Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A year ago today...

tonewood instigator

Default A year ago today...

I got put on the King Of Tone waitlist.

10 months left...
    Once I had myself a million, now I've only got a dime.
    Difference don't seem quite as bad today.
    With a nickel or a million I was searchin' all the time
    For something that I never lost or left behind.

Default Re: A year ago today...

Good luck! By the time I got mine I had changed most of my pedalboard so I no longer needed it. Hope it works for you

There is no pedal on any planet that is worth waiting that long for, IMO. That's just crazy.

you can wait or pay more. i waited. very cool pedal

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    There is no pedal on any planet that is worth waiting that long for, IMO. That's just crazy.
    The wait hasn't been all that bad. It's not like I'm up all night tearing my hair out because I don't have one. Every now and then I'll think about it, check to see which orders are being fulfilled at the current date, and then forget about it.

But it's kind of funny thinking about it, in a little over half a year I'll be getting an email telling me that I have the priviledge to buy my pedal from them.

It’s a great pedal.

However I hope you meant two years ago today as they are shipping to February 2017 today.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    The wait hasn't been all that bad. It's not like I'm up all night tearing my hair out because I don't have one. Every now and then I'll think about it, check to see which orders are being fulfilled at the current date, and then forget about it.

But it's kind of funny thinking about it, in a little over half a year I'll be getting an email telling me that I have the priviledge to buy my pedal from them.
    That's cool you're on the list. What I meant by what I said is I don't see where any pedal is worth waiting that long for. That's me though. I'm happy with a $99 Boss OD-3, and I didn't even pay that much because I found one used at a killer price.

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    It’s a great pedal.

However I hope you meant two years ago today as they are shipping to February 2017 today.
    I was simultaneously really tired and really excited when I first posted this. I put myself on the waitlist once March 3rd 2018, and again October 13th 2018. So my first one is coming in a year, my second one in a year and a half.

Guitarshop I go to just around the corner from the house got one in new. Was just added go their Reverb page.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550
    Jackson Soloist 7 string

Ultimate Tone Slacker

King of Tone is terrific. I've only played a model of it (recent addition to Helix). Unexpectedly, I like to use it front of high gainers (PRS Archon lead & the new Revv Generator 120 Red channel models). Settings I've been using, it adds a midrange bite, without sounding harsh. I've hardly scratched the surface on it. Great combo of gains. And it stacks well with others, too... And of course it's great in front of low to mid-gainers.

If I ever went back to a tube rig and pedals, KoT would be on my short list. That's a heck of a demand for them, for them to have years of orders they are working through.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    I would agree, except that you don't put any money down, and this is probably the one instance in which waiting isn't off-putting. But I think the same thing whenever people talk about putting down thousands of dollars on a custom guitar that takes close to a year (or more) to get.

Also, I'm about a year and a half out

tonewood instigator

Does anyone have any experience with the mods? I know he offers a few "standard" mods (I'm definitely doing the 4 jack and red side extra gain mod), but does anyone know if I can request bass controls on both sides for example?

ive never seen bass controls on a kot. have you? the only mods i know of are listed on his page. outside of those, i think you have a snowballs chance in hell of getting it from them. im sure it could be done, but probably not from them

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the mods? I know he offers a few "standard" mods (I'm definitely doing the 4 jack and red side extra gain mod), but does anyone know if I can request bass controls on both sides for example?
    I'm really tempted by the loop for adding pedals between the two sides, but I think I'm just getting the extra gain.

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    I'm really tempted by the loop for adding pedals between the two sides, but I think I'm just getting the extra gain.
    I'm debating between putting the extra gain on just the red or both sides. Putting it on both sides will certainly add to the utility, but having one side higher gain than the other just seems "right".

And Jeremy, I emailed Mike today about whether or not it would be possible to get a few caps or resistors switched out to tune one side more towards higher gain settings. I would do it myself, but part of the fun of a KoT is basking in the ridiculous resale value, not that I plan on selling it.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

KoT already has internal DIP switches for setting clean/OD and dist on/off. the clean/OD setting apparently influences distortion clarity, too. Pair of those for each side. I endlessly fiddle with the different modes in the Helix model of it. Apparently they'll only put those external on the red side, for a $50 upcharge. http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm#options

Higher Gain option is $10 upcharge per side, according to their website. Way I've been using the Helix version is with 2nd channel higher gain, in OD. So that's probably what I'd do ordering the real thing.

I love a lot of Gilmour-style gain stacking. I could see a lot of value in being able to go boost->muff->OD or reverse order. But then there's things like treble boost or fuzz face that are best as first in chain anyways... I don't know whether I'd go with the extra complexity of an effects loop in my dual drive pedal. But then, they modelled it split in half as well, so the option is there. I guess it depends on what sort of gain stacking appeals to you, or if you have effects that need gain recovery, and want a minimal footprint pedalboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    I love a lot of Gilmour-style gain stacking. I could see a lot of value in being able to go boost->muff->OD or reverse order. But then there's things like treble boost or fuzz face that are best as first in chain anyways... I don't know whether I'd go with the extra complexity of an effects loop in my dual drive pedal. But then, they modelled it split in half as well, so the option is there. I guess it depends on what sort of gain stacking appeals to you, or if you have effects that need gain recovery, and want a minimal footprint pedalboard.
    Adding another option for gain stacking is extremely appealing to me, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to spend $325 on a pedal. I suppose if I'm already spending $275...

the internal switches make big differences in how the channel sounds and reacts. i loved the "clean" setting but there was so much volume boost to get the gain i wanted it wasnt really practical with my setup. the od and distortion settings are great too. my buddy that has my old kot uses the od setting on both channels. other friend uses distortion on one and od on the other. lots of options and they all sound good

tonewood instigator

I got a response back and he essentially said "We could offer options like that, but it would make the waiting list a lot longer than it is now."

So I guess my only options to make the two sides different is to get high gain on the red side and adjust the presence trim pots differently.

tonewood instigator

Does anyone know what the deal with the custom colors is? I hear a few people saying that you can only order them when he says you can, but that's only a handful of people on dated posts.