Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very angry about the Seymour Duncan and JMI

Tone Member

Default Very angry about the Seymour Duncan and JMI

I'm very angry
    I am looking for ways and since days to join the Custom Shop to order a pickup ... except that it is specified that they do not deliver in Europe.
    So, knowing that JMI music does, I decided to go through them .... But their answer after days is "I prefer that you go through the Custom Shop"?

What is the message? Buy dimarzio, right?
    Seymour duncan don't want to sell pickups?
    Ist that your way of treating customers?!?!
    It's incredible!!!

Obviously everything is done to exclude European customers ... Voluntary or not.

So I'm entitled to wonder what it's like
    Last edited by Micha; 10-18-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Default Re: Very angry about the Seymour Duncan and JMI

try a UK winder.
    bareknuckle maybe?
    I understand it's frustrating, but I get it. Maybe local Seymour dealer can help you.
    Playing:
    Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
    Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
    Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
    Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

For those types of orders, you need to go through a local authorized dealer in your country. A local dealer should be able to request a custom shop order for you. That's the company's policy, I believe.

JMI Music is located in the U.S.A., Fort Worth, TX to be exact, and they may have assumed you are in the U.S.A. as well.
    Last edited by ErikH; 10-21-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Tone Member

Try emailing the custom shop directly and see if they will help you out. How many couriers and options there are there's no reason why you shouldn't get your order. However the couriers in North America going from America to Canada such as DHL, UPS, Fedex and so forth. Even if I got a pack of bubble gum I can see Fedex for instance now .... oh ... yeah .... umm ... let me spin the rip off wheel to see how much we're going to gouge your pockets. That'll be 50$ import and duty fees.

France I never had an issue with when I used to sell on ebay. Oddly enough my first ever ebay sale went to Paris. Really nice guy and it's one of the few times my French classes in school came in handy as I wrote happy birthday on the parcel hoping he wouldn't pay import taxes. This was a long time ago and the funny thing is it worked as I put close to the sales value.

Italy has the worst reputation for shipping to in Europe. Aside from that usually there's no issues at least I've had. I had 1000s of stars on ebay. The only European country I ever had issues with was Spain as a parcel got stolen and Malta takes forever. Back to Italy. It's one of the more difficult places to ship to as stuff gets stolen there a lot. The only way my brother would ship there is with the expensive practically over night shipping. For anyone starting off selling online I say avoid Italy, Mexico, Russia and South America. The first 50 or so orders to at least build a reputation do everything tracked.

Hope you get your order
    Last edited by shadowfire90; 10-18-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike Blues View Post
    try a UK winder.
    bareknuckle maybe?

You have a link?
    It exist so much sites when I tip bareknuckle into Google....

But thanks a lot

if you want a custom shop pup in the eu right now you have to go through a local dealer. here is a list of french authorized dealers

https://www.seymourduncan.com/dealer...country=France

Yeah, you're getting upset about nothing.

You have to use their European dealer network.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    if you want a custom shop pup in the eu right now you have to go through a local dealer. here is a list of french authorized dealers

https://www.seymourduncan.com/dealer...country=France
    I do not get busy/angry for nothing.
    Seymour Duncan and JMI have been sending me to each other for days but never, but really never a solution.
    I just had to get on my nerves so someone would deign to give me an concret answer.
    The worst is JMI music that lets me write mail after mail leaving me in doubt to finally say "ask the custom shop"

So I can go **** myself.
    Weird definition of professionalism.

Yeah it sucks. Institutions can be obstinate. Talk to your French shop on the phone and they'll get you what you want. Email kind of doesn't work.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 10-18-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    That when I tell you that I love you
    You're gonna say you love me too

I am sorry you are dealing with this. A dealer network should be the correct go-between the company and the customer. I am sorry the dealer is letting you down here- I think SD is pretty clear about how they deal with European customers. They have 7 different places you can contact in your region.

I'd certainly think calling is a better idea than email. Go with another dealer who understands how the dealer/Custom Shop agreement works.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Toneologist
    I don't know: the Earth doesn't stop to turn on itself...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike Blues View Post
    try a UK winder.
    bareknuckle maybe?
    I understand it's frustrating, but I get it. Maybe local Seymour dealer can help you.
    For the record, I’m not far from where Micha lives and it has never been an issue for me to order in USA: I’ve got pickups and parts from CA but also from Phoenix, Detroit, Tucson, Camano Island, Battle Ground – Washington etc. without any issue. Receiving various pickups directly from Australia hasn’t been difficult either. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I am sorry you are dealing with this. A dealer network should be the correct go-between the company and the customer. I am sorry the dealer is letting you down here- I think SD is pretty clear about how they deal with European customers. They have 7 different places you can contact in your region.
    I’m not angry personally and what I’ll write below is not at all a protestation but… is it so clear?

