Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tube Screamer Opamp Comparisons JRC4558D Vs TI RC4558P

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar

Default Tube Screamer Opamp Comparisons JRC4558D Vs TI RC4558P

Hello guys....I have another TS5 that I Just picked up from e bay and modded it identically to the one I sent Bob(Midnite Man)as a backup Tube Screamer and to experiment with...Bob's and mine both have early 80s JRC4558D opamps...Mine and Bob's both have a very full and throaty sounding tone with just the right amount of gain with the drive control maxed in an effort to retain note clarity without tonal mush...I find with my strat through my Marshall that I Like the drive maxed,the tone control on the TS5 set just a bit below mid point and the level right at mid point for the best tones...

Today I thought I'd check out both the TI RC4558P chip and also the TI RC4559P chip....Both of these chips sound almost identical to meSome things I Notice when using these chips...There's a very slight decrease in volume level,the note articulation seems a bit better,but the lows get stripped away a bit as does the overall gain of the pedal..These two chips seem to give my TS5 more higher mids which allows the pedal to cut better but I also end up having to turn the TS5s tone control back some as I Lose the warmth of the JRC 4558 D chip....

The JRC4558D chip in my TS5 has an old 4 digit number starting with 0....0 being the year I believe(1980),and it's an early chip...My TS5 with this chip in place of the TI s above is night and day..The JRC removes some highs but it has more output,adds a touch more gain,and seems to emphasize the lows and lower mids more and it does it in a much smoother way...The notes sing and sustain much better out of the pedal with this chip...This is still the correct sounding chip for the Tube Screamer series...I was pretty disappointed with the TI chips above in my TS5....I had to turn my TS5 up to about the 1 o clock position to match the output I had with the JRC chip at mid level or noon on the level control...It's noticible...This extra output is enough to notice extra balls and gain with the JRC chip...Turning up the volume with both TI chips just brings the mids and highs out more without any increase in gain...

However....I favor the TI RC 4558 P in my SD1 mods as it keeps the SD1 having it's own identity..The SD1 isn't as articulate as a Tube Screamer and has 1 extra diode to generate it's distortion and so fairs better with the cleaner sounding TI chip...The SD1 has more overall gain and the TI chip works well in this pedal...I won't use this chip in any of my Tube Screamer mods though because the JRC was just a very noticible difference in tone over the TI...

In no way does either of the TI chips sound bad...They are real smooth sounding,but the JRC 4558 D chip sounds alot ballsier in the lows and smoother with a nice rolled off highend tone that is easily brightened by a small upward tweak to the tone control...I don't hear any difference in tone that I can recall between the RC4558 and the RC4559 but both of these chips eq differently compared to the JRC....

Wanted to share my findings with all of you..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

The Duke Of Trades

I agree. The old 80's JRC4558P's seem warmer to me as well. Also, now that you mention it, I can only "that sound" (clean boost TS-808 with neck pup) with the old chip. I assume that's because of the added gain.

Thanks for confirming that my preference isn't just "wishful thinking!"

Good, informative post, as usual Stratdeluxer97!!!!!
    Only The Strong Survive

Originally posted by 59paul
    Good, informative post, as usual Stratdeluxer97!!!!!
    Thanks buddy....Hey,Do listen to Jeff H's SD1 clips on his website and give me some feedback...Jeff has the unmodded SD1 and one of my modded SD1s...Honestly I wasn't that thrilled with the modded recordings...Let me know what you think though?

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

HI JOHN, I broke down and ordered a JRC 4558D for my TS-5
    last night. HA HA I gotta hear it for myself

I also have a TS-9 RI That the switches keep going in it? The 1st
    time I swaped one outta my Ibanez Comp. It worked for a few
    more months, Than died on me. Than I found a guy on ebay selling replacement switches for TS-9s ,Got one, Installed it...
    No dice the thing woundn't power up? I know it's hard to say
    But where would be the 1st place to look to get this thing flying again. I'm think'in about putting the op amp from the TS-5 in it.
    Maybe that's the problem ??? Any Idea's or suggestions??

Originally posted by kmcguitars
    HI JOHN, I broke down and ordered a JRC 4558D for my TS-5
    last night. HA HA I gotta hear it for myself

I also have a TS-9 RI That the switches keep going in it? The 1st
    time I swaped one outta my Ibanez Comp. It worked for a few
    more months, Than died on me. Than I found a guy on ebay selling replacement switches for TS-9s ,Got one, Installed it...
    No dice the thing woundn't power up? I know it's hard to say
    But where would be the 1st place to look to get this thing flying again. I'm think'in about putting the op amp from the TS-5 in it.
    Maybe that's the problem ??? Any Idea's or suggestions??
    Hello buddy...Are you sure your problem is the switch? Sounds more like your problem is tied into the switch but isn't the switch itself,especially after you've replaced yours already...Could just need a new diode or a transistor went bad...I'd have to look at it though and test the components...I have every part needed for the Tube Screamers other than that switch...Honestly,I've not had that much problems with those switches but the TS5 switches are very small and cheap...If you sent me your pedal I'm very sure I could figure out what happened to it...

John

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
    Thanks buddy....Hey,Do listen to Jeff H's SD1 clips on his website and give me some feedback...Jeff has the unmodded SD1 and one of my modded SD1s...Honestly I wasn't that thrilled with the modded recordings...Let me know what you think though?

John
    Do the TS5 mods as I showed them on the website for great tone and make sure you first solder an 8 pin ic holder in place so you can pop chips in and out whenever you want and you won't overheat your opamp...If you need a nice blown up photo of a modded TS5,E mail me and I'll send it to you...

John

Hello buddy...Are you sure your problem is the switch? Sounds more like your problem is tied into the switch but isn't the switch itself,especially after you've replaced yours already...Could just need a new diode or a transistor went bad...I'd have to look at it though and test the components...I have every part needed for the Tube Screamers other than that switch...Honestly,I've not had that much problems with those switches but the TS5 switches are very small and cheap...If you sent me your pedal I'm very sure I could figure out what happened to it...

John
    The problem with the TS-9 goes beyond the switch. I tried bypassing the switch, Still dead? It used to work intermitanly,
    When I switched it on, It would go off right away(had to hit it
    4 or 5 times to stay on) same thing shuting it it off. Then it whent
    completely dead. That's when I replaced the switch. (Still dead)
    That's a great Idea (the ic pin holder) is there enuff room in the
    TS-5 for that? I was just looking inside , It looks a little tight?
    How should I contact you about the TS-9 repair ?

Hey John, I listened to the SD-1 clips from JeffH. I like the unmodded clips the best. The unmodded pedal sounded more Natural, at least to me. The modded pedal sounded compressed, almost muddy. Anyway, there's my 2 cents worth.
    Only The Strong Survive