Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vox Valvetronix 120w head?

Default Vox Valvetronix 120w head?

I'm looking at buying a new amp sometime in the next year, and I've been looking at Mesa, Marshall, Fender, Soldano, Crate, and Laney. Most are all about $1,000 for just the head, with the exception of Crate, being around $600. I had just discovered the Valvetonrix head, and it seems to do the jobs that I want it to do. It would have pretty much all the sounds I'd want, for a decent price.

Anybody recommend this amp? My style is an eclectic mix of Maiden, Van Halen, Corrosion of Conformity, Anthrax, Testament, Pantera, Zakk Wylde, etc.

P.S. - I know some of you tube purists will push me towards the tube amps
    Current Guitars: 2016 Gibson SG Special 70's Tribute, 2016 Gibson Classic Goldtop
    Current Amp: Mesa/Boogie Mark V > 2x12
    Current Effects Pedal: PettyJohn Chime, Fulltone Clyde, EQD Grand Orbiter, Empress VMSD
    Current G.A.S: moar Les Pauls - The list just keeps changing!

Ultimate Tone Member mnbaseball91's Avatar

Default Re: Vox Valvetronix 120w head?

I haven't played the head, but I've played the AD60VTX which is virtually the same thing in a combo. I absolutely love it. It's the most open, real sounding solid state amp I've ever played. The lower end models don't quite have the chunk you need in the high gain models, but the 60 and 120 watt models took care of that. It's way better than anything Crate has to offer, including the Blue Voodoo.

Edit: Just to clarify, when I say lower end models I mean the AD15, AD30, and AD50.
    Last edited by mnbaseball91; 09-03-2005 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat
    Believe it or not, I started on drums. Then I decided to become a musician.

The Valvetronix are about the only Solid State that I'd own in a minute. (used to own one, had to make room and sold it)

The 120 version is essentially a stereo 60 watter. It is 120 watts, but it's set up as two parallel 60 watts amps. So, you can run it in stereo for the effects if you have two cabs. That's pretty cool. You can also turn down the wattage to bedroom levels.

The thing about the Vox versus the Fender and Line 6 stuff is that they actually use a little preamp tube as a miniature power tube. So, and it actually works, they run the signal through that tube, then they scale it up using the solid state power supplies. In the 120, I'm guessing they have two 12AX7 tubes.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Oh yeah, it's laid out like an amp should be, like you are used to. No menus to scroll through for days.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Don't be fooled by the retro looks, the AD120 and AD60 heads are great for metal tones.
    The Recto model, used with any of the 3 OD models + the built in noisegate, will give you heavier gain than the majority of tube amps.......I know, because I have an AD60 head on a Marshall 4-12, sitting next to a Bogner Ecstasy w/4-12. I can listen carefully, and do a good job of duplicating a $3000 amp, using the $420 Vox amp. The key is the speakers.

The Vox Valvetronix is the only halfstack you can use at whisper volume, and still sound good. Then, switch from 1W up to the dual 60W stereo into 4-12's and it's got the same quality as a Vetta halfstack. Like all modelers, some of the models suck, but if you learn to manipulate the ones that are good, you can program 100 channels, using just the best amps on the dial. There's not much hiss on cleans, but since highgain adds noise, the internal noisegate is a big plus. I'm also spoiled by the tuner.

I practice at home on the Vox, but take the Bogner anytime I'm playing out. If I only had the Vox, I'm confident it would do just as good. I have the 60W version, which is adequately loud, but if you're making it your main amp, go for the 120 and use it on a stereo Marshall or Mesa cab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

If Scott and GJ recommend it, then it surely must be amazing

Thanks a lot guys.
    Current Guitars: 2016 Gibson SG Special 70's Tribute, 2016 Gibson Classic Goldtop
    Current Amp: Mesa/Boogie Mark V > 2x12
    Current Effects Pedal: PettyJohn Chime, Fulltone Clyde, EQD Grand Orbiter, Empress VMSD
    Current G.A.S: moar Les Pauls - The list just keeps changing!

18 watts of Mayhemologist JumpMarine's Avatar

Hard to add to what GJ and Scott have already said, but must add my own kudos for a GREAT amp. I've got the AD60 head and running side by side with my buddy's VTX120 there was virtually no difference in output volume in the respective 60w/120w settings. That goes for the lower settings as well. Speakers really do make a difference with this amp. Personally I don't care for the stock Celestion Neo's that you will find in the 4x12,2x12 and VTX combos. But combined with V30's or one of the many good Eminence speakers it will impress most with great tone, sensitivity, and versitality. You just can't get this much bang for you buck elsewhere.
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

It makes a slight difference, but if you're talented enough to get the internally buried 12AX7 out, replace it with something higher output like a Sovtek LPS or GT 12AX7C.

