Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VH (Feel your love Tonight) "sound clip" playing along with CD

Ultimate Tone Slacker SoCalSteve's Avatar

Default Re: VH (Feel your love Tonight) "sound clip" playing along with CD

VH's tone is the Holy Grail to some of us. I'd love to have VHoholics chops and tone! Keep it up! Don't we all play guitar first for our own enjoyment? I'll never tire of the brown sound. In fact I just bought a new copy of Fair Warning because of a reappreciation of that sound.
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Super Toneologist

I would also like to add that I try to base my tone off of EVH's tone on VH2. That does'nt mean that my tone sounds just like it because it does'nt, but I listened to that tone and used it as a building block to try and find a sound that I like to play with. Like VHoholic said it's been 20-some years and people are still facinated with "the brown sound" to one degree or another. I think it's one of the best, most unique tones out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M.
    If I may. Yes, VHoholic does have the Van Halen thing down to the tee. And as cool as that is what I find most impressive are his chops. That guy can definatley play, no question about it. And as many great players as there are on this forum I personally am most impressed with VHoholic's skill's. Wish I had half of his chops!
    hey if you like it cool, as far as chops as concerned i think guys like vai,satch, gilbert,malmsteen,and those guys have a lot more chops than evh does.
    when evh first came out it was impressive but now after all those guys i mentioned it sounds like he is sloppy and slow
    i fashion myself after guys like malmsteen,lane,holdsworth,gilbert and that is where chops come in.
    evh's stuff is fairly easy to me to play.

Unseen

But has any of those written something we remember??
    Chops are nice, but I cannot stand two seconds of Yngwie before I get an urge to wring his neck
    I prefer Carlton, Landau, Huff, Van Halen and Satch...the rest is just too much gymnastics to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rid
    But has any of those written something we remember??
    Chops are nice, but I cannot stand two seconds of Yngwie before I get an urge to wring his neck
    I prefer Carlton, Landau, Huff, Van Halen and Satch...the rest is just too much gymnastics to me.
    I just dont get why everyone makes such a big ado about eddie vanhalen?
    he just copied hendrix for the whammy stuff. the bluesy stuff he got from clapton had a cranked marshall amp, played a ghetto strat, stole the tapping technique from harvey mandel,got his pinch harmonics from billy gibbons what is so original about him?

I think the guy is totally overrated and long gone,everyone is so heated up about his new tour,BIG DEAL! i would much rather stay home and play anyday of the week than go to a girlie song old fart guitar playing hasbeen
    give me alan holdsworth then your talking ORIGINAL

Unseen

Hehe nobody is original, it has all been done before
    As for taste...well we are all different.
    Van Halen inspired alot of people, Holdsworth is an inspiration to Edward...and so on.
    Music never gets too old, there is always something to get.

Hehe nobody is original, it has all been done before
    JIMI HENDRIX was original,ALAN HOLDSWORTH is original

Unseen

Hehe right...and Mozart was a hack

Hehe right...and Mozart was a hack
    A hack? no! a NUT? YEEESSSS!

sorry but i just dont get off listening to somebody doing someones elses thing no matter how good a job is done with it so

Unseen

Hendrix used several things for inspiration, so did Holdsworth...they just played it their own way.
    Somebody who keeps expanding is Jeff Beck....man I love his stuff, I still wonder what people will remember 200 years from now??
    Probally Mozart

Quote Originally Posted by RG 2570
    he just copied hendrix for the whammy stuff. the bluesy stuff he got from clapton had a cranked marshall amp, played a ghetto strat, stole the tapping technique from harvey mandel,got his pinch harmonics from billy gibbons what is so original about him?
    I think you just about summed it up - everyone copies from everyone - the greats, EVH included, roll it all up into their own style and sound and make it their own. You mention a lot of heavy hitters as well but I think your hammering one of them.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Marinblues's Avatar

I just can't tell that it's not Eddie playing.

You are quite welcome man.
    I think your clips are great and fun.
    Van Halen was one of my reasons to even play the guitar, plus I have always loved the sound of big old Marshalls
    Yeah man, you can't beat that good old cranked Marshall sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M.
    If I may. Yes, VHoholic does have the Van Halen thing down to the tee. And as cool as that is what I find most impressive are his chops. That guy can definatley play, no question about it. And as many great players as there are on this forum I personally am most impressed with VHoholic's skill's. Wish I had half of his chops!
    Mike, thanks again bro! I read through your original post and forgot that you had asked me if i used a Floyd Rose. For the guitar on this clip there's no Floyd, just a standard Tune-O-Matic bridge with the Stop Bar Tailpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo
    Killer! I love your sound. You really make it work here. You have some strict attention to detail
    Thanks Stevo!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSteve
    VH's tone is the Holy Grail to some of us. I'd love to have VHoholics chops and tone! Keep it up! Don't we all play guitar first for our own enjoyment? I'll never tire of the brown sound. In fact I just bought a new copy of Fair Warning because of a reappreciation of that sound.
    Thanks SoCalSteve!

hey if you like it cool, as far as chops as concerned i think guys like vai,satch, gilbert,malmsteen,and those guys have a lot more chops than evh does.
    when evh first came out it was impressive but now after all those guys i mentioned it sounds like he is sloppy and slow
    i fashion myself after guys like malmsteen,lane,holdsworth,gilbert and that is where chops come in.
    evh's stuff is fairly easy to me to play.
    Actually those are some awesome guitarists you just mentioned. Great influences. If you can, post some clips. I would love to hear your playing!

Bullet Proof Toneologist kevlar3000's Avatar

I think the guy is totally overrated and long gone,everyone is so heated up about his new tour,BIG DEAL! i would much rather stay home and play anyday of the week than go to a girlie song old fart guitar playing hasbeen
    give me alan holdsworth then your talking ORIGINAL
    So Jimi is no good cause he stole from Muddy and Hooker? Clapton stole from Muddy and Hooker, is he no good either? Holdsworth stole from Coltrane, so is he now not worth his contributions? Malmsteen stole from Blackmore, Paganini and Jimi... Ed like Jimi, Beck, Clapton, redefined the vocabulary and sound of rock and roll. I can't even put Malmsteen anywhere in that group as his niche did not change music as we know it, he has some nice chops but nothing that has changed how the guitar was played, his contribution has more to do with why the 80s guitar style died such a pathetic death. It was overkill. I would rather listen to Eruption over Blackstar anyday of the week. One is rock and roll and one is pure classical phrases played with distortion. You can't call anyone who changed the face of music as we know it overrated, the influence is there for a reason. You don't have to like Ed but you can't say he didn't change the rules in 1978 just like Jimi did in 66. You wanna talk has been go see Malmsteen play for 100 people at some no name bar in the sticks. He just did it here in Minneapolis and oddly enough no one has said a single thing about it since. Because no one cared.

Remember VH toured with Holdsworth early on because he wanted Alan to be heard, sadly they were booed off the stage much to Ed's frustration. He couldn't believe that folks didn't dig it. Ed also was going to produce an Alan in the late 80s and Alan blew the chance.

I like hendrix, i like clapton , i like holdsworth, but you aint gonna make me like eddie van heflin so accept it i dont care what you say he has done on guitar the guy is a clown and if you want to note for note him then be my guest

I like hendrix, i like clapton , i like holdsworth, but you aint gonna make me like eddie van heflin so accept it i dont care what you say he has done on guitar the guy is a clown and if you want to note for note him then be my guest
    I never said you have to like him, but as a guitar player you have to recognize his influence. He changed the game both sonically and in terms of vocabulary. In a historical context he and Jimi changed the perception of what an electric guitar could do on a scale ( the number of people influenced) that few if any other players in the history of rock can approach. That is why the interest in both is still so strong.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000
    I never said you have to like him, but as a guitar player you have to recognize his influence. He changed the game both sonically and in terms of vocabulary. In a historical context he and Jimi changed the perception of what an electric guitar could do on a scale ( the number of people influenced) that few if any other players in the history of rock can approach. That is why the interest in both is still so strong.
    OK then i will say uncle.

eddie van was a influence on many players,but not on me!

OK then i will say uncle.

eddie van was a influence on many players,but not on me!
    lol

Unseen

Haha it is like saying that you play without strings