Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speakers: my suggestions for the ultimate in tone

Lewguitar

Default Re: Speakers: my suggestions for the ultimate in tone

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Duke
    Right now I'm runnin at 8 Ohms, and the good Dr. said it is wired like a fender extension cab plug, and when you plug in the circuitry drops the impedance to 4 ohms.

Lew what difference (if any) can you tell between an 8, and 16 ohm speaker, or cab. It seems as if I remember someone saying that 16 ohm speakers sound fuller?

Luke
    I haven't done enough comparing to really say that I hear a diff between a 8 ohm speaker and a 16 ohm speaker. I hear a big diff in tone when an amp that wants to see a 8 ohm load is given a 16 ohm speaker load: the tone is weaker and grainier if there's a mismatch like that. But that's a differant thing.

Vintage Fender amps like a Vibrolux-Reverb sound best with the 4 ohm load of two 8 ohm speakers connected in parallel for a total of 4 ohms.

Plugging another 4 ohm load into the external speaker doesn't change what the amp wants to see. The total speaker load with a total of four 8 ohm speakers would be 2 ohms...but the amp will put out a little less power and the tone will be a little weaker. However, because four speakers have twice the surface area of two you might still like the tone of four speakers better and hear an increase in volume, even though the impedence is not what the amp wants to see.

I don't know if the DR. Z has multiple output transformer taps or not...if it did, like some Marshalls do, you'd see a switch on the back that would allow you to switch from 4 ohms, 8 ohms and maybe 16 ohms.

Lew

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by Trilogy
    Yeah excellent thread, thanks!

Lew, what are your feelings about the ri Greenbacks?
    I like them alot...but I like Vintage 30's and G12H30's better. The Greenback has those classic chonky sounding mids. (Kind of a cross between a "chunk" and a "honk": CHONK!") I'd like the Greenback more if it had a little deeper bass response when used in open back cabinets. When I've compared the Greenback to just about any stock speaker the Greenback usually out-performed it...but compared to the V30 or G12H30 I felt that those two outperformed the Greenback. But it's a great speaker.

Lew

Breogan

Lew, you really know something about speakers. Congrats!!

Have you heard about the Celestion Silver Series V12-80? If so, what is you opinion?

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by Breogan
    Lew, you really know something about speakers. Congrats!!

Have you heard about the Celestion Silver Series V12-80? If so, what is you opinion?
    I have not. The one Celestion calls the CLASSIC 80 is one of my favorites though. I've heard that Eric Johnson has also used the Classic 80. They still have that classic British voice and Celestion tone, but they're a little less "British" and a little more "USA" in tone. A little of both and Great speakers! Lew

Breogan

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar
    I have not. The one Celestion calls the CLASSIC 80 is one of my favorites though. I've heard that Eric Johnson has also used the Classic 80. They still have that classic British voice and Celestion tone, but they're a little less "British" and a little more "USA" in tone. A little of both and Great speakers! Lew
    Thanks Lew! I am not completely satisfied with the speaker in my ENGL thunder (A german version of Mesa amps) I may check thoose as a replacement. Or a better option could be the Vintage 30.

hey lew, have you tried the weber 12a 100 speaker?
    Last edited by newking70; 09-25-2005 at 03:08 AM.

Toolman of Tone

This is just plain wrong, IMO. What's a guy gotta do to make something that's Vault-worthy? Put this thread in The Vault.

Who's with me?
    Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Breogan

Quote Originally Posted by HamerPlyr
    This is just plain wrong, IMO. What's a guy gotta do to make something that's Vault-worthy? Put this thread in The Vault.

Who's with me?
    I am

What do you think about the ceramic and alnico hempcone tone tubbys?

Just wanting to know how powerful of speakers should I purchase to go along with my 2000 watt amp?

By the way I'm getting back into DJing and this is the first time I had to buy my own equipment

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_RRATZ
    Just wanting to know how powerful of speakers should I purchase to go along with my 2000 watt amp?

A setup that handles at least 2000 watts.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com