Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TS7, TS9, or DS1

Interstate 70

Default TS7, TS9, or DS1

I hear good things about all these. I hear that a DS-1 modded is like having a $200 OD pedal.

Can a guy do better than a DS-1 modded? For a stack in a box like pedal to OD your fender Bassman a bit harder and earlier.

Let's say your local shelf has TS7, TS9 and a DS1. I want to do SRV like and still drive my strat hard into really rockin' mode. Is the DS-1 with a modification alteration the way to go?

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar

Default Re: TS7, TS9, or DS1

Quote Originally Posted by Interstate 70
    I hear good things about all these. I hear that a DS-1 modded is like having a $200 OD pedal.

Can a guy do better than a DS-1 modded? For a stack in a box like pedal to OD your fender Bassman a bit harder and earlier.

Let's say your local shelf has TS7, TS9 and a DS1. I want to do SRV like and still drive my strat hard into really rockin' mode. Is the DS-1 with a modification alteration the way to go?

It's pretty tough to put a DS1 and a TS into the same tonal equation.The DS1 rubs up against a Marshall JCM 800 on steroids kind of a tone after I mod one,but if you can find an early Japan made DS1,guys say you can get a great boosted tone from it also...

A TS is an overdrive and it is smoother and it doesn't grind and crunch like a DS1..SRV's tone would be more about an overdriven clean Fender amp,a TS,and a fuzz device on some of his songs...

The DS1 is more like a classic rock meets 80s kinda of a tone..There are lots of pedals better than the DS1,but not for the $40 that the new DS1 costs...
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Interstate 70

even with TS modded, it still is nothing like DS-1? i guess i have wrongly thought that barely on DS-1 would be like a TS and that a DS-1 is like a TS+++.

It sounds like I need to get one of each. Now, let's compare the TS-7 and Ts-9. Is the TS-7 modde better than an un-modded TS-9. do you think i'd rather have a marshalll jackhammer cuz it doesn't need the modifications?

Toadily Stratologist Guitar Toad's Avatar

Tell me what you end up with dude. I've been window shopping for one these as well. I've been thiinkng in terms of multiple OD pedals since i heard that SRV and Santana use 2 or three in series for their sounds. I've heard of one guy who uses 4 tube screams. That's gotta be insane, too much for me.
    A couple though ought to be just about right. Perhaps a DS-1 and visual sound route 66 or Jekyll and Hyde are sounding tastey to me.
    Last edited by Guitar Toad; 09-06-2005 at 03:28 PM.
    Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
    -Conrad Hilton

I think that there is a certain forum member that might be able to help out with the mods on this pedal. I completely recommend his modifications since he's done one on my pedal and use it like a religion.

Tv.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vault
    I think that there is a certain forum member that might be able to help out with the mods on this pedal. I completely recommend his modifications since he's done one on my pedal and use it like a religion.

Tv.
    Check the price you'll be paying and ask about the components you'll get with your mods before anyone touches any of your pedals..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

I would love to see Mr. Spina list of a ranking of OD pedals and tonal comparisons. What are the most worthwhile pedals to mod best to leave alone and use straight out of the box?
    Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
    -Conrad Hilton

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Toad
    I would love to see Mr. Spina list of a ranking of OD pedals and tonal comparisons. What are the most worthwhile pedals to mod best to leave alone and use straight out of the box?
    Ahhhhh heck,I don't know? LOL

I wana try a DS-1 after reading this.

I need a low noise high gain pedal.
    My JH-1 is super loud if I try to run much gain with it.
    Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97
    Ahhhhh heck,I don't know? LOL
    I guess I'm just gonna have to pay to play
    -Conrad Hilton

Don't forget the Maxon OD808

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Interstate 70

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_F
    Don't forget the Maxon OD808
    I've never heard of that one. thaanks.

my question really is...in one pedal more or less worthy of modifying than another? Which one's benefit the most from the modification tweaks?

Does it pay to buy cheap and then modify or is it better to just lay out the cash up front?

If you buy cheap and have it modded, you get the ability to have the modder help you define the tone you are looking for. You can end up with something custom fit for you and rather unique. (at least that's the way I think it works)

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Ultimate Tone Slacker James Rock's Avatar

maybe the pinnacle (check www.indyguitarist.com) it has 2 modes except it might not be what u r looking for and is a bit pricey (compared to BOSS and Ibanez)
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

my question really is...in one pedal more or less worthy of modifying than another? Which one's benefit the most from the modification tweaks?

Does it pay to buy cheap and then modify or is it better to just lay out the cash up front?
    Buy the pedal and see if you like it before ever thinking of having it modded...That's the wise thing to do...

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97
    Check the price you'll be paying and ask about the components you'll get with your mods before anyone touches any of your pedals..

John lies... do not ask any questions about anything AND ONLY send it to a forum member whose name begins with an "S" and ends with a "7!" I did such a thing and am glad I did. My TS9 is great...

BTW, John... the pedal is coming with me to England and Seoul... all other pedals are being left behind :hb:

it depends on what you consider "cheap." I consider $100USD cheap and think it is worth buying one and having it modded. I don't believe I will ever be caught spending more than $200USD on an OD/Distortion pedal.

Always look for what's the best "bang for your buck."

Tv.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vault
    John lies... do not ask any questions about anything AND ONLY send it to a forum member whose name begins with an "S" and ends with a "7!" I did such a thing and am glad I did. My TS9 is great...

BTW, John... the pedal is coming with me to England and Seoul... all other pedals are being left behind :hb:

LOL.......Ok send me the darn pedal for the mods already!

Fleecy Sweaterologist The Golden Boy's Avatar

My take on this may be a little "crazy" or whatever... but why not get what you're looking for, rather than trying to make something do what it's not meant to do. No disrespect intended, but if you don't know about the Ibanez/Maxon TS-808, maybe you should be playing with a bunch of different pedals and see what gets you into the neighborhood of where you want to be, before you get something you don't want and then try turning it into something you're not sure that you want.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I am just jug the merlot.

Interstate 70

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
    My take on this may be a little "crazy" or whatever... but why not get what you're looking for, rather than trying to make something do what it's not meant to do. No disrespect intended, but if you don't know about the Ibanez/Maxon TS-808, maybe you should be playing with a bunch of different pedals and see what gets you into the neighborhood of where you want to be, before you get something you don't want and then try turning it into something you're not sure that you want.
    Am I crazily simplistic. I guess I figured that overdrive pedals were all the same. You guys make it sound like ice cream. As if they all taste different. Like it's a science or something...is there really that much difference...I'll get my a%% down to the store and tell ya'll what I think about all these different ones.