Years ago, I’ve emailed once to MJ @ the Duncan custom shop. If memory serves me, she replied late and evasively then didn’t reply no more.

I’ve attributed that to her overbooked planning and I’ve not insisted (never insist with a lady that you respect; LOL).

But I don't remember any reply or reading about the reasons why the discussion had stopped nor about how to do if I wanted to order from Europe.

It had led me to order to another (American) custom shop instead : it worked without any problem.

And the Duncan Custom Shop pickups that I’ve here have been obtained in other ways (as second hand purchases, in my case).

But I’d have appreciated the luxury to order directly what I wanted.

I'd certainly think calling is a better idea than email. Go with another dealer who understands how the dealer/Custom Shop agreement works.
    International phone calls are not that easy: different time zones + bad sound with delay + local oral accents clouding mutual understanding= slow and uncertain communication. Furthermore, a phone call leaves no trace of an official order.

FWIW (honest and peaceful testimonial).
    Last edited by freefrog; 10-19-2019 at 01:03 AM.
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by freefrog View Post
    For the record, I’m not far from where Micha lives and it has never been an issue for me to order in USA: I’ve got pickups and parts from CA but also from Phoenix, Detroit, Tucson, Camano Island, Battle Ground – Washington etc. without any issue. Receiving various pickups directly from Australia hasn’t been difficult either. :-)

I’m not angry personally and what I’ll write below is not at all a protestation but… is it so clear?

Years ago, I’ve emailed once to MJ @ the Duncan custom shop. If memory serves me, she replied late and evasively then didn’t reply no more.

I’ve attributed that to her overbooked planning and I’ve not insisted (never insist with a lady that you respect; LOL).

But I don't remember any reply or reading about the reasons why the discussion had stopped nor about how to do if I wanted to order from Europe.

It had led me to order to another (American) custom shop instead : it worked without any problem.

And the Duncan Custom Shop pickups that I’ve here have been obtained in other ways (as second hand purchases, in my case).

But I’d have appreciated the luxury to order directly what I wanted.

International phone calls are not that easy: different time zones + bad sound with delay + local oral accents clouding mutual understanding= slow and uncertain communication. Furthermore, a phone call leaves no trace of an official order.

FWIW (honest and peaceful testimonial).
    Email Discussion that stop without any reason, I know that
    ... That's happen too.

+1000

Super Toneologist

Name:  Screenshot_20191019-172416.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  29.7 KB

I couldnt copy paste the link, browser issues, so heres a screenshot. Their pickups are of good quality & they ship worldwide or so, plus its in UK so should be easier to get hold of their custom shop.

Tone Member

I've found a German dealer.
    I speak very good German. (French German double nationality) and I will order through them.

But the problem I saw the last few days aren't normal.... Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank- View Post
    Name:  Screenshot_20191019-172416.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  29.7 KB

I couldnt copy paste the link, browser issues, so heres a screenshot. Their pickups are of good quality & they ship worldwide or so, plus its in UK so should be easier to get hold of their custom shop.
    +1
    Bare Knuckle are some of the best pickups on the market.

Ive also bought several sets from a Russian pickup maker. Ilya Fokin....I love his pickups!!

Fokinpickups.com

Use the google translator function because his website is in Russian. I have emailed with him multiple times in English and he speaks English well enough to help you get what you are looking for. And his prices are great.

Seriously all you needed to do was to contact the vendor closest to you and they should be able to help. It's simple as that, no need to lose your head about it.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

No, I understand the frustration. In any business, the worst thing is when there is no communication. I understand why anyone would be upset here, but it isn't a normal situation. Things get more complex when there is a chain of people it has to go through. I hope another dealer can help you out.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Things get more complex when there is a chain of people it has to go through. I hope another dealer can help you out.
    Exactly and that's why I wanted to go directly with the custom shop people... To get informations, advices, do me to know what suits the best.

What should I order if no one tells me what I need to get this or another sound?

I'd say the forum is the best resource for figuring out the spex you want. I wasn't able to communicate in very much detail when I called the custom shop.
    That when I tell you that I love you
    You're gonna say you love me too