Thread: What's the proper way to split humbuckers? Screw or slug coils?

Default What's the proper way to split humbuckers? Screw or slug coils?

The entire question is pretty much in the title. Is it standard practice to split humbuckers to the inside or outside coils?

Default Re: What's the proper way to split humbuckers? Screw or slug coils?

Ive wondered this as well. My guess is you would split in such a way as to be using the screw side so you could adjust them? Not sure though so looking forward to others replies!

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

The most common way listed by Duncan is slugs. However, you can do whatever you want to get slightly different sounds. The screws sound slightly more complex. And also the distance from the bridge affects things. The easiest thing to do is split to the neck screw and bridge slug. That way middle position is hum cancelling without adjusting the mags and wiring. And you get a more complex neck tone and a less harsh bridge tone.
    That when I tell you that I love you
    You're gonna say you love me too

Tone Member

Clint 55 is right the way every diagram seems to be is red/white (seymour duncan) for slug coils. Both do sound different so see what you like more. Personally I like the screw coil more myself. But all my guitars have both options as well as parallel across both pickups. One sounds more like a P90, one sounds like our typical single coil.

This is for reference of how to split to either coil. To get hum cancellation you'd want to mix and match both coils like Clint55 suggested. I just drew something similar out for another forum post on here and it's how I achieved the setting.
    Name:  coil_splitting.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  45.2 KB

I agree that they sound pretty different, so it is worth it to experiment with splitting to either coil. Triple Shots make this easy, too. Things get a little more complex if you want to split it in conjunction with another split pickup and want it to remain humbucking, though.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    The most common way listed by Duncan is slugs. However, you can do whatever you want to get slightly different sounds. The screws sound slightly more complex. And also the distance from the bridge affects things. The easiest thing to do is split to the neck screw and bridge slug. That way middle position is hum cancelling without adjusting the mags and wiring. And you get a more complex neck tone and a less harsh bridge tone.
    This is how I wire my guitars, but I find shadowfire90's bottom diagram a bit complicated. The easier way to split to the screw coil is to connect the red/white pair to the output instead of ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Standard practice is to split to the slug coil, which tends to have a slightly higher output than the screw coil. But it's not too odd to split to the screw coil, as a slight mod to the standard way. I like splitting to the screw coil, because it has better string to string volume balance (due to the adjustable poles).
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    This is how I wire my guitars, but I find shadowfire90's bottom diagram a bit complicated. The easier way to split to the screw coil is to connect the red/white pair to the output instead of ground.
    Neither way is any "easier" than the other or more complicated. In those respects they are exactly the same. They are just two different ways to wire a switch to get exactly the same results.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

The bridge slug coil is almost twice as far from the bridge as the screw coil, which gives it a little more string energy, output and warmth when split. With the PAF PU's I prefer, splitting the bridge to the screw coil isn't particularly appealing.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Ultimate Tone Member audiocheck's Avatar

My philosophy on splitting at this point is this:

1: Bridge position single coils are way too thin, so leave as a humbucker. How many Strat or Tele player use their bridge by itself?

2: If you are going to split a Humbucker, it's not going to sound like a Single Coil. If you want true single coil tone, use the StagMag or P-Rail. Otherwise it's really just a drop in volume and cleanliness that you will get.

So as stated by mechanic1908, it's best to split to the neck side of the Humbucker. If you prefer the tone of the screw coil, flip the bridge pickup around.

I don't mind splittling to the screw side of the bridge humbucker if it is conjunction with a neck screw coil. They can also be humbucking if it is wired properly.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

I like screw coil because you can tweak the screws to make adjustments to the split sound. With a little fooling around you can get it much closer to a regular single coil than the slug ever will be.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Actually, spin-a-split is far more versatile, it makes coil split obsolete.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by audiocheck View Post
    1: Bridge position single coils are way too thin, so leave as a humbucker. How many Strat or Tele player use their bridge by itself?
    A metric ton of players. Especially Tele. Me personally, I love a Tele bridge pickup. That’s how Teles were originally designed (no neck pickup). As far as a Strat, not so much for me. But I do like to split a bridge humbucker when I play into a Big Muff. Also, in some cases, it can sound Tele-like.
    Last edited by Chad; 10-15-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Toneologist

As others have said, slug coil for bridge to give a bit more oomph. And screw coil for neck. That way is closer to the neck position of a Strat pickup. Also, if wired correctly the combined position is hum cancelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    As others have said, slug coil for bridge to give a bit more oomph. And screw coil for neck. That way is closer to the neck position of a Strat pickup. Also, if wired correctly the combined position is hum cancelling.
    This. And here is the diagram I used in my Explorer.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.