Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Next Project....Vintage Sounding MXR Phase 90

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar

Default Next Project....Vintage Sounding MXR Phase 90

It'll blow away the stock sounding MXR Phase 90 reissue! A pedal just has to have the right components in there,but the MXR Phase 90 also benefits alot from matched transistors in the circuit...This has always been one of my favorite phase shifters...I own an early EH Small Stone that I Love,but the early Phase 90 has a different overall "mojo" and phase tone I Like...

Listen to "Achille's Last Stand" on Led Zeppelin's "Presence" album and that's a Phase 90 as is alot of early EVH stuff...Great pedal..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Default Re: Next Project....Vintage Sounding MXR Phase 90

Definately let us know how it turns out... I love phase pedals.

Ultimate Tone Slacker SoCalSteve's Avatar

Ya know, I was recently watching my Led Zep DVD's (the one with Monument Valley on the cover) and I never realized how much he used a phaser on alot of songs. How 'bout that phase effect on the drums in Kashmir - awesome sound.

Let us know how it turns out. I would be interested in getting one modded.
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

I got an Eddie Van Halen MXR Phase 90 for Christmas and I rarely turn it off. It is magical.

Quote Originally Posted by revsorg
    I got an Eddie Van Halen MXR Phase 90 for Christmas and I rarely turn it off. It is magical.
    Yes, the EVH pedal is really great. In script mode it sounds EXACTLY like a vintage MXR Phase 90. The EVH pedal is hard to beat.
    MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Quote Originally Posted by RGN
    Yes, the EVH pedal is really great. In script mode it sounds EXACTLY like a vintage MXR Phase 90. The EVH pedal is hard to beat.
    Have you actually A/Bd that pedal to a vintage MXR Phase 90? People say they don't? Wondering?
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Tommyologist

I've been looking for a great sounding Phase 90 Stratdeluxer.... Let me know how your research goes and maybe we can hook up! Love Page's Ten Years Gone sound with the Phase 90... Also the Shattered sound Keith Richards got.

I find with any of the newer Phase 90 pedals, the EVH included that i have tried the effect is too quiet! I really want it to sound like a boost when i kick it on.....

WhoFan

Quote Originally Posted by WhoFan
    I've been looking for a great sounding Phase 90 Stratdeluxer.... Let me know how your research goes and maybe we can hook up! Love Page's Ten Years Gone sound with the Phase 90... Also the Shattered sound Keith Richards got.

I find with any of the newer Phase 90 pedals, the EVH included that i have tried the effect is too quiet! I really want it to sound like a boost when i kick it on.....

WhoFan
    I'll let you know how it turns out? I have the board all done up and all components mounted on it...I'm only planning on building pedals for myself at this point in time though...Very labor intensive,and I don't see any money in building the pedals....Selling kits might be another story though?