Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is It A Bad Idea To Mix Low Output Neck PAF's And High Gain Bridge Pickup

Default Re: Is It A Bad Idea To Mix Low Output Neck PAF's And High Gain Bridge Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfire90 View Post
    Not at all a bad idea. You'd be surprised the amount of sounds you'll get out of one guitar. Check out just about any Epiphone with the hotch/57 set which is an easy one to try through an amp at a guitar shop. Most Ibanez guitars tend to have it that way too. But bigger pickup brands the JB/59 set is quite common in guitars for instance. There are even guitars with two bridge pickups in it. One instance of this Seymour Duncan sells the distortion mayhem set. The biggest example of pro players I can think of is Michael Romeo of Symphony X who is a guitar shredder with a Dimarzio X2N and Tone zone combination.

One of the weirder ones is Eddie Van Halen uses a low output bridge pickup and hotter neck pickup. I thought my peavey was wired backwards but I got a screw driver out and it sure enough was like that.

Alright so what do you do if the bridge pickup is too loud
    or just lower the bridge pickups height to balance things out
    If the pickup is too hot use a small valued capacitor as a filter

At the end of the day it's what works for you. I wouldn't see myself with two of the same pickups any time soon.
    Not sure about the newer EVH stuff, but on the Peaveys the neck humbucker had a thinner gauge of wire so that resistance read higher, but it wasn't really a higher output than the bridge. That's what I read on a Dimarzio blurb with Steve Blucher at least.
    "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar

Default Re: Is It A Bad Idea To Mix Low Output Neck PAF's And High Gain Bridge Pickup

Even the lowest output neck pickups have a tendency to overpower bridge pickups due to physics of their position.

Quote Originally Posted by idsnowdog View Post
    Even the lowest output neck pickups have a tendency to overpower bridge pickups due to physics of their position.
    Thus the tendency to pair a high output bridge with a less powerful neck.
    Though I have heard of using the same pickups in both positions.
    I once put two Deathbuckers in an Explorer and it worked fine.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Two EMG 81s, two PAFs, 3 SSL-1s, a JB/Jazz, Dimebucker/‘59... somehow they all work.