Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why tone controls set so low??

Default Re: Why tone controls set so low??

I have allways wondered that, if there is a default setting to tone controls which amp builders build their amps? I mean like this is how the amp is supposed to sound at all tone controls at twelve a clock.

One thing not mentioned is how players choose bass when playing solo (or at home) and in a band situation. With a bass player alongside, there’s really no reason to have very much bass coming from the guitar amps at all. In fact, reducing bass and boosting mids, while also slightly pulling back gain can do wonders for live tone in a band setting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VinceT View Post
    One thing not mentioned is how players choose bass when playing solo (or at home) and in a band situation. With a bass player alongside, there’s really no reason to have very much bass coming from the guitar amps at all. In fact, reducing bass and boosting mids, while also slightly pulling back gain can do wonders for live tone in a band setting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Try explaining that to a guitarist who then says that, with things set like that, that the guitar doesn't sound "full" enough.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

In this video, starting at about 4:00, they describe a method of dialling in an amp by starting with all the EQ knobs at zero then rolling each up to the sweet spot then tweaking from there. I haven't tried it, but I can see how it makes sense if you're encountering a house amp you haven't played before. You're listening to the taper of the control as it rolls up from zero.

Default Why tone controls set so low??

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Try explaining that to a guitarist who then says that, with things set like that, that the guitar doesn't sound "full" enough.

The scooped Metallica curse....

even though the guitar tone on all of their albums have plenty of mids present.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    The scooped Metallica curse
    Yes, the irony being that that guitar sound isn't as scooped as most people think.

The bottom line is we all have different ears and different tastes. Whatever floats your boat go for it.

I think it is just a case of players using the amp differently than intended by the manufacturer. Marshalls were not initially supposed to be turned up to the point of distortion. Either were Fenders. So the actual players changed the 'rules' in how an amp should be set up. No doubt that would require extreme settings.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

In my experience, the more volume you have, the less extreme EQ adjustments you need.

At low volumes, I crank the bass and almost go full treble because I want to simulate a loud amp. When actually loud, they sit at 12 o clock.

Settings that sound nice and crisp on their own can be piercing as hell once miked and through the PA.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

To be fair, a lot of us first come into live settings playing in bands in high school and similar. Whatever small gigs you may have probably won't feature a sound technician, so Noone had ever requested that you alter your tone which has "always worked live" before (and at home) . Of course, the smart ones know to actually listen to the sound tech.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

I'd say it's so they can run the amp harder. With Fender amps with no mid control, for instance, you can boost the mids by running the bass and treble very low, and cranking the amp more, giving you boosted mids.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    To be fair, a lot of us first come into live settings playing in bands in high school and similar. Whatever small gigs you may have probably won't feature a sound technician, so Noone had ever requested that you alter your tone which has "always worked live" before (and at home) . Of course, the smart ones know to actually listen to the sound tech.
    Yes, but by the time that you hit 50, you should be able to learn different.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

I've never gotten the "666" settings people use on 5150's. To me, the mids above 4 on any iteration of a 5150 I've tried sound like pure honk.

I've been trying to explain to bassist, that makes half of our songs, that dialing in guitar heavy on lows to make huge boomm along with the bass in every song does not sound good, and gets really annoying after a while.

He doesn't quite get it, complaining I don't use enough bass and gain...
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    I've been trying to explain to bassist, that makes half of our songs, that dialing in guitar heavy on lows to make huge boomm along with the bass in every song does not sound good, and gets really annoying after a while.

He doesn't quite get it, complaining I don't use enough bass and gain...
    Pity that we couldn't trade them.

I think there are a lot of people who are overthinking this. The EQ controls are really just specific volume controls if you look at them in the most basic sense. Given the fact that most players like at least a little bit of overdrive in their sound, and unless they are running a non master volume amp, without anything hitting the preamp, chances are they will have the gain higher than it "needs" to be. Since volume is nothing more than turning all the frequencies up equally, with the gain at the level that most players like there will be an excess of the frequencies you want/need in your sound. Therefor, it's almost always better to cut frequencies as opposed to letting them all through.

An amp with a super sensitive EQ like a Boogie Mark series or a Soldano is just an extreme example of this, and usually amps like those are the ones where you find really conservative EQ curve.

With a Plexi or a Tweed things are wayyyyyyyyyyyy less picky and you can generally get away with diming almost everything and still sound pretty damn good.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthejester13 View Post
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by oilpit View Post
    With a Plexi or a Tweed things are wayyyyyyyyyyyy less picky and you can generally get away with diming almost everything and still sound the best.
    Fixed.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

Mojo's Minions

The Magic Six setting on Fenders is real. VERY REAL
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

I had an old Carvin X amp and I think that it had active tone controls. Anything above 5 was boost and below 5 was cut.

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    The Magic Six setting on Fenders is real. VERY REAL
    I have been playing Fenders for years and it doesn't work for me I need more bass and less treble. My EQ curve is definitely a downhill slope