The difference is marginal, but it does improve the tone of the amp. Essentially, the SS power section is just creating volume for the mini tube power section, so it makes sense that a higher quality tube will improve the overall sound and feel.

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar

You guys have left out one of the most instrumental guys regarding this amp.....ME! LOL.....

Do a search under Valvetronix..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

As far as getting the tube out, it's easy once you remove the rubber gromet. Just use good sticky packing tape to attatch to the top of the tube and leave a tab of tape to grab ahold of. LIGHTLY rock the tube side to side and pull up. Works everytime for me.
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

John, how could we forget your love of the Vox. Your reviews were the main reason that I looked seriously at the Valvetronics. Best money I've spent on gear yet!

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97
    You guys have left out one of the most instrumental guys regarding this amp.....ME! LOL.....

Do a search under Valvetronix..

FenderStratRock3

The Vox Valvetronix series is awesome. I would love to have one as a back up to my Blues Junior (I have my Microcube, but that doesn't exactly 'cut through...).

If your looking at mainly a high gain thing and you want tube, check out a Soldano Astroverb head. The head should probably come to about $650 used, and then you can get yourself a good, inexpensive cabinet (From what I've heard, Avatar is GREAT for the money) with the left over money. I suggest the Soldano because it is great for any kind of gain situation (be it slight blues overdrive or heavy metal high gain) and it's really cheap for what you get. Yes, it's only 16 watts, but 16 watts is more than enough for any situation. If your playing a big venue live, your amp will most likely be mic'd anyway. Seems like it'd be good for what you want.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbaseball91
    . The lower end models don't quite have the chunk you need in the high gain models, but the 60 and 120 watt models took care of that.

Edit: Just to clarify, when I say lower end models I mean the AD15, AD30, and AD50.
    Agree wholeheartedly. The 50 watter is not bad considering the cost. I had that version, and were it reliable, I'd still have it. The 30 watter that I have?....blech. I think you really need a 12" speaker if you are gonna go with the lower end VT's.

The higher end VT's are much better sounding (but the marshall models *still* are not quite right to my ears). Line 6 does have the edge on getting the frequencies right for the Marshall stuff, they just are a little sterile (especially the plexi's) compared to the Vox.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Yeah, I thought the Marshall models would be better, so I don't even use them.
    Luckily, there's plenty of gain, between the gain control and OD models, so you can beef up all the models that DO sound good, like the Recto, Fenders, and Vox's. Some of those combinations actually sound more Marshall-like than the actual Marshall models.

Quote Originally Posted by FenderStratRock3
    The Vox Valvetronix series is awesome. I would love to have one as a back up to my Blues Junior (I have my Microcube, but that doesn't exactly 'cut through...).

If your looking at mainly a high gain thing and you want tube, check out a Soldano Astroverb head. The head should probably come to about $650 used, and then you can get yourself a good, inexpensive cabinet (From what I've heard, Avatar is GREAT for the money) with the left over money. I suggest the Soldano because it is great for any kind of gain situation (be it slight blues overdrive or heavy metal high gain) and it's really cheap for what you get. Yes, it's only 16 watts, but 16 watts is more than enough for any situation. If your playing a big venue live, your amp will most likely be mic'd anyway. Seems like it'd be good for what you want.

Hope that helps.
    You don't get any clean headroom with a 16 watt amp normally...Is the Soldano an exception to that rule?
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB
    Agree wholeheartedly. The 50 watter is not bad considering the cost. I had that version, and were it reliable, I'd still have it. The 30 watter that I have?....blech. I think you really need a 12" speaker if you are gonna go with the lower end VT's.

The higher end VT's are much better sounding (but the marshall models *still* are not quite right to my ears). Line 6 does have the edge on getting the frequencies right for the Marshall stuff, they just are a little sterile (especially the plexi's) compared to the Vox.
    I agree....The Marshall models are wrong in the mids...You pretty much need a Marshall to get that Marshall sound,but I do like the Modern Gain DSL Model in the VTX series head I own..

This RAT pedal I built has an pretty amazing british grind straight into my Vox VTX's BF 2X12 model and into a Marshall V30 4x12 here at home..

Also,the built in "RAT" pedal tone in the VTX Valvetronix is ok,but my pedal blows it away!
    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 09-04-2005 at 01:55 PM.