Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brian May's Unreachable (?) Tone

Toneologist

Default Re: Brian May's Unreachable (?) Tone

Great thread, Brian May did have some Awesome recorded tones!

Mega Pony Rider Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boy Bob
    A couple of earlier posts mentioned to use the normal channel of the AC30. That helps a lot. Also, don't have the treble on the amp too high, around 3 or 4. Get your treble with the booster cranked. Volume on the amp is cranked, of course ( I didn't have to tell you that.) If you have a Strat, try it in the notch positions with the guitar tone knob rolled back a bit. I have found that if the tone cap in my quitar is more like .01 mfd, I can get that hollow/woody sound with the tone engaged. I have not used a Vox amp for a wihile, but that worked for me.

If you want to use a scratchy pick but don't want to heft a quarter or half-dollar (if you can find one) those Hercos picks with the serated gripping surface work well if you turn them over.

All that said, what with this being the present and all, it would probably be easier to us a Tube Screamer or Boss OD to boost the AC 30 and shape the tone, without it getting too screachy. I bet Brian would have used one if thay had been available. I seem to recall that he said his booster was modified.
    I'm using a Legendary Tones Time Machine Boost, which supposedly has the Brian May-type boost (among other boosts) available. Has anyone else here used the Time Machine Boost in conjunction with a Vox AC30?

Ultimate Tone Slacker James Rock's Avatar

A couple of earlier posts mentioned to use the normal channel of the AC30. That helps a lot. Also, don't have the treble on the amp too high, around 3 or 4.
    if u r using a ressiue or original AC30 then the tone controls (not including CUT) don't do anything on the normal channel
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Ultimate Tone Slacker Johtosotku's Avatar

IIRC, May had his vox with all controls on full. He controlled volume by the positioning of the amp, and never touched the controls. The use of a coin instead of a plectrum should help as well, if you haven't tried.
    There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Was his Dad a luthier? I never really got the details as to how they went about building his guitar (something about a fireplace?).
    PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
    PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
    GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
    Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
    Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
    various pedals

Godfather of Unholy Metal Distortion Luís's Avatar
    I'm at you forum, un-tarding your system!

^Nope, his dad was not a luthier, I believe an electrician or woodworker but that be my mind filling up details (it would be logical for him to be any), most likely he was an electrical engenier. Run a search for Harold May, that's his name and why Brian is named BHM.

The fireplace (something that belonged with a fireplace don't ask me what as that was naver disclosed is made of mahogany) is his neck, including a couple of wormholes holes. It's well over 100 years old.

Just for some more info. The fb is oak painted with Rustin's Black Plastic Coating.

The core is oak (or mahogany, can't precise at the moment - EDIT: its oak alright) to which the neck is glued and screw. This came from an old table.

The neck has a long tenon that goes to the bridge pup.

The body was from a plywood road sign that was thinned down to have the top and back of the guitar.

Don't forget the 0 fret which is apparently one of the reasons his vibrato works so well (the guitar effectivelly has 25 frets).

BM is the reason why I decided to build my guitar (yet to be accomplished but on its way), and I dug up some info on the RS.
    Last edited by Luís; 09-04-2005 at 03:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by threechordcharlie and ratherdashing
    TCC:What happened to LSP?
    RD:A question friends and school guidance counselors have been asking for years.

Up in the Igloo's of . . . Western Canada???

That burns reissue sounds nice, doesn't seem to have the overall "warmth" that the original did thats for sure. You can also really hear that pense he use's, gives him a very distinct attack.

Ty
    Guitars:
    G&L Legacy Special
    Amps:
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    Effects:
    Keeley Compressor, FulltoneFulldrive II, TC Electronics Nova Delay

Have you ever tried a crispy cream treble booster? Nails the May tone pretty good.

http://www.treblebooster.com/