Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very angry about the Seymour Duncan and JMI

Mojo's Minions

Default Re: Very angry about the Seymour Duncan and JMI

I think sometimes as companies get bigger, the layers of bureaucracy expands beyond sense/efficiency too. Get the company to the level where there are dealers and international distributors, and suddenly your distribution and ordering is a step removed from the makers.
    Its one of the reasons why I like going to the Small winders.......you talk with the owner/winder. Its direct and free of complication.

Mojo's Minions

Bareknuckle pickups is great to communicate with and make you a pickup that looks like you want it to look like. But, they don't do 'custom' stuff.

I found that AxesRUs and House of Tone, in the UK, fill that void perfectly. They make GREAT pickups, plenty of options to choose from in terms of esthetics, and they're affordable. Little name brands, sure, but with great quality. My favorite humbuckers are now from AxesRUs. My favorite singlecoils too. My favorite p90's and minihumbuckers are also from AxesRUs. Never tried their tele pickups though.

About SD CS: yes communicating with SD can be a PAIN. I am not exactly sure why they won't deal with customers directly but it has something to do with EU environmental laws. bla bla bla bla bla

Toneologist
    I don't know: the Earth doesn't stop to turn on itself...

A post scriptum to my last answer for the record.

I’ve not named any other winder in my previous answer because it’s not what the OP seemed to ask and because I generally avoid advertising for the concurrence on the Duncan forum.

I know Bare Knuckle and Fokin : they sell good pickups - although one of my friends had an issue with one of these two brands as causing an unbalanced strings level on his Strat and has solved it with “another set coming from Camano Island”. LOL.

Now and FWIW: there’s winders in France and their pickups are not necessarily forgettable…

My last guitar is a double neck. the 6 strings side involves an old Duncan + an home made design. The 12 strings side is powered by a set of French Custom designed HB’s because they were the best for that.

I could also mention one of my friends who is a now retired French luthier / winder with 4 decades of experience and a pair of patents that any maker would be proud to have filed (I’ve yet to find a regular sized Humbucker design with the same efficiency than his masterpiece Humbucker: 12 Henry for 16k… Most normal HB’s deliver 7 or 8 H for the same DCR and are therefore weaker sounding).

We keep buying MIA pickups because of their “historical anteriority”, making them a reference – and because people here keep wanting these products for the same reason.

But there’s good winders everywhere in the World including France, and not only UK or Russia… :-)

Examples: CREL, Engine Pickups, Hepcat, Kami, KCPI, Nicolas Pain, SP Custom, Tornade MS (non limitative list in alphabetical order. I’ve been in touch with most of these guys and I consider them able to build top notch custom order pickups).

FWIW. And sorry for the off topic if it's off topic. :-)
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Again, I understand frustration here- being in a different country, having to order through a dealer (middleman), etc, and lots of thing can go wrong in that...but there are lots of success stories of Europeans ordering from the Custom Shop, too, and you have your choice of dealers.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Administrator

Hello Micha! Very sorry to hear you've had an unsatisfactory experience in placing an order with the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop. We would be happy to service you directly; however, the EU's WEEE Directive keeps us from doing so. I recommend you contact the local French distributor, Algam, for assistance in locating an authorized Seymour Duncan dealer to field your Custom Shop order. Here is a link to their contact information: https://www.algam.net/contact/
    Please kindly let me know if you have any further issues. Your business and support are much appreciated. Thank you!

Closed
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.