean technically?
    Last edited by Diego; 10-11-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

My first tube amp could have been way worse than the Blackheart 5w I had

Were they not related to crate amps
    Crate v5 and v33 or whatever they were called were pretty bad budget tube amps that I remember all my small local music stores not being able to get rid of

Does anyone still talk about the epi valve Jr?

So strange, I almost included the Tubsecreamer + Ibanez and the little Epiphone valve thing but they’re ‘post-internet’ and meld into a lot of fads of the month for me. Then again the MA ought to be in that boat too but they’re were really quickly forgotten.
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Ultimate Tone Slacker NoOnesFang13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FuseG4 View Post
    Does anyone still talk about the epi valve Jr?
    I think alot of people bought them to mod because its such a simple circuit. I actually found a demounted chassis in my garage that i have no idea where it came from, maybe i was drunk and bought it on ebay to mod but i honestly cant remember buying or recieving it.

Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Well, almost every ad in late 70s Guitar Player magazines had a product that is made by a company that isn't around. Fender usually had the back cover, and those models aren't made anymore. But it is a blast to see all the ads inside with amps and effects touted as the best thing ever.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    I had a Vox VT80+. That has a great Marshall patch. Several actually.

That was the main patch I used most of the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, the ones I've tried where on the cheaper side with small speaker.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Quote Originally Posted by NoOnesFang13 View Post
    I think alot of people bought them to mod because its such a simple circuit. I actually found a demounted chassis in my garage that i have no idea where it came from, maybe i was drunk and bought it on ebay to mod but i honestly cant remember buying or recieving it.
    They are all over the used market here these days. Cheapest tube amp you can buy.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Mojo's Minions

Dean Markley
    SUNN
    Plush
    Kustom
    Acoustic
    AIMS
    Spectra
    Carlsbro
    Fenders: Quad Reverb, Super Six Reverb, Tone Master, Dual Professional, 30, 75.

Et. Al.

Things change.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

I've wanted a Sunn for years thanks to the Melvins; Kustom/Acoustic seem to be Guitar Center brands now, they make a few solid state combos that almost seem to be the exact same amp? I actually inherited a small 15 watt 8" Acoustic pack-in sort of amp my dad picked up to play in his airplane hangar, it's not anywhere near as bad as some of the other options at that price point.

I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Dang....I remember nearly ALL of these amps. I also think we have a lot of amp preference/snobbery going on here.

Marshall MG Series - generally small cheap first/practice amps: They ACTUALLY sound pretty good if the Marshal zone is what you seek in 10-30 watt amp. I also saw a KISS tribute band use an MG100 and sound pretty damned good.

LESSON 1: Use it for what it is for!
    LESSON 2: Learn how to set the knobs

Marshall Mode four: Never heard one that sounded bad - they were just god-awful big loud complicated amps. Nobody needed that much amp

LESSON 3: More is not always more. Sometimes it is just too much.

Blue Voodoo: Used by Megadeth on Countdown/Hanger. Sounds did pretty good, but not amazeballs amazing. Available reasonable prices these days. Later ones were meh, but again I'm sure they worked. Blue Tolex and orange tubes looked super cool. Gold logo was sexy.

LESSON 4: We often remember things better than they were too!

Red Voodoo: Sammy's Blue Voodoo, except it had active tone controls. That's really cool, but Sam was in a mediocre period post VH.

LESSON 5: Choose marketing carefully. Amp with Actives is badass idea. Too bad Sam was not in full-on sales badass mode.

Dime Heads: I played one of these at Dean a few years back. It was surprisingly good sounding and very flexible. Great solid state amp all the way around. I was prepared to hate, but I can't. Get one if it's cheap.

LESSON 5 (bears repeating): Choose marketing carefully. Cool reliable solid state that sounds good and is flexible is badass idea (Randall 100/200's???). Too bad Dime was was known for one ridiculous metal noize..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

[QUOTE=Boogie Bill;4367700]Dean Markley
    SUNN
    Plush
    Kustom
    Acoustic
    AIMS
    Spectra
    Carlsbro
    Fenders: Quad Reverb, Super Six Reverb, Tone Master, Dual Professional, 30, 75.

Et. Al.

Things change.

Amps I have owned that I think are forgotten!

Seymour Duncan Convertible 100
    Ampeg Lee Jackson VL 503 3 channel combo amp
    Tube Works/Mosvalve combo amp
    A Crate RFX solid state amp with digital efx!

"Marshall MG Series - generally small cheap first/practice amps: They ACTUALLY sound pretty good if the Marshal zone is what you seek in 10-30 watt amp. I also saw a KISS tribute band use an MG100 and sound pretty damned good."

I think actually sounding good and sounding good for the price are entirely different things.

MG's don't actually sound good. They did sounded great for the price perhaps 10 years ago, but these days they don't really compete with all the Mooers, Hotones etc..

I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    They did sounded great for the price perhaps 10 years ago, but these days they don't really compete with all the Mooers, Hotones etc..
    I agree with that. today basic modeling amps are just amazing. As mentioned, the Vox has some killer Marshall models.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Blue Voodoo: Used by Megadeth on Countdown/Hanger.
    Sorry Ace, but that's just not true. Marty used them live in the mid-90s, but that's all.

For 90s studio stuff...
    Rust in Peace: Bogner Triple Giant -> VHT 2150
    Countdown to Extinction: Custom Audio Electronics 3+ -> VHT 2150
    Youthanasia: Custom Audio Electronics 3+SE -> VHT 2150
    Cryptic Writings: Marshall JMP-1 -> Marshall EL-34 100/100
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Cat In The Hatministrator stevie_bees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Kid View Post

I've been looking at those Bogner Alchemist combos too in the last few days!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_bees View Post
    I've been looking at those Bogner Alchemist combos too in the last few days!
    Has anyone here heard of anyone actually using one of those? I played a few BITD and thought they sounded horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.