Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perpetual burn/custom 5 hybrid or custom 5 with increased harmonics.

Tone Member

Default Perpetual burn/custom 5 hybrid or custom 5 with increased harmonics.

Hello people,
    After writing this thread...
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...sed-trembucker
    ... And making some test, I realize that what I've been searching for is not exactly this pickup.
    It's a great great pickup but not for my les Paul type guitar in wich I would like to put a more scooped, vintage tone with balls trembucker.

That's why I asked some guys at seymour Duncan for some advices.
    I was adviced to make build a custom 5 customshop trembucker with increased harmonics (in short)
    And order:

A custom 5 trembucker with
    -increased harmonics
    -10/15% more output (16.5k or something)

So it's a way that could interesting for me.
    But I'm curious.... And only for my curiosity I asked myself and you:

I read that the perpetual burn is a great pup, in some terms a jb without this high mids of the jb.

What could done a perpetual burn/custom 5 hybrid?

On the paper this perpetual burn seems to be an interesting pup....

I'm curious to know what kind of sound I could have if I let buy the 2 pickups.

Default Re: Perpetual burn/custom 5 hybrid or custom 5 with increased harmonics.

Since my other hybrid threads, I've been contemplating what a JB/Perpetual Burn hybrid might be like

Tone Member

Default Re: Perpetual burn/custom 5 hybrid or custom 5 with increased harmonics.

Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    Since my other hybrid threads, I've been contemplating what a JB/Perpetual Burn hybrid might be like
    Not scooped enough for me. But could be interesting for jb lovers for sure.

Tone Member

No opinion?

a scooped vintage tone with more output is a tough thing to do. more output typically means more turns of wire which gets it away from a vintage tone and a mid scooped eq profile. i bet a perpetual burn/custom 5 hybrid would be a cool sounding pup but i bet itll have less output than a c5.

You could always just get a vintage output pickup and boost it with a pedal instead of trying to do it with a pickup.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Take a look at the DiMarzio Steve's Special. It's got the same kind of 'scooped' or 'vocal' balance as the Custom 5, but it's hotter and it uses a ceramic magnet, giving you slightly sharper high-end and a tiny bit of compression. Everything jumps out with it; harmonics, fundamentals, everything. DiMarzio aren't lying when they call it "hi-fi". It's kind of like the SD Parallel Axis pickups except it's got some real bass to it. Only problem is it's totally unforgiving. It's not a pickup that is going to soften any mistakes you make or compensate for an acoustically-dull guitar.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    a scooped vintage tone with more output is a tough thing to do. more output typically means more turns of wire which gets it away from a vintage tone and a mid scooped eq profile. i bet a perpetual burn/custom 5 hybrid would be a cool sounding pup but i bet itll have less output than a c5.
    That's why I have to Red with the custom shop next week.
    Perhaps there is something to do with insulation or something. I don't really know.
    A little bit overwound coil should not be a big problem I think and coul satisfy me.
    I don't want a high gain monster. Only a little bit more.

And if I get a perpetual burn/C5 hybrid with less distortion it doesn't matter at all if he screams a little more and have richer harmonics.

I'm just curios to know how it could sounds this perpetual burn / C5.
    It seems this perpetual burn sounds like a scooped JB without the lacks of the jb

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    You could always just get a vintage output pickup and boost it with a pedal instead of trying to do it with a pickup.
    I must confess I don't know the Di marzios.

Mojo's Minions

For once and for all:

DC resistance is NOT A MEASUREMENT FOR OUTPUT!!!!!

The funny thing is that a perpetual burn/act hybrid would not have more DCR than a C5 but it would have approximately the same millivolts in output.

Have you tried the Pegasus yet? That pickup is slated to be what you desire.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Flibble View Post
    Take a look at the DiMarzio Steve's Special. It's got the same kind of 'scooped' or 'vocal' balance as the Custom 5, but it's hotter and it uses a ceramic magnet, giving you slightly sharper high-end and a tiny bit of compression. Everything jumps out with it; harmonics, fundamentals, everything. DiMarzio aren't lying when they call it "hi-fi". It's kind of like the SD Parallel Axis pickups except it's got some real bass to it. Only problem is it's totally unforgiving. It's not a pickup that is going to soften any mistakes you make or compensate for an acoustically-dull guitar.
    I don't know dimarzio products.
    I have to take a look.

Tone Member

No I didn't try the Pegasus.
    I don't know why. Perhaps I have some préjudice.
    I my head for me it's a black metal humbucker... Dont' ask me why

Orpheo, you know all kinds of coils.
    What are you thinking about the perpetual burn/C5 hybrid.
    How could he sounds in comparison to the jb/fullshred? (more scooped?) or to the c5?

In the end, do as you think best, but thinking that the Pegasus is a "black metal" humbucker is a mistake.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

The Pegasus (like the Black Winter) is marketed as big metal pickups but they both do many things well.

Tone Member

The Pegasus is a pretty misunderstood pickup. Bringing up the Steves Special again, it's in the same vein. They are both marketed and designed for progressive playing, treat the mid-range in noticeably funny ways, and require pretty deliberate playing. People tend to switch to the neck (sentient or air norton usually) when playing lead because it’s so much easier to play with and be carefree. In almost all YouTube videos of these sets, you will see people doing this.

To sum up the Pegasus, it’s not always a pickup of honesty but it definitely knows when my hands are lying.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micha View Post
    No I didn't try the Pegasus.
    I don't know why. Perhaps I have some préjudice.
    I my head for me it's a black metal humbucker... Dont' ask me why

Orpheo, you know all kinds of coils.
    What are you thinking about the perpetual burn/C5 hybrid.
    How could he sounds in comparison to the jb/fullshred? (more scooped?) or to the c5?
    Pegasus is NOT a Blackmetal pickup, its very versatile and has no weakness IMO. One of Duncan's best with higher gain, stays very clear and note to note separation is excellent

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by orpheo View Post
    For once and for all:

DC resistance is NOT A MEASUREMENT FOR OUTPUT!!!!!

The funny thing is that a perpetual burn/act hybrid would not have more DCR than a C5 but it would have approximately the same millivolts in output.

Have you tried the Pegasus yet? That pickup is slated to be what you desire.
    Show me a low output pickup at 20k. There is some correlation between output and res

Quote Originally Posted by OLDERBUDWISER View Post
    Show me a low output pickup at 20k. There is some correlation between output and res
    The Hot Stack for Tele has DCR of 21.4K, but actual output like a vintage-hot single coil or maybe a PAF humbucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by OLDERBUDWISER View Post
    DCr is an indication but not a law.
    My patb-2 has 21k....is by wide not as aggressive make my JB/FS hybrid with alnico 8 that has 13.2k.

It is a pretty good indication with similarly built pickups. But that's it.