Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A custom 5 based trembucker.

Default Re: A custom 5 based trembucker.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    i would put an a5 magnet in the custom/jb
    100% agree with this...I bet it's exactly what you're seeking!

Quote Originally Posted by Micha View Post
    Possible.... But I live in France.... And here... It's not so easy as you suppose.
    You can order materials from the UK correct?
    there's many online avenues for purchasing magnets

I know it can be difficult. But with the advent of ebay and such, I don't think finding a magnet should be that difficult.
    Playing:
    Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
    Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
    Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
    Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Ultimate Tone Slacker

JB/Custom with A5 is not as scooped as the Custom from what I've heard. But the magnet swap is absolutely worth a try. It might work and save you having to try other pickups. Magnet swaps are pretty easy to do, though if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, you'd have to find a tech who can do it, is affordable, and nearby. Getting the magnet might require an international order, I don't know about pickup parts availability in France. But a tech might have inexpensive spares, too. A5 is one of the most common humbucker magnets.

If magnet swap doesn't do it, the PATB-1b sounds a lot like a bigger, sweeter Custom 5. Less aggressive attack, except when you dig in with the pick. Singing harmonics, but not screaming upper mids like a JB. More sustain, both from volume and lower string pull. Amazingly interactive with your pick attack. Very sensitive to height adjustment, may take a bit of tweaking with a screwdriver to get it to sound/feel right for you.

If you want a more conventional pickup look & construction, a '59/Custom might be closer to your tastes. Scoop isn't quite same as Custom, nor the bass, but it does have extended harmonics from the mixed coils.

Tone Member

more fluety sound, more fluidity and harmonics...

It sounds like what you’re asking for is a less pronounced attack, a notched midrange, and a presence like high end. They don’t necessarily contradict one another. I honestly think that this is something you can develop with your playing technique. I try to start off with a brighter stronger tone off the guitar because I’m able to mellow it out with technique and use of the guitar controls.

The Custom 5 is a good pickup as is. Ironically my Pegasus does the stuff you want as a default, which bugged me a bit until I swapped the magnet and screws. I would have gotten the Custom 5 instead except it’s a little too vintage vibed for what I want.

Tone Member

I forgot I got an old Saraceno PATB at home....
    So it's not a problem to get a a5 magnet.

So I'm curious. Combined with an custom coil, wich Other coil could do the job to get what I want?
    What about the distortion coil?

So I'm curious. Combined with an custom coil, wich Other coil could do the job to get what I want?
    Wouldn't be that different than the JB.
    Now a Jazz Bridge coil paired with a Custom coil...

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Wouldn't be that different than the JB.
    Now a Jazz Bridge coil paired with a Custom coil...

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    that's a combination I haven't ever tried before. I'll find a jazzB and give it a go, thanks!

Full disclosure: I was the one who recommended a jb/custom hybrid. The Jb has a fluidity to the tone, the feel, that's unmatched but also has some issues with the sharpness in the highs. The custom has the beef but can be a bit stiff. By hybridizing, you get best of both worlds without the drawbacks of each. Best to think of the Jb/custom hybrid as a Seymour Duncan version of the Dimarzio EVO. The EVO also has a 44 awg coil + 43 awg coil but with each coil slightly underwound versus the fullblown JB and custom what makes the EVO such a screamer. plus, a ceramic mag instead of an alnico5.

I am surprised MJ Didn't really make you a jb/custom5 hybrid because the DCR just doesn't add up. Literally.

Using heavy formvar over the standard poly (if I recall correctly) for the JB coil, you get even more highs but also a bit more openness in the tone if you will because it induces a bit less than with poly.

About the alnico 8: if that's too warm, drop in an Alnico 5. You can get those in Europe very easily: www.axesrus.co.uk. Those guys sell them for very little money. I ordered parts again this monday, got it in yesterday! Very fast, great guys to work with (and EPIC pickups, but who am I to judge).

Swapping mags is the easiest way to try new tones but I can totally imagine you wouldn't wanna mess with a Seymour Duncan customshop pickup you paid full retail for!

Mojo's Minions

Distortion coil, black winter coil, invader coil: it's all the same gest versus a JB. They're all very, very similar, slight differences.

custom5 with:

Distortion: a bit hotter, bit more grind and fizzy top end.
    Black winter coil: also a bit hotter but with a bit more smoothness in the top end than a distortion: very much like a JB but with a slightly smoother upper mid range than a JB.
    Invader: akin to Black Winter, but with much more 'girth' in the lower mids due to the huge polepieces.

What polepieces does your current pickup have? I have had great results with hex polepieces in the custom coil and screw polepieces in the JB coil. A bit more open, easier to dial in the high end and overall more brightness but not sharpness (which the JB is known for).

Tone Member

I have an alnico 5 magnet at home (my patb-3 und my custom 5)....si I will change the mag for sure. It's easy to make.

Tone Member

Hey guys... Look what I've found in the box of my customshop trembucker...
    Pickup with a8 installed and a2 + a5 for Mag swap at later stage.
    I get all what I need

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191017_131222.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	101488
    Last edited by Micha; 10-17-2019 at 05:39 AM.

Mojo's Minions

Hey guys... Look what I've found in the box of my customshop trembucker...
    Pickup with a8 installed and a2 + a5 for Mag swap at later stage.
    I get all what I need

Name:	IMG_20191017_131222.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	101488
    that actually looks to be perfect. 15.55K. exactly what it's supposed to be. OH and it's the fullshed coil, not custom 5! Even better imho <3 if that A5 doesn't do the trick I don't know what will. Would love to see pics of the full guitar and of the pickup itself.

