Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: what jcm 900 model is this? - any good?

Default Re: what jcm 900 model is this? - any good?

If you dont like it after all just LMK, Im sure we can work something out
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Have plenty of kleenex handy. You'll need it to wipe up your drool. They sound that good.

Cool, my dad is home in 5 minutes, I'll plead him for this, lol. And don't worry Zerb, if I don't like it we sure can work something out, but, if it's as good as you say, then I'm sure I will like it.

And I just bought it

FINALLY MY AMP SEARCH IS OVER.

<Stands and applauds> Congratulations. Make sure to give us updates once you get a chance to play through it, if you can stop that is.

Haha, thanks man..I feel I got a really good deal on this, at least according to the pictures it doesn't even look used at all.. I'm very happy.

Yup..good choice..thats one of the "good" 900s, and the only one I would buy (though I'm not fam with SL-X)

Since the 900's are a bit brighter, I'd go with a warmer speaker...I'd stay away from V30 celestions...though some like 'em. I'd go with the H30s, or greenback 20/25s. Not terribly familiar with other brands of speakers I'm afraid.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Thanks for your suggestions, I won't have the money for a cab right away anyway though, so I'll probably make a topic about cab/speaker recommendation later.

Now, I have a question..When people are talking about the later jcm 900's, and their so called "crappy" sound, because of other tubes and something with diode clipping..well, What I wanna know is, in what way is this older jcm 900 different from them, except for the tubes being another kind ?

By the way, has anyone got some sound clips of these early models jcm 900? odie? Erik H ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sune
    Thanks for your suggestions, I won't have the money for a cab right away anyway though, so I'll probably make a topic about cab/speaker recommendation later.

Now, I have a question..When people are talking about the later jcm 900's, and their so called "crappy" sound, because of other tubes and something with diode clipping..well, What I wanna know is, in what way is this older jcm 900 different from them, except for the tubes being another kind ?
    In addition to this question, how many pre amp tubes are there in this beast? how many power amp tubes? And which pre amp tubes? I know you said there were EL34 tubes in the power amp (or is it the pre amp?). Please bare with me, this is my first tube amp, and we all gotta start somewhere, but for now I'll just need these questions answered

Also, on the back, there's "direct" and "recording compensated" output lines..Are these something you use when recording ? a signal from the pre amp? see picture here: http://www.stalkerzone.dk/upload/f9_3.jpg

And then there's the power level output..Where I can change between the different impedances, and then there's a button called "mode", where it says "high" and "low", what is this for? is this the switch between 50 and 25 watts? see picture here: http://www.stalkerzone.dk/upload/76_3.jpg

Thank you for your time.

ahhh, i'd love a JCM 900! if you think the gain is a bit fizzy, pass it my way and i'll pass you my dsl 401

tom

Hehe, you're not the first one wanting it also, but we'll see, I heard some clips of a jcm 900 and I quite liked it, so I doubt I won't like this

i've recorded demos with 900s on a couple of occasions, they always sound sweet no matter how crap the mikes

also, get 'this side of brightness' by thursday - or anything else off the 'waiting' album - its ALL 900s, and they all sound very 'honest' on record (they basically home recorded it!)

tom

But is it the same model? I know they use different tubes..The one I got is said to be one of the 'better' ones..With EL34's.

not a clue - no records anywhere tell of the model, since thursday were little more than a well-known local band... when they got signed, they started A/Bing vox AC30s and Bogner Uberschalls

but the cleans sound different to the EL34s i'm used to hearing.. was it 6881s or something the other 900s had?

still, the gain circuitry and tone stack are probably very close.. worth a listen, whatever amp it was

tom

I can't remember what the other JCM 900 models have, but hopefully somebody will chime in.. I'd love to hear soundclips of the kind of jcm 900 I bought, since I've only heard clips from the "normal" jcm 900.. And I even like dthose clips, so if the model I purchased is even better, then I'm sure I'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sune
    In addition to this question, how many pre amp tubes are there in this beast? how many power amp tubes? And which pre amp tubes? I know you said there were EL34 tubes in the power amp (or is it the pre amp?). Please bare with me, this is my first tube amp, and we all gotta start somewhere, but for now I'll just need these questions answered
    3 12AX7s

Also, on the back, there's "direct" and "recording compensated" output lines..Are these something you use when recording ? a signal from the pre amp? see picture here: http://www.stalkerzone.dk/upload/f9_3.jpg
    Direct out can be used to slave another amp behind it, or with a speaker simulator between it and the console... the "Recording Compensated" is for direct amp-> console recording w/o Speaker sim.

And then there's the power level output..Where I can change between the different impedances, and then there's a button called "mode", where it says "high" and "low", what is this for? is this the switch between 50 and 25 watts? see picture here: http://www.stalkerzone.dk/upload/76_3.jpg

Thank you for your time.
    Yes, thats your Triode /Pentode switch (25/50 watts)
    Last edited by Zerberus; 09-25-2005 at 11:51 AM. Reason: forgot the quote marker.....

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

and im pretty sure the direct jack is for putting straight into a P.A. desk for live work, whereas the R.C. output is adjusted for a recording desk?

never gotten much out of them mind, whatever happened to just sticking a mic on a stand and telling the amp how YOU want it to sound?

tom

EDIT - duuuuuuuuh, the zerbster beat me there.. is the direct out AKA the preamp out?

tom
    Last edited by Imp; 09-25-2005 at 11:52 AM.

Cool, thanks for all your answers... I found some clips of the usual model jcm 900 here, actually the distortion sounds quite brutal:

http://www.jlhproducts.com/axetrak/soundclips.asp

But I've read that the "Marshall JCM-900 2500 Hi gain master volume" is supposed to have even more gain, this can get really brutal.

And the one in the clip is supposed to be one of the crappier ones.

Odie or Erik H, please make some clips of the Hi gain master volume model you have!
    Last edited by Sune; 09-25-2005 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imp
    .. is the direct out AKA the preamp out?

tom
    AFAI remember, yes.