Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Preamp Tubes for High Gain. Shootout Results.

Default Re: Preamp Tubes for High Gain. Shootout Results.

Great reviews for sure! My personal fav's are the NOS RFT ECC83's and EH12ax7's for new production. I have some Ruby Chinese 12ax7's that sound great as well. However, I've had ALOT of bad luck with Groove Tubes in the past....they've left a bad taste in my mouth.
    :afro:

Quote Originally Posted by AmpliFIRE
    Great reviews for sure! My personal fav's are the NOS RFT ECC83's and EH12ax7's for new production. I have some Ruby Chinese 12ax7's that sound great as well. However, I've had ALOT of bad luck with Groove Tubes in the past....they've left a bad taste in my mouth.
    GT also sells a cheaper version of their power tubes, which are terrible. They're the power tubes with C at the end, meaning China. The 12AX7C's are Chinese, but great. The Chinese power tubes aren't even worth buying. Always buy the expensive versions of GT power tubes. Really, though, I think JJ's and Svetlanas are the only current power tubes you really need to look at. They both always sound great in tube amps, and are cheaper than the GT labeled tubes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Dean Hardtail Fanologist Jeff_H's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmpliFIRE
    The RFT was one of my favorite tubes for V1 of my Marshall, along with a NOS Bugle Boy. Once I dropped a Groove Tubes 12AX7-C in there it was all over. I was the biggest NOS snob you could imagine, but the C's shocked the hell out of me. All of the best attributes of the RFT's, plus clarity, articulation, gain....everything I wanted in V1 always. The Groove Tubes are so good either the C or the M (mullard reissue) occupies every slot in my amp except the reverb driver. That got a JJ to warm it up.

on Elm Streetologist Nite_Maresz_25's Avatar

Awesome post GJ!!!

admins: LOCK THIS MOFO UP!!!
    Constantly wanting new gear...

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser
    GT also sells a cheaper version of their power tubes, which are terrible. They're the power tubes with C at the end, meaning China. The 12AX7C's are Chinese, but great. The Chinese power tubes aren't even worth buying. Always buy the expensive versions of GT power tubes. Really, though, I think JJ's and Svetlanas are the only current power tubes you really need to look at. They both always sound great in tube amps, and are cheaper than the GT labeled tubes.
    I was at Guitar Center, unfortunately, and saw that they had one 12ax7c left in stock. It was a Groove Tubes Silver Series 12ax7c for $8.95. So I bought it. I haven't fired it up yet because the twins are still sleeping. Has anyone tried these silver series version? Are they decent. I was hoping GC would have the better quality GT 12ax7c's that are recommended by GJ. GT website says that they don't recommend the silver series in V1. I will post my review of these shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Faraday
    I was at Guitar Center, unfortunately, and saw that they had one 12ax7c left in stock. It was a Groove Tubes Silver Series 12ax7c for $8.95. So I bought it. I haven't fired it up yet because the twins are still sleeping. Has anyone tried these silver series version? Are they decent. I was hoping GC would have the better quality GT 12ax7c's that are recommended by GJ. GT website says that they don't recommend the silver series in V1. I will post my review of these shortly.
    Well I tried the GT Silver Series 12ax7c and found that it is not bad when driven. It sounds 'average' for clean tones. When driven it produced nice density in the mids, but the top end was brittle and ice picky. The bottom end was clear and not mushy. Pick harmonics were a breeze. I played a CustomCustom straight into a THD Univalve with EL34 on Hi voltage with no fx. Nice tube for 9 bucks, but I would like to audition the 12ax7c that everyone hear is raving about. I will still record with my telefunken and use the GT for practice. I also want to try the Sovtek LPS as well.

bumping this excellent information. Could be vault-worthy.

I vote for vault material.

When you did this, did you replace all of the pre tubes each time?

Also, tell me more about the JJ E34L's.
    Last edited by Xeromus; 09-06-2005 at 07:56 PM.

Great thread!

Thanks fo rthe info.