Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your approach for soloing over a single chord for several bars?

my banana hammock hosts a leetle peppercini and has hit the skids Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Default Re: What's your approach for soloing over a single chord for several bars?

In my simplest mind - solo in sections.

Section 1 = slight melody
    Section 2 = Shred
    Section 3 = return to and embellishment on melody
    section for = Ladder to climax

Or Single note/Double stop call/response style

Or Go modal...E minor penta, to E minor, to a Dorian movement, back to pentatonic, maybe a little Mixolydian to brighten it up, back to Penta for the finish.

Vary the register and the style...low/high/low etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

Default Re: What's your approach for soloing over a single chord for several bars?

I improvise melodies, and also go outside the chords.

Hereís one of my bandís songs thatís mostly in E during the solo. Itís also a very fast punk type thing. At first I couldnít figured out what to play over it.

So I had to get creative and take the solo through different phases. I improvised most of it, and composed a couple of spots. Then I re-learned it and double tracked it. Live I just play it like the recording. Itís a challenge to get out of the solo and into the bridge. It keeps me on my toes.

https://soundcloud.com/jezo-and-the-...stop-breathing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice solo, it fits the song well.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

I start with a heavy metal solo, then I go to classic rock, then jazz, then I go to blues, then pop....if there is another bar I start to rap. OK, the truth is I just play the way I always play....I've been doing it so long I can't change.
    *******Please check out some of my songs:
    https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=1430296