Tone Member

That full shred coil is a custom coil but with hex poles. You just slide the Alnico 5 in and it’s virtually what you want. Even better, you can move the screws around so you can have the slotted fillisters under the strings you want warmer and the hex screws under the strings you want brighter and less bass. There’s a lot of experimentation that can be done here. I was too focused on the Custom 5 to see that you already have what you need with the JB/fullshred with an a5.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtomecha View Post
    That full shred coil is a custom coil but with hex poles. You just slide the Alnico 5 in and it’s virtually what you want. Even better, you can move the screws around so you can have the slotted fillisters under the strings you want warmer and the hex screws under the strings you want brighter and less bass. There’s a lot of experimentation that can be done here. I was too focused on the Custom 5 to see that you already have what you need with the JB/fullshred with an a5.
    not true. The FS has a slightly different wind than a custom. Or so MJ told me on several occasions.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by orpheo View Post
    that actually looks to be perfect. 15.55K. exactly what it's supposed to be. OH and it's the fullshed coil, not custom 5! Even better imho <3 if that A5 doesn't do the trick I don't know what will. Would love to see pics of the full guitar and of the pickup itself.
    For sure you will see this guitar.... After 4 years of waiting ^^

I will make before/after mag swap videos it's possible..
    I thinks this pickup should be interesting.

This trembucker was the second custom shop i've made make.
    The first one was supposed to be the same but a mistake was happen (humbucker spacing in place of trembucker spacing).... Look at the pics:

Name:	custom 5 plus.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	101493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	custom 5 plus cover.jpg 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	101494

With this pickup (custom 5 plus) I sell to my friend, and mounted on a esp eclipse, the sound was good but really fat. The highs are great, sweet and warm but in ensemble, to round and not directive enough, or sharp enough. I suppose because of alnico 8 magnet.
    I get the picture of the humbucker later, but for sure he doesn't have hex screws like the full shred.... I supposed custom 5 coil.
    What I wondering is de DC resistance of 13.2 when my "micha jb/fullshred hybrid" trembucker has 15.5.

Mj says it's because of the number of wiring difference between humbucker and trembucker. (term-space needs more wire)

Name:	left trembucker without 4conductor-right regular humbucker.JPG 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	101495
    Last edited by Micha; 10-17-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Mojo's Minions

For sure you will see this guitar.... After 4 years of waiting ^^

I will make before/after mag swap videos it's possible..
    I thinks this pickup should be interesting.

This trembucker was the second custom shop i've made make.
    The first one was supposed to be the same but a mistake was happen (humbucker spacing in place of trembucker spacing).... Look at the pics:

Name:	custom 5 plus.jpg 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	101493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	custom 5 plus cover.jpg 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	101494

With this pickup (custom 5 plus) I sell to my friend, and mounted on a esp eclipse, the sound was good but really fat. The highs are great, sweet and warm but in ensemble, to round and not directive enough, or sharp enough. I suppose because of alnico 8 magnet.
    I get the picture of the humbucker later, but for sure he doesn't have hex screws like the full shred.... I supposed custom 5 coil.
    What I wondering is de DC resistance of 13.2 when my "micha jb/fullshred hybrid" trembucker has 15.5.

Mj says it's because of the number of wiring difference between humbucker and trembucker. (term-space needs more wire)

Name:	left trembucker without 4conductor-right regular humbucker.JPG 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	101495
    the pickup you sent a pic of, the custom 5 plus, is a TB for sure my man. Look at the baseplate: that's TB only. The rounded corners, the 3 hole baseplate leg. That's a TB for sure. a regular HB coil won't fit this baseplate. I tried... won't work.

I guess MJ just messed this order up for some reason or another (we're all just fallible humans, right?). I guess this is pickup is absolutely not a jb/FS or jb/custom hybrid. The DC resistances don't add up.

This pickup might actually sound really good with an alnico V mag instead of A8.

Tone Member

the pickup you sent a pic of, the custom 5 plus, is a TB for sure my man. Look at the baseplate: that's TB only. The rounded corners, the 3 hole baseplate leg. That's a TB for sure. a regular HB coil won't fit this baseplate. I tried... won't work.

I guess MJ just messed this order up for some reason or another (we're all just fallible humans, right?). I guess this is pickup is absolutely not a jb/FS or jb/custom hybrid. The DC resistances don't add up.

This pickup might actually sound really good with an alnico V mag instead of A8.

I do know anything about baseplate etc...but I promise you, it's not a trembucker. Look at this pics with this custom 5 plus mounted on the esp.

Name:	IMG-20191018-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	101507

Mojo's Minions

I do know anything about baseplate etc...but I promise you, it's not a trembucker. Look at this pics with this custom 5 plus mounted on the esp.

Name:	IMG-20191018-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	101507
    judging from the pic you posted: it is a trembucker.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/t...vs-trembuckers

compare the baseplates. They really, really are not the same and the coils are REALLY not the same. Because the pole pieces of the pickup you posted go through the baseplate perfectly: it IS a trembucker.

Guys, help me out here.

Mojo's Minions

if it were a regular HB coil on a TB baseplate, the polepieces wouldn't even line up with the holes in the baseplate, let alone the screws.

judging from the pic you posted: it is a trembucker.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/t...vs-trembuckers

compare the baseplates. They really, really are not the same and the coils are REALLY not the same. Because the pole pieces of the pickup you posted go through the baseplate perfectly: it IS a trembucker.

Guys, help me out here.
    I think the first thing we need to figure out is if the ESP bridge is spaced the same as a Gibson TOM. The 50mm (standard) spacing is a Gibson thing. That doesn’t necessarily mean the ESP is spaced the same just because it is a similar bridge design.....right?

Tone Member

Anyway