Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low wattage Marshall JCM800

Default Low wattage Marshall JCM800

Hi all,
    is there a manufacturer who build a decent JCM800-style amp under 1000$, with no more than 20W (or 40-50-60W, but switchable to lower wattages?)
    I'd use it only at home, no gigging or rehearsal, so 20W is the maximum I can handle.
    The reverb is not mandatory, but if it had loop FX and channels switching (clean-drive button), it would be great!

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Default Re: Low wattage Marshall JCM800

JCM1H?

Quote Originally Posted by chadd View Post
    JCM1H?
    I don't live in an apartment building, so no neighbours up and down, but I have neighbours on the left side of my home. I can go far beyond 1W, but the 50-100W of a vintage Marshall monster are too much for me.

I played for 7-8 years with a 20W tube head and had no complaint until now, so a head in the 10-20W range is ok for me.

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

Are you aware of these:

https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/studio

I know they are a bit north of $1K new, but used or an open box?

Another idea is a Marshall JMD:1. More than 20 watts but they still sound great at whisper volume. Has a pretty good JCM800 model plus a lot more. Plus they have all the amenities for home use such as line outs , head phones out, FX loop and so forth.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

AMT M2 preamp + Headrush FRFR108 2000w powered speaker. You can scale the JCM800 sound from whispering to wall breaking levels easily. I use the 12" ALTO sibling onstage and it works perfectly as a very defined stage monitor.

This pack is somewhere around $300-ish new I guess.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 10-21-2019 at 01:07 PM.

This sounds like a job for the Lead 12 or Lead 20 combos. They're modeled after the JCM800 amps but in SS form.

Check out Ceriatone's line

marshall makes a few 20w all tube amps right now that sound awesome. they do a plexi, a jcm800 thats similar to a 2204 but 20w instead of 50w, they also do a jub which is channel switching. fx loops but no reverb. used you should be able to get em under $1k

Quote Originally Posted by guitfiddle View Post
    This sounds like a job for the Lead 12 or Lead 20 combos. They're modeled after the JCM800 amps but in SS form.
    Lead 12s sound great, but they don't sound all that similar to a JCM800 unless you boost it with a tube screamer.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    marshall makes a few 20w all tube amps right now that sound awesome. they do a plexi, a jcm800 thats similar to a 2204 but 20w instead of 50w, they also do a jub which is channel switching. fx loops but no reverb. used you should be able to get em under $1k
    I paid $850 for my 2525H a couple years ago, and I've seen several others for sale for $1000 or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Good morning guys and thank you all for the replies.
    In fact, I don't need a Marshall amp at all costs or a 1:1 clone of the JCM800. This was perhaps not clear from my first message.

I rather want a tube amp under 1000$ with
    - modern features like channels switching, send/return and master volume
    -a drive channel with a classic british flavour (to be accurate, the modern JCM800 rather than the vintage Plexi)

So no modern higain metal amps, and no exotic drive channels, like Orange for example, that sounds boxy to my ears and over saturated of mids.
    A nice clean (Fender and Hiwatt are my reference tones for clean), and a Marshall-style distortion channel(s) that goes from crunch to classic rock and classic metal, to push with a TS9 or a booster in the input, if needed.
    In fact, I prefer something quieter to push hard with external pedals (booster, overdrive), rather than an extreme amp that starts to crunch immediately and becomes a metal beast when the gain knob passes 3/10.
    Last edited by loziodavid; 10-23-2019 at 05:43 AM.

Look at Blackstar

Quote Originally Posted by loziodavid View Post
    Good morning guys and thank you all for the replies.
    In fact, I don't need a Marshall amp at all costs or a 1:1 clone of the JCM800. This was perhaps not clear from my first message.

I rather want a tube amp under 1000$ with
    - modern features like channels switching, send/return and master volume
    -a drive channel with a classic british flavour (to be accurate, the modern JCM800 rather than the vintage Plexi)

So no modern higain metal amps, and no exotic drive channels, like Orange for example, that sounds boxy to my ears and over saturated of mids.
    A nice clean (Fender and Hiwatt are my reference tones for clean), and a Marshall-style distortion channel(s) that goes from crunch to classic rock and classic metal, to push with a TS9 or a booster in the input, if needed.
    In fact, I prefer something quieter to push hard with external pedals (booster, overdrive), rather than an extreme amp that starts to crunch immediately and becomes a metal beast when the gain knob passes 3/10.
    The 2525H Silver Jubilee.

Ultimate Tone Member

Laney IRT Studio is an all tube 15w head, most of the reviews are from metal players, but this one is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_8g...&start_radio=1

Quote Originally Posted by donaldr View Post
    Laney IRT Studio is an all tube 15w head, most of the reviews are from metal players, but this one is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_8g...&start_radio=1
    Nice, thank you! The drive channel seems a sort of boosted Marshall amp. I will consider it.

Meanwhile I discovered this...thoughts? Have you ever tried it?

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

I've always thought the blue channel on the EVH stuff is Marshall-y: Mid-forward, not super saturated, tight and attack-y but not overly modern, and not extremely bottom-heavy. At least it was on both my LBX 1 and 2. It is moreso on the LBX 1, though.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-24-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nostalgic Distortion's Avatar

I’ve been eyeing a dual 6V6 JCM-800 clone that’s like 20W for a while now. I played through it & honestly I liked it better than an actual modern JCM-800. I’m pretty sure that I’ll end up taking it but I’m going to have to get rid of something else first....

My house has reached maximum capacity for amplifiers & I think one more may turn the place into a Monty Python sketch???
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

You can find a used Friedman Runt, which is a 20 watt head, for under $1000, but it doesn't have any power switching options.
    "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Actually, it sounds like a simple DSL20HR is what you need. And it’ll be far FAR below your budget..,especially used.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffenstein View Post
    Actually, it sounds like a simple DSL20HR is what you need. And it’ll be far FAR below your budget..,especially used.
    And its EL34 powered. I would be skeptical of any EL84 or 6V6 powered alternatives for 800 type tone.

Mojo's Minions

This one is amazing -and legit and expensive. SV20 series

But switchable 20W or 5 beadroom Watts of pure Marshall Plexi tone. with effects loops!

Thanks to Devastone for catching my model number error

Nailed it -it smokes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-11-04 11.06.54.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	101833

or 1x12 Combo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-11-04 11.08.14.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	101832
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 11-04-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard