Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

  1. #1
    Super Toneologist IMENATOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mexico D.F.
    Posts
    1,379

    Default I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    We have all been there, cans and bottles on top of your amp, people walking by who can drop them, but yesterday the guitar player from the other band in this party gig decided to sit on my cab and use it both as a chair and table for his drink, WTF? We were playing in that moment so there Is no chance to argue with a drunk guy.

    Next time I am buying an amp stand for my 1x12, no way they can sit or put anything on top, right? Bonus: In theory the amp will be heard better.


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Who took my guitar?

  2. #2
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,658

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    Quote Originally Posted by IMENATOR View Post
    Bonus: In theory the amp will be heard better.
    It almost certainly will be. I downsized from 100W + 4x12 to 100W + 2x12, and now I'm using 20W + 1x12 on a stand. The total stage volume is far lower and I can hear myself as well or better than I could with the 4x12.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  3. #3
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    22,624

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    Quote Originally Posted by IMENATOR View Post
    We have all been there, cans and bottles on top of your amp, people walking by who can drop them, but yesterday the guitar player from the other band in this party gig decided to sit on my cab and use it both as a chair and table for his drink, WTF? We were playing in that moment so there Is no chance to argue with a drunk guy.

    Next time I am buying an amp stand for my 1x12, no way they can sit or put anything on top, right? Bonus: In theory the amp will be heard better.


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    I think this is worth turning around while playing and screaming 'Please kindly sir, remove yourself and your swill from my amplification device' or something else slightly harsher.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  4. #4
    Our Neighbor Totoro FuseG4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Age
    32
    Posts
    6,815

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    My Princeton's "amp stand" was somewhat expensive but it has other uses and I like still using my amp as a shelf. Even if for just one or two things!
    But I've contemplated an amp stand many times! I don't gig, just me in my garage.
    Not much drinking goin on in vicinity of my amp.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  5. #5
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    4,002

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    I love tilted amp stands on stage -it makes me less reliant on the monitor mix AND I'm not scorching the front rows ear drums with the speaker at stage floorboard level.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  6. #6
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    22,624

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    I use one of these Ultimate amp stands, usually in front of me (like a monitor) or on the side of the stage facing across. No guitar in the monitor for me, ever.

    Name:  61p58ErlmqL._SY550_.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  11.2 KB
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  7. #7
    SDUGF Riffologist Supremö B2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16,952

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    Get one of these... gets more attention and you can't put ANYTHING on top of it.


  8. #8
    Ultimate Tone Slacker NoOnesFang13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,791

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    I use a sound enhancer. https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Enhance...ustomerReviews though i bought it from their website in 2013, its great if you have an open back cab and really makes the amps ive use it with sound larger than they are

    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

  9. #9
    Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    1,898

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    I wish I could use something tilted, but I love the sound of my Mesa head. My workaround was to disconnect the bottom two speakers in a slant 4x12 cab. Baffles some of the "less gifted" sound men and I have to repeatedly explain why they can't mic the bottom speakers like they do for everyone else.

  10. #10
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    5,912

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I think this is worth turning around while playing and screaming 'Please kindly sir, remove yourself and your swill from my amplification device' or something else slightly harsher.
    Agreed. I’m of the mindset that if someone is ignorant enough to act on a certain behavior or say something ignorant, they better be ready and able to hear me get ignorant right back.

  11. #11
    LoveMachineologist jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    albany, ny
    Age
    42
    Posts
    29,670

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I use one of these Ultimate amp stands, usually in front of me (like a monitor) or on the side of the stage facing across. No guitar in the monitor for me, ever.

    Name:  61p58ErlmqL._SY550_.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  11.2 KB
    i have that same stand, although i put it behind me rather than in front but i like it. super easy and folds small so its easy to travel with. i dont use the mic stand capability all that often but i do have a long goose neck that works perfectly on it

  12. #12
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    110

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    I use an On-Stage RS7000 with my Hot Rod Deluxe.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222B4CAF-D36A-418B-828C-7DBBA60280E8.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	101504

  13. #13
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,658

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    Quote Originally Posted by TMD View Post
    I use an On-Stage RS7000 with my Hot Rod Deluxe.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222B4CAF-D36A-418B-828C-7DBBA60280E8.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	101504
    longcat and I have these as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  14. #14
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    22,624

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    i have that same stand, although i put it behind me rather than in front but i like it. super easy and folds small so its easy to travel with. i dont use the mic stand capability all that often but i do have a long goose neck that works perfectly on it
    I don't use the mic stand part...well, ever..my amp has an XLR direct out. But this stand folds up so small that I can store it in the back of the amp!
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  15. #15
    Super Toneologist IMENATOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mexico D.F.
    Posts
    1,379

    Default Re: I am buying an amp stand, my cab is not a table nor a chair

    Quote Originally Posted by TMD View Post
    I use an On-Stage RS7000 with my Hot Rod Deluxe.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222B4CAF-D36A-418B-828C-7DBBA60280E8.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	101504
    Good to know, I use the Hot Rod Deluxe extension cab.
    Who took my guitar?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •