Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refretting question . . . cutting fret slots to edge of board?

Default Re: Refretting question . . . cutting fret slots to edge of board?

How are you planning on seating the frets (without damaging them or bouncing them out) if you don't have a press or a dead-blow hammer?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    How are you planning on seating the frets (without damaging them or bouncing them out) if you don't have a press or a dead-blow hammer?
    I put a block of wood on top of the frets and hit the block with the hammer (not wailing away on it, just light tapping). The last guitar I refretted this way was pretty easy to fret this way. Takes a tap or two on the right of the fret, a tap or two on the left of the fret, and a tap or two in the middle. Boom, fret is seated with no visible marks. This is with stainless steel frets though, not sure if this method would work as well with nickle-silver, which are much softer. Then I pipe a little CA glue at the base of the fret which wicks up underneath them and the job is done.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Frets are in, and looking good! Much better than my first fret job . . . 21 of them seated well, but I had to heat up the soldering iron to pull one that I didn't radius correctly. Hopefully I'll get the leveling done tomorrow and then on to the painful week or two of sanding. It's going to be awesome to feel jumbo frets on this old girl.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.