Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I string up my geetars... (PICS)

Arrow How I string up my geetars... (PICS)

Okay, get the hole in the peg lined up at a right angle to the direction the string is going to go and run the string through it. Now, you're only going to leave a small amount of slack on the string, say about two fingers worth.

Now bend and crimp the string end back around the top of the post.

Now bring the string end back UNDER the string length

Now pull the string straight up so that you can put a lot of tension on it. Keep tension on the main string from here on out..

Time to wind the peg and see how the string that you bent up is now trapped under the first wind?

Clip off the excess and you're good to go. Time to finish up and then tune up, stretch out the strings, tune up again, stretch out, tune up, play hard, tune up again, maybe stretch again. After about 5 minutes you ought to be stable.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Default Re: How I string up my geetars... (PICS)

Good thread, Scott !! That's absolutely correct!!!! Glad ya mentioned keeping TENSION on the string while winding it. This prevents slippage, and makes for a nice, tight, neat wrap. Now,....if all ya Pauly Players will string up like this, and keep yer Guitars set up properly, you can forget all about locking tuners. Ya won't need em.
    Only The Strong Survive

3 cent hero

i've strung my guitars like that for 6 years

This should definitely go in the vault.

Ryan

The funny thing is that that description of how to properly string a guitar has been in Gibson and Fender owner's manuals for the last half a century, but so few people even payed attention to it. We don't need no stinkin Sperzels! That stringing technique, along with perfect intonation and a properly cut nut, is all you need to have a guitar that stays in perfect tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

https://www.accountkiller.com/removal-requested

I often heard about this style of stringing up but have never tried it because I couldnt tell just from text.

The pictures help. Send this to the vault and I will look back when I change next.

Deinetly vault material. Pretty much how I do it, except I don't bother to crimp it back, or do anything else with the loose end - just put it through,hold it taught and wind the peg so the first wrap goes over the loose end and all the others under. Your way looks a bit better because the end that gets cut off gets trapped under the first wind instead of just between the first and second winds.
    Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser
    The funny thing is that that description of how to properly string a guitar has been in Gibson and Fender owner's manuals for the last half a century, but so few people even payed attention to it.
    haha ... I see an aweful lot of sloppy stringing jobs on ebay. Believe it or not, sometimes I take that as a sign that someone doesn't know a lot about taking care of their instument. Sometimes if there's a picture of the bridge from the top, I can tell if it's intonated correctly. It's the little things that make a difference.

thanks for the pics!
    "music heals"
    facebook

Quote Originally Posted by rspst14
    This should definitely go in the vault.

Ryan
    Definitely. Great job, Scott!
    Fender MIA Strat/Antiquity s.c.'s, Fender MIJ 60's Strat w/SSL-1n/APS1m/SSL-1b, Gibson LP Studio w/Jazz/a slightly aged PAF-soundin' road-worn JB,'06 Schecter Corsair semi-hollow w/DD HB101's(same as 59's), Schecter C-1 Classic w/SD Jazz-n/JB-b, a couple of Epi's w/SD's, Fender amps (DRRI and Blues DeVille) and Marshall (DSL2000 50watt and 2x12 cab loaded with V30's)- Effects:TS-9, Vox 847 wah (thanks, John S.!), Fulltone OCD, and an assortment of colors

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser
    We don't need no stinkin Sperzels!
    That's right! And that's why I'm putting Schaller locking tuners in my Strat instead!
    Fender MIA Strat/Antiquity s.c.'s, Fender MIJ 60's Strat w/SSL-1n/APS1m/SSL-1b, Gibson LP Studio w/Jazz/a slightly aged PAF-soundin' road-worn JB,'06 Schecter Corsair semi-hollow w/DD HB101's(same as 59's), Schecter C-1 Classic w/SD Jazz-n/JB-b, a couple of Epi's w/SD's, Fender amps (DRRI and Blues DeVille) and Marshall (DSL2000 50watt and 2x12 cab loaded with V30's)- Effects:TS-9, Vox 847 wah (thanks, John S.!), Fulltone OCD, and an assortment of colors

OK, I admit this is weird ... I love Sperzels, even the old non-locking ones, but I just can't quite get used to seeing a tuner without a couple wraps on it.
    "music heals"
    facebook

You're really enjoying that new camera, aren't you Scott?

Cool thread, great pics. I've never actually used that method, but I'm going to try it next time I restring.

Hmm. I didn't know that one. Not really necissary when I have a locking nut, but I think I'll start using it anyway.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Mo Cow Bellologist texasguitarslinger's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: How I string up my geetars... (PICS)

Mmmm, I thought everyone used that method. I've been stringing my guitars like that since 1984.
    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by StefanM
    Deinetly vault material. Pretty much how I do it, except I don't bother to crimp it back, or do anything else with the loose end - just put it through,hold it taught and wind the peg so the first wrap goes over the loose end and all the others under. Your way looks a bit better because the end that gets cut off gets trapped under the first wind instead of just between the first and second winds.
    That's how I string mine too. I'm going to try Scott's way next time, because it looks much cleaner than my way. I've seen this described in countless books with one or maybe two pictures, but Scott's explanation is the clearest I've seen.
    "Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_F
    You're really enjoying that new camera, aren't you Scott?

Cool thread, great pics. I've never actually used that method, but I'm going to try it next time I restring.
    Actually, I did that with my wife's old digital several months back from someone. Her dig is the "less than 1 megapixel" Olympus, or it's like a whopping 1.1 or 1.2 mp. Been working great for 4 or 5 years now. No zoom. But it's still a great work camera for her (real estate).

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

i cant see your pics scott
    "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

oh, they are there now... how odd. my computer is being pathetic as usual. thanks scott, thats a really useful resource!
    "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Best explanation I've ever seen of that method. Definitely much more stable than just keeping tension while stringing it (although you do that here too). Definitely for the vault.