Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Amps

Default Re: Forgotten Amps

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    Has anyone here heard of anyone actually using one of those? I played a few BITD and thought they sounded horrible.
    What do you consider horrible to be?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    What do you consider horrible to be?

Muddy and indistinct with an EQ that didn't seem to do much. The SpiderValve you're rocking is in another (vastly superior) class entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Muddy and indistinct with an EQ that didn't seem to do much. The SpiderValve you're rocking is in another (vastly superior) class entirely.
    That's what I was wondering. Just in case I were to find one in a pawn shop.
    Was just playing my 7-string through the Spidervalve btw. Garage is cool enough now, and I wanted to hear how the new Distortion sounds.
    It's good.

Forgot all about the Dean Markley amp I used to have. Sadly I remember the cheap 5w Crate I started with more than I do the DM.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550
    Jackson Soloist 7 string

My first real amp was a SS Ross in a closed back 1x12 combo. It was a loud 80 watts.

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

I remember the Dean Markley ad. It had Bill Connor's Charvel and a hot girl in a skirt. If I recall it was a clone of a 2203/4 Marshall circuit so it should have been a good amp.

There was also the Jackson, which I think was a clone of a Laney and actually built by Laney

Carvin X amps , Tubemasters, MTS, Vintage series tube amps.
    Gone now due to the family feud with the Kiesel family but all fantastic amps. I bought the X 50B Hot Rod Mod head I have in a pawn shop in a REAL Anvil flight case for only $275 OTD. It sounds fantastic!! GREAT cleans and the crunch side is all modded Marshall at it's best. In fact i actually was going to grab a very nice JCM 900 MK III Dual Master 50 Marshall head locally but when I really sat down with it went WHY it sounds so close to my old Carvin and maybe not as good so--.
    If you see one of these amps for sale for a song do yourself a favor PLAY IT!! The right one will blow you away!!
    Playing my 1991 X 50 B yesterday at Church. Crunch side no drive pedals using touch and guitar volume to clean up at first then rolling it in only effects are a Hardwire Supernatural Reverb running in the loop absolutely nothing else!!

Last edited by Ascension; 10-14-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Cryptic Writings: Marshall JMP-1 -> Marshall EL-34 100/100
    How DARE you come in here and rekindle my GAS for a JMP-1 like that?!

I get the urge to build a JMP-1 or TriAxis rack every few years. Thankfully it never amounts to much more than browsing the internet.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post

I get the urge to build a JMP-1 or TriAxis rack every few years. Thankfully it never amounts to much more than browsing the internet.
    And mine for another one as that was what I recorded this with in the mid 90's a JMP1 9100 set up.
    https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=2684714
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

One amp surprisingly no one has mentioned here yet is the Crate Stealth designed by Lee Jackson. Saw one in a local shop last wekk for $250 and was tempted. Owned several and those are wicked amps!!
    Guitars

I had a Crate Blue DooDoo. Mine fried the PC board in the power section 3 times. After the 3rd fix, I sold it and got a Marshall. The problem with them is the power amp tubes where mounted to the PC board rather than to the chassis and tailed to the rest of the circuit. Terrible design. Sounded great when it worked, which wasn't long for me.

As for forgotten amps, what about the red knob/gray carpet Fenders? Those things weighed a ton.

I know where you're coming from and I'd love to have a small rack with a JMP-1, Rocktron Intellifex, and an old school Mesa 50/50. A quick look at prices for used JMP-1s kills that pretty quickly though. I had a chance to play through that exact setup a few times in the mid 2000s and it was literally Cryptic Writings tone in a box (rack?). That original Mesa 50/50 gets very little respect, but they still sound great and sell for a lot less than they should IMO. They're also built far sturdier than the Marshall power amps, hence my choice.
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

I know where you're coming from and I'd love to have a small rack with a JMP-1, Rocktron Intellifex, and an old school Mesa 50/50. A quick look at prices for used JMP-1s kills that pretty quickly though. I had a chance to play through that exact setup a few times in the mid 2000s and it was literally Cryptic Writings tone in a box (rack?). That original Mesa 50/50 gets very little respect, but they still sound great and sell for a lot less than they should IMO. They're also built far sturdier than the Marshall power amps, hence my choice.
    Yep, how cool would it be to have a switch and have a JMP-1, TriAxis, MP-1, maybe a Rack Chorus and TC2290....

I really like the tones on Cryptic Writings. I got that album and Countdown to Extinction when CW came out, it was my introduction to Megadeth.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Yep, how cool would it be to have a switch and have a JMP-1, TriAxis, MP-1, maybe a Rack Chorus and TC2290....
    The problem is I couldn't stop there. I'd want to add a Soldano SP-77 or X88R, and maybe a CAE 3+SE or Bogner Fish. Throw in an Eventide Eclipse and/or Lexicon PCM-80/81 and control it all with a Sound Sculpture Switchblade. Power amp would have to be a Mesa Simul 395, because holy crap nothing comes close in terms of tone. Of course it'd cost a fortune and you'd need a truck to move it, so that helps bring the whole thing back down to earth.

On a slightly less insane note, I have thought about putting a JMP-1 and Intellifex or Replifex in a 4 space rack and using my Egnater Tweaker's power section. My Voodoo-modded ADA MP-1 sounded great into the Tweaker's effects return before I sold it last year.

I really like the tones on Cryptic Writings. I got that album and Countdown to Extinction when CW came out, it was my introduction to Megadeth.
    Cryptic Writings is an awesome album with some great guitar tones, and it was my introduction to Megadeth as well. I don't remember what my second album was, but I've always considered Countdown a bit overrated. As far as 90s Megadeth goes, I'd much rather listen to CW or Youthanasia.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Damn!

This thread reminded me that I forgot my VH2S rackmount proto amp at a tube guru's, around 2010-ish?

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar

I have played a few Bedrock amps and they all sound great. I know they're not made anymore.

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar

I owned a mode four head for a bit.

It's a cool amp that's actually 2 amps in one.
    The cooling fan and heat sync in them were not nearly as well thought out as they should have been and thus, they overheat and blow chips very easily. They are finicky about what you out through the effects loop, can't just plug things in and out without letting chips reset and cool down.

I sold mine off right away.
    But having said all that, the MF350 are flat amazing sounding amps.... At least to my ears. I really really liked it. I kind of miss it.

You can pick up those MA50 amps for like 300 bucks these days, I haven't played one yet. I've heard they sound like a cheap Marshall.
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 10-21-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by 80's_Metal View Post
    You can pick up those MA50 amps for like 300 bucks these days, I haven't played one yet. I've heard they sound like a cheap Marshall.
    The MA's aren't awful, I'd argue that they're good enough for home and even some level of gig use. I could get usable tones of the ones I tried, but I'm much more of a Mesa guy at heart.

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar

That's good to know, I bet I could wrangle some decent tones out of one too. Match it with a good cabinet and run enough gain through it, a guy could almost make a line 6 sound good ha ha.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I kinda dug the old Sovtek heads when they came out in the late 80s or early 90s. They weren't too bad out of the box and a couple mods could make them pretty impressive.