Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: what jcm 900 model is this? - any good?

Default Re: what jcm 900 model is this? - any good?

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH
    The early DR's are really good, at least up until the changed to 5881's. With EL34's they have the mojo. I still remember cranking one up in the store I worked in back then. We had it hooked up to two 4x12's. Man, the feeling of a cranked Marshall stack behind you is awesome. Good thing the owner wasn't there that day.
    I had a DR 100 watter (first one to hit the local store ever...very early model) for all of 3 weeks. I didn't like it at the time and went back to my 800 and Laney...but it very well could have been a dog..it did not have the "thump" of an 800. But I'd be willing to try another as certainly my tastes have changed and I am *slightly* wiser than I was 15 years ago
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

I have to agree with you. They don't have the thump of an 800 but I'm sure a little tweaky here and there can help that. That's one thing I live about my MV, it has the thump, but with more built-in gain.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Hey Sune it's a good choice, congrats for the amp! have MUCH fun with it! If you'll love just half the way as I like mine you'd fvck this head soon

About the buzzing 2500 SL-X: you decide

JCM 2500 SL-X thru 4x12" Greenback Laney

For all the brothers who still remember me: guys I'm alright and actually I feel 4 or 5 times better than anytime before!

- I have a beautiful relationship with the loveliest girl I've ever met, it's really beyond words;
    - I play times more than before;
    - I don't have G.A.S. anymore (I just need a Dean V79 for the road tear&wear but that's all ) ;
    - I realised that I'm just a lucky MoFo ;
    - ...and everything in between

Things are great but they leave a little or no time for hanging around so I just jumped in to say HELLO 4 y'all

METAL!!!!!

Miki

Cool, it has a pretty thick rythm tone, I wish you mixed the leads a bit higher though. But mine isn't the exact same model. Also - What pickups were used?

Hell yeah, Miki. That's how the SL-X shoulda sounded. Awesome. What year is yours? Did it come with EL34's or 5881's?

Sune, you can get that out of the MkIII by slamming the front end of it with a tube screamer.

Well, yes, but I don't have a tubescreamer, so how does it sound "stock" ?? That's what I don't know, that's why I want clips

But I'm sure as with most amps, it sounds even better in real life, when you hear it 'live'.

Stock, it's still very heavy. Not as much gain as the SL-X but still, playing Metallica riffs isn't a problem, at least for me anyway.

I'll see what I can do. No promises though.

No, it's alright.. I understand that it's only a big maybe.. And I'm sure it has gain enough, it's not like I'm a gain-o-holic, but I just need enough for some classic/hard rock, and maybe a bit of heavy metal.

Then you are set.

If you have any Great White, take a listen to the tone of the soloing on "House of Broken Love", "Rock Me" rhythms and solos, stuff from that era, and even in to some of their early 90's stuff, "Big Goodbye" and "Face the Day". My amp is dialed in so close to Mark's sound it's scary. Playing my LP through it really sings. Whether I have the gain sensativity maxed or whether I have it half way and push the front with my booster, both sound very close to one another. The nice thing about using the booster is I kick it off then roll back my guitar's volume for a semi-clean tone. It works.

Unfortunaly I do not know the band, but I could check it out. And maybe I could get a tubescreamer in the future. Right now I need the amp to arrive, and then I need to make the second payment on my guitar, and then I'll pretty much have empty pockets for now.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Sune:
    Sure, you have a MK III. There is no SL-X capitals on the front panel and that indicates an MK III. I meant, that's a great amp, too (that you'd fvck soon )
    Mix - it's intentionally in the back
    Pups - SH8B, all the way!

ErikH:
    \m/ !
    Mine is loaded with EL34 tubes. No mods, whatsoever. I like the way it is
    Year: AFAIN it's from 1995 but I might be wrong. Telling the truth I haven't even looked at the serial number or any trace of the production date, it was said "It's a '95 SL-X blah..." when I bought it.

Miki: That explains your tone. The EL34's make all the difference. Check out the serial number for me and I can tell you what year it is for sure.

Sune: Great White is a very bluesy/classic rock type of band, but they made it big in the 80's amongst the 80's hair metal scene. They really stood out but never got all the attention they deserved. It is truly great stuff.

You got the biggest expense out of the way, that being the amp. Not sure if you owe your dad for it but man, that is cool of him to pay for it. Be very thankful for that. Do the dishes, laundry, mow the lawn, sort his socks, whatever, just to show how much that means to you.

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by Sune
    No, it's alright.. I understand that it's only a big maybe.. And I'm sure it has gain enough, it's not like I'm a gain-o-holic, but I just need enough for some classic/hard rock, and maybe a bit of heavy metal.
    You will have no problem getting your desired tones out of this amp!!!!

One thing I should note, I got it and at the time I had a Peavey 4X12 XXL cab and it didnt sound the greatest unless I was using a Custom Custom through it!!! When I broke down and bought a Marshall cab, it came alive!! I got the 1960B cab and it sounded good. Shortly after, I got a 1960AV and it was even better!!! It really likes the Celestion V30 speakers!!!! Get a Marshall 1936 or something with V30's and you will be set!
    Last edited by theodie; 09-28-2005 at 06:40 PM.

No offense, but that SL-X sure sounds a little buzzy to me in the top end ...with headphones at least..... not recto buzzy, mind you, but buzzy...It *is* tight though in the low end. I can see it as Marshall's answer at the time to the Dual Rec.

Great playing BTW!
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by theodie
    You will have no problem getting your desired tones out of this amp!!!!

One thing I should note, I got it and at the time I had a Peavey 4X12 XXL cab and it didnt sound the greatest unless I was using a Custom Custom through it!!! When I broke down and bought a Marshall cab, it came alive!! I got the 1960B cab and it sounded good. Shortly after, I got a 1960AV and it was even better!!! It really likes the Celestion V30 speakers!!!! Get a Marshall 1936 or something with V30's and you will be set!
    Actually I was planning on getting the 1936 cab. And since it also says "jcm 900" in the bottom it would fit perfectly, both in sound and looks

Just listened to "rock me" and "house of broken love" by Great White as recommended by Erik.. Very nice tone, I must say. Very singing tone, as you described, and alot of emotion in it. What pickup can you nail it with? Your JB? I hope so, since that's what I'm getting

But basically it's what I would call a cool classic rock tone.

Currently I've been playing my Epi LP which has a Custom Custom and that nails it good. The JB will still do it very well but since it is hotter than the Custom Custom, I usually have to roll the gain sensitivity on the amp back a few notches, at least for that style. For all out metal, it's on 20.

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by Sune
    What pickup can you nail it with? Your JB? I hope so, since that's what I'm getting

NOOOOOO, Dont do it man!!!!!! I am begging you to not do it!!!!!!!!

Well.. Give me a good reason NOT to ??

I have no idea why you hate it this much, and I've never really heard a good reason why

I'm stayin' out of this one. Too many threads in battle with Dave and his JB